Ais Gill summit layout

ben pez

Ben,

The 'serious trespassing' shot and the one that follows it demonstrate just what an excellent job you've done on the trackwork and ballast.Idont dislike the A3, and they weren't completely absent from the G&SWR/LMS/BR lines around Hurlford, Kilmarnock and Ayr. They commonly pulled specials to Ayr races or Butlins camp at Heads of Ayr from Newcastle, via the Nith valley or Edinburgh via Glasgow. We also had other LNER interlopers in the shape of a couple of B1s and even a V2 which ended up stored out of service at Hurlford shed in the sixties! Sorry about the ramble - once again great and inspirational work mate!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Cheers jock,much appreciated,dont see it as a ramble,its not,its intresting facts from a bygone era.

Im just glad leeds holbeck had a couple of a3s for a time that were sometimes used on the waverley so i can justify it being on a S&C layout!

Cheers

Ben

Just came across this thread and very nice, I particularly like the wooden bridge model, i can just remember standing on the real thing many years ago and it was a hair raising experience to say the least. Also I like the a3's weatheting very nice.

Gary

• RMweb Premium

Ben, agree with all the comments about the recent batch of photos. Excellent. The sheep, walls, general scenics and lighting blend really well together and look very authentic. And yes, the A3s may not have been on the S&C for very long, but they WERE there!

What ballast mix did you use? Just curious as these days I tend to ballast using a predominance of Woodland Scenics grey blend N gauge ballast.

Jeff

Hiya jeff

Thanks for that.

The ballast ive used on the layout is woodland scenic grey fine stuff.

Although ive just been up in the loft to look at the exact name of it,and must have thrown the cardboard bit thats stapled to the bag away!

Cant remember the exact name for it,its got little black bits already mixed in with it.

I used this thinking it would give a bit of contrast in the ballast,still got to get round to weathering the ballast on the layout.

One of many things to do!

Sorry i cant be of more help regarding exactly which ballast it is jeff,next time im in peters spares i'll have to have a look.

Cheers

Ben

• Like 2

I like the drystone walling, some of the best I've seen. They appear to be sectional which makes me wonder if they are a commercial product. Many modelled walls I've seen tend to have stones that are way too big and too regular, in reality a high proportion are quite small. Also there are often no "throughs" which tie the sides together, the walls usually have cores made of all the rubble created in the construction. Admittedly the construction varies considerably depending on the stone available at the site. A visit to the Dales with a camera to picture lots of walls would undoubtably be useful.

Edward

• 2 weeks later...

Not done really anything interesting to the layout recently.

But ive tried to to put a bit of life into an old Hornby midland compound by adding some detail/crew,screw link coupling and headboard from that 1980s S&C rail tour.

It will never be as good as the Bachmann model,its just something ive had for years sitting in its box.

8DA861E4-4B24-4D9F-B180-2818DCBD1A85_zps

Cheers

• Like 3

Havent done a thing on the layout for a while now due to been busy with work etc.

But was up in the loft tonight tidying some things away and had a black five running.

Just the one photo as i was busy!

Cheers

9FFCA9F0-83B1-4A56-9672-470E458792C4_zps

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Just the one photo as i was busy!

Ben,

That's a really nice picture that in my mind captures the mood of a dull day in the early evening as the lighting on the wall/ceiling in the background look just like a low bank of cloud overhead with clear skies to the South East showing through just above the horizon above the fells.

Kind regards, Neil

Of course, I don't know the location enough to know if we are looking South East... If it's West then it must be morning and that clear sky over the fells is to the North West!

Cheers for the kind comments lads.

As for the facing crossover mike...

It was a major mistake! I didn't realise my mistake until after id wired & ballasted the trackwork!

Prototype trackwork certainly aint my "fortae" ha ha!

Cheers

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everyone had a good xmas

Got a decent xmas present from me brother(he must be doing well at work!)

Bachmann fairburn tank

I'll have to get some better pics with natural light coming through the loft windows

D4AA8B99-15D3-428B-943F-327CF38B7303_zps

Cheers

Ben

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Had a spare few hours today for once!

And actually done something on the layout!..

Fitted 15 foot of backscene..

63E544BA-45AE-4D22-84BF-6A395CD99E2B_zps

Couple of close up photos

72295941-AE33-42A1-87AB-0614BB1C9ABF_zps

AC087E24-E786-4CD9-8C25-44BFAC2D8C96_zps

F09AFC00-FBDE-4E92-9ACA-1D06D963D5BE_zps

Couple of pics showing whats left to do.

The workbench mess is slowly moving around!..

E67BE611-2C7B-4F42-B462-9D01D7763E03_zps

Other side of the loft,im planning to have a backscene here of wild boar fell.

Must take some photos of it next time im up there.

4D4F97BB-3F22-443A-9CB3-2346886D15FF_zps

Cheers

Ben

• Like 6