Ais Gill summit layout

ben pez

Hello Ben

The layout is looking good and your backscene is perfect for the location. Hope I haven't missed this in a previous post -Is the backscene commercially available, or has it been produced from your own photos? They look very like the Kirby Stephen - Mallerstang - Ais Gill area.

Regards

Alan

Hi alan

Thanks for the kind comments

The backscene is an id backscene called "old mill town"

Ive chopped off part of the photograph that has the mill & and few houses as obviously it doesnt fit into the location.

Theres probably a bit too many trees on the backscene to be exactly like the area around ais gill,but it is sort of similar!

Ive no idea where the original place of the photo is?

The other part of the layout where the stone road bridge is,im planning on having a backscene made up from photos ive taken of wild boar fell,as its such a unique background.

Cheers

Ben

Thanks Ben - 

The mill would have been the best clue to the actual location. I'm sure it's North Yorkshire if not S&C country. I thought I even recognised the large farm building behind the A3 in post 151! No problem with the trees. There are plenty near the line, apart from around the Garsdale area and Ribblehead. The weather means they just don't get to grow very tall and don't keep their foliage for long. 

Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 2

Spent a couple of hours up in the loft today

Cutting out the embankment around hangmans bridge out of insulation board,then covered in mod rock & a skim of filler.

A messy job I absolutely loathe!

Cheers

Ben

280CEA5A-A505-495D-9987-C08D0A277034_zps

• Like 4

Small bit of progress today

The base colour on the embankment.

Hard to see in the photos but ive made a small indent towards the ends of the rear embankment so the stone walling will run along the side of the embankment rather than just along the top of it.

F39FA42E-CAF4-4AD0-BBFB-EABC40431A23_zps

Cheers

Ben

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Very nice work, Ben. I'm resigned to my backscene - on the Fell/viaduct side - being grim, S&C sky!

Funny how you loathe mod-roc. Maybe I should have brought you up to Willington to assist with landscaping - after applying 80 rolls of the stuff you'd love it!

Keep up the good work.

Jeff

Ha ha cheers jeff!

I really hate the stuff as necessary as it is!

I wear latex gloves when applying it but still seem to touch everything I shouldn't and get that white horrible plaster water all over me!

Suppose i shouldn't complain as its not on the same scale as your layout,maybe its because the bits of modroc i cut from the roll are a lot smaller is why i hate the job?!

Cheers

Ben

Was up at the real location today to see the scotsman,after seeing it at scout green on the wcml.

As usual,typical settle & carlisle weather!

Cold,windy,dull & wet!

Soaked to the bone as scotsman was 30 minutes late as it got to ais gill.

18CB7E4C-6696-4239-A340-F0FF96FADDA8_zps

Cheers

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed in the last photo,the light switch!

Cant do nothing about that apart from cut the backscene around it when the time comes!

You could remove the metal cover (assuming there's a plastic one underneath) and paint the switch to match the backscene...

• Like 1

Hi Ben,

Just caught up with your lovely layout. Super photos of a very isolated but beautifully scenic location. Super modelling of the slanted bridge (am I right in thinking that this is called 'Hangman's Bridge'?)

Keep the super photos flowing!

Cheers,

Chris :)

Thanks Ben -

The mill would have been the best clue to the actual location. I'm sure it's North Yorkshire if not S&C country. I thought I even recognised the large farm building behind the A3 in post 151! No problem with the trees. There are plenty near the line, apart from around the Garsdale area and Ribblehead. The weather means they just don't get to grow very tall and don't keep their foliage for long.

Alan

Hi alan

I spoke to john the owner of art printers who makes the backscenes.

It's actually marsden in west yorkshire where the photograph is taken,so not that far away from the S&C really.

Cheers

Ben

Apart from the backscene,which ive got to go back over to the real location and take some better quality photos,rather than just use my phone!..another 6 foot of the layout is pretty much complete.

8E94B27C-97AE-4A1D-BC11-4E97976D428A_zps

A7284DE5-4D15-420F-AB20-6BEE59E14E6D_zps

271824D2-055B-443D-A02E-8C71AB58E461_zps

C9DD91F7-D651-4D17-AEE6-FF911A5F724E_zps

Should hopefully look a bit better when i get the backscene sorted of the real location

Cheers

Ben

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...