Sheepcroft EM - 3 link waffling

lapford34102

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

How do you manage 3 links?  Is there a special tool?

I can't manage them in 7mm...

Yes.

I get someone else to do it!

21 hours ago, lapford34102 said:

Hooks Law

Though, now that I know about Hooks Law, maybe I’m not so bad.  I fear I need the more generalised version:

A=N+K(p)

where K(p) (personalised) is a failure factor individual to the operator.

My K(p) is somewhat higher than 1.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

22 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

How do you manage 3 links?  Is there a special tool?

Waiting for the AA to sort things out so a hurried of mine, a bit of bent wire on a cheap LED torch

Uncoupler.JPG.165784fd776a875e0d293175d14132b8.JPG

Believe someone sells predone one's, sure Tim's got one.

Stu

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Well put Stu, comments usually made by wobbly fingered, myopic OO modellers!!

Me and thee against the world!

Mike.

It is a well documented fact that I, the founder of LADS, have been known to have been operating EM gauge model railways and successfully coupling and uncoupling rolling stock fitted with 3 link anchor chains and (well weathered) rigid screw couplings. So my amigo less of the  "wobbly fingered, myopic OO modellers."

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

It is a well documented fact that I, the founder of LADS, have been known to have been operating EM gauge model railways and successfully coupling and uncoupling rolling stock fitted with 3 link anchor chains and (well weathered) rigid screw couplings. So my amigo less of the  "wobbly fingered, myopic OO modellers."

That's all well and good but it took you a full exhibition to shunt a 3 wagon pick up goods!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That's all well and good but it took you a full exhibition to shunt a 3 wagon pick up goods!

“And you’ll keep on doing it until you get it Right!”

Paul.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

I am more proficient than that our friend Mr Tailby keep inviting me to join him at shows to operate his layouts.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well put Stu, comments usually made by wobbly fingered, myopic OO modellers!!

Me and thee against the world!

Mike.

Count me in that happy band too! All couplings have their plus and minus points, its simple a question of personal perference (apart from the apocryphal 2mm finescale bod who tried 3 links, who basically is just certifiable!)...

Believe someone sells predone one's, sure Tim's got one.

They certainly do Stu, I've got a couple. The mark I and the mark II versions. And if you're worrying about having too much wagonry with you at Ally Pally worry no longer....we can find a home for it!!

Disgusting of Marketr Harborough

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am more proficient than that our friend Mr Tailby keep inviting me to join him at shows to operate his layouts.

Yes, at least you spend some time behind DT's layouts, which is more than can be said for some!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

No problem with 3-link couplings, I regularly operated 3-link fitted exhibition shunting layouts in my younger days.

Where they can become a problem is with corridor coaches with masses of pipework.  If they stay in fixed rakes, it can be better to have some other method between them, and a 3-link on each end.

All my NG stock has a small tension-lock that requires manual uncoupling.  I've never had a problem with it, but I did see a video of my layout a while ago, where my "big hand from the sky" had been edited out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Well Mike, you only have to ask!............I'm sure we could fit you in.

Disgusting of Harket Marborough

You seem to forget, I've done some shifts in the past, it was like auditioning for a part in The Invisible Man!

Mike.

• Funny 1