BR (W) 16xx loco

well see if there is someone out there who can help an old duffer.............I have recently purchased a Nu-cast 16xx loco which turned up in gwr green and transfers , no number plates though,  straight away to good old Jim Russell and he says it came out in 1949 in BR black, I have trawled the internet and have not found one example of a 16xx in gwr colours, so I am satisfied it will be re-painted in br black with early motif.........I am presuming it is a nu-cast kit as it is very heavy, brass chassis and the front smoke box opens to reveal inside detail...........

my question is this  1) does anyone have a picture of a 16xx in gwr green

2) what would the correct colour of the cabside number plate be in br black,

I  am hoping there is a wise old owl out there somewhere.....................

all the best.Dave Brighty

As for the cab-side number-plate background colour, you'd have to research the particular loco that you want to model. Red back-ground was used mainly on locos in the early BR emblem, Black used on most in the days of the late emblem, -BUT there were exceptions. All were built AFTER nationalisation (1949 on), so none were ever original GW green. The last one I saw was 1638 on Chester shed, it had a late emblem, I have a pic somewhere in the deep, dark depths of my 'archive'!?

Here are a couple of snaps of my 'Sutherland/NuCast 16xx.

Not green I'm afraid as CK is right.

attachicon.gif008.JPG

attachicon.gif012.JPG

Lovely; takes me back to primary school (Furnace County Primary, next to the Llanelly and Mynydd Mawr). A couple of times a day, a pair of these would pass at the head of an empty coal train, with a third banking. They generated a fair amount of flange-squeal, but nothing like the EE Type 3s that replaced them in my final year there (1965-6). Llanelly shed (87F) had quite a few, as they served both the L&MMR and the BP&GVR.

well a big thank you to all the replies I received, I think we can put this one to bed, no green GWR 16xx, and mainly black backgrounds on the cabside plates, seems to be the order of the day, I must say I thought the 2 piccies were very nice, and again thank you for your comments, next job get on with the re-paint............

many thanks...Dave Brighty

Archived