Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Interesting find on Ebay

hayfield

I am interested in the modelling part of the hobby and always like to find items I am not familiar with

post-1131-0-84060200-1418411699.jpeg

I do know of ABS Models and have built the odd whitemetal wagon and am aware that they offer more than wagons. Now I seem to remember they offered coach kits (and may have one as its make is unknown), so this at the price I paid (£7.77 inc postage) was of interest if for nothing other than plain curiosity as I knew nothing about it.

As can be seen, there are a pair of printed sides on a clear plastic, a clear plastic roof and sides shell, metal chassis and a sheet of black plastic. The coach is a BR non corridor third in blue

post-1131-0-48909600-1418411719.jpeg

Instruction sheet and a pair of plastic bogies

post-1131-0-89121400-1418411743.jpeg

Whitemetal underframe details

post-1131-0-52322900-1418411766.jpeg

Whitemetal ends and ventilators and the clear plastic roof/sides

Now need to read the instructions

I  have been thinking about building this coach, but I have a few concerns. Namely the roof and floor/underframe

The roof fits nicely on the ends, but there is no cantrail etc. Would the sides fit the whitemetal ends? Also if I use the thick clear plastic sides and roof unit how would it affect the glazing on the printed sides and how should I fix them in place (not read the instructions yet !!)

Secondly the lack of a floor/underframe, as the metal one is far too short. The whitemetal parts look really good and I want to use them. So thoughts are turning to using styrene sheet, which would make fitting the seats and compartments much easier.

I could then build the body on to the underframe, but how should I support the thin sides and stick them to the body.

What have others done when building these please. And thoughts of others are most welcome

John

Model Railways Nov/Dec 1978 has a two part article which covers the construction of several coach kits available at the time, of which this one was newly available, under the title 'The Coaching Trade', and it's author explains the techniques and remedies used in their assembly

Thank you both for replying, sadly I do not have Model Railways mags. I never had much luck with Evostick with PC coach kits. The more I think about it a scratch built floor seems best, perhaps with a forma running along the bottom to stick the sides to at the bottom. and again at the top

• RMweb Premium

John

Model Railways Nov/Dec 1978 has a two part article which covers the construction of several coach kits available at the time, of which this one was newly available, under the title 'The Coaching Trade', and it's author explains the techniques and remedies used in their assembly

Ah, Harry Drummond's coach kit survey. A follow up to his wagon survey of the previous year.

I wonder how many issues would be required today?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived