Bachmann 0n30 Shays

Loconuts

I have a couple of Bachmann Shays which have spent the last 7 years at the back of a draw and as they do not fit in with my big loco policy I have decided it is time they went.

Hardly used and one would say just run in, one is fitted with a Lenze Decoder the other is standard factory finished.

If any can offer them a good home please contact me.  I have been advised to price them in the £125 range + Postage and packing

I do not want to start a bidding war so it is first come with a sensible offer first served.

Loconuts

I have a couple of Bachmann Shays which have spent the last 7 years at the back of a draw and as they do not fit in with my big loco policy I have decided it is time they went.

Hardly used and one would say just run in, one is fitted with a Lenze Decoder the other is standard factory finished.

If any can offer them a good home please contact me.  I have been advised to price them in the £125 range + Postage and packing

I do not want to start a bidding war so it is first come with a sensible offer first served.

Loconuts

Perhaps  an  advert  in  the  classified  section  would  be  beneficial,  I  have  sold  quite  a  few  0n30  items there!

The  current NEW  Discount  price at Tower Models who usually  offer  the  best  0n30 prices in the  UK  is £187.50  (RRP£225)  thats  for  the  DCC on  board  NON  Sound  versions.

There  are  usually  a  few  on  eBay ( 4 at  the  moment  ranging  from £75  No Bids!  to £379  !!  (from  the  USA  No  Chance!!)

Loconuts

Perhaps  an  advert  in  the  classified  section  would  be  beneficial,  I  have  sold  quite  a  few  0n30  items there!

The  current NEW  Discount  price at Tower Models who usually  offer  the  best  0n30 prices in the  UK  is £187.50  (RRP£225)  thats  for  the  DCC on  board  NON  Sound  versions.

There  are  usually  a  few  on  eBay ( 4 at  the  moment  ranging  from £75  No Bids!  to £379  !!  (from  the  USA  No  Chance!!)

Hi Steve

Thanks for your advice but I thought it best to put it as a topic in the Narrow Gauge section where the Narrow Gauge modelers would see it.  I agree that it is difficult to price them at the moment due to Bachmanns policy on production of 0n30 models.  I was advise to pitch them at the £125 mark but at the same time accept offers.

I have been offered £75 for each but due to the fact that I paid a lot more for them at the time and that they have not been run much I wanted to recoup a price nearer to what I paid.  If they do not sell then they will go back into the draw until another day.

Many thanks for your thoughts

Loconuts 

I know  what  you  mean,  we  have  a  leaning  towards  0n30 Mallets  here,  which  cost  us  nearly twice  the  price in  the  first  release year or  two of  the  BNIB ones purchased recently.

I was  talking  to  a  trader this week,  I was at his  house he  has  rooms  full of NG in various  gauges who was  saying  that  the  bottom has  just simply  dropped out of the  market.

I know  what  you  mean,  we  have  a  leaning  towards  0n30 Mallets  here,  which  cost  us  nearly twice  the  price in  the  first  release year or  two of  the  BNIB ones purchased recently.

I was  talking  to  a  trader this week,  I was at his  house he  has  rooms  full of NG in various  gauges who was  saying  that  the  bottom has  just simply  dropped out of the  market.

Do you think he was just referring to the Bachmann On30 range or narrow gauge of all types and scales?

Do you think he was just referring to the Bachmann On30 range or narrow gauge of all types and scales?

He  was  referring  to  Model  Railways  in general!!  Standard  gauge  and  narrow  Gauge,  He   stocks  a  very  broad  spectrum,    and  sales generally  have been poor recently  with anticipated seasonal  sales  not  materialising.

I think a lot  of  factors  are in  play  here, the  general reluctance to purchase non essential  items due to  the   financial situation  ( the UK news  has been  full of   articles on Food Banks, for  those unable  to afford food today)    Also  it  seems  that   the  younger generation  are  still not  being attracted  into  the  hobby  long  term,  thus  the  market  base  is  continually  contracting.

If you could divide the model railway market into segments it would be interesting to compare sales say for the last five years of segments like, RTR stock, RTL track, track components, loco and rolling stock kits, general accessories spares and components, scenic kits, DCC controls, etc. From what I read about Hornby sales might be better if availability improved....

He  was  referring  to  Model  Railways  in general!!  Standard  gauge  and  narrow  Gauge,  He   stocks  a  very  broad  spectrum,    and  sales generally  have been poor recently  with anticipated seasonal  sales  not  materialising.

I think a lot  of  factors  are in  play  here, the  general reluctance to purchase non essential  items due to  the   financial situation  ( the UK news  has been  full of   articles on Food Banks, for  those unable  to afford food today)    Also  it  seems  that   the  younger generation  are  still not  being attracted  into  the  hobby  long  term,  thus  the  market  base  is  continually  contracting.

I agree with this sentiment, however we do have the collector market to take into account.  These are the guys that buy anything produced by the RTR manufacturers and several models at a time.  They have been bolstering the sales figures of the manufacturers and retailers but only go for hugely discounted prices.

Prices are going up for Chinese produced items and there have been manufacturing problems there not helped by the collapse of the American and European market.  Manufacturers are struggling and are looking to increase profit.  This might mean cutting out the middle man (Retailer) and supplying direct.

It looks as though Hornby is the first to go in that direction and for what I have been told Bachmann are looking at their products and supply.  The world is a changing as they say and I think we are about to enter into another era.

Yes life is going to get harder for us poor worker ants in the future, we have been warned by MP's, the Bank of England and the Institute of Fiscal Studies.  Less money to spend on leisure pursuits.

Still does not sell my 2 Shays.

Loconuts 

A year ago they were in plentiful supply here for about $100. Now they are not available and who knows whether Bachmann will produce another batch. I missed my opportunity and now wish I hadn't - I may come back to you.......

A year ago they were in plentiful supply here for about $100. Now they are not available and who knows whether Bachmann will produce another batch. I missed my opportunity and now wish I hadn't - I may come back to you.......

They will come back, was told this by Paul Martin of EDM Models, however the batch will be smaller and the cost higher due to the turmoil in China.  Bachmann are just resting the models as they have been around for some time.

According to Lee Riley of Bachmann, the 2-8-0 has been dropped from the catalogue so if you want one and see one for sale grab it.  I have just picked up a new one from my local retailer which I believe was the last new one in captivity in the UK.  He did not even know he had one in stock as it was mixed in with a lot of other boxes.

Loconuts 

Archived