West Highland Freight and Engineers Trains in the 1980s-1990s

iarnrod

Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of what wagon types you could find operating on the WHL in the 1980's and 90's on freight and engineers trains? I am bases in Ireland and undecided on whether to model Cornish China Clay or the WHL, but deciding factor will be what freight operated on the WHL, and the availability of these wagon types as RTR. Any information appreciated. Thanks.

Broadly speaking the WHL freight side consisted of following:

Timber traffic in otas and I think occasional btas. Ota available rtr from bach and Hornby, bta as kit from cambrian

Oil traffic to Oban mostly I think... TTAs as available from Bachmann

China clay in pras which would have to be scratch built.

Some vaa/vdas did find their way up WHL but not entirely sure what carrying. Bach do both.

Alumina to fw smelter in PCAs types latterly but not sure if was case in 1980s. Think Hornby vee type PCAs and a PCAs similar to bachs metalair (diff under frame) were both used.

Paper traffic from fw. Think this was in sheeted OBAs. Bach do model

MoD supplies to glen Douglas which I think would have been in veas and poss Vdas. Former is parkside kit. Latter Bach. Not sure if any odas turned up on this traffic too (modified parkside pipe wagon with vea under frame).

Aluminium outbound traffic from fw smelter in a few different wagon types including one recently released by cambrian whose code defeats me at this time...(bpa?) But also on kfas and possibly other types.

Engineering wise... Think I've seen photos of dogfish and catfish types, salmon wagons, and grampus types. But would be surprised if sea lions and sea cows didn't make it up WHL too and prob mermaids too. In later times would expect clams and rudds too.

WHL actually has great variation in freight for the rural railway it is (was) with nice mixed rakes rather than many block workings. I'm actually modelling the junction at Cowlairs so need to research my WHL freights better but have most of the above in my fleet.

Someone on here will keep me right if any of above is incorrect. I may have missed some too!

M

Not forgetting the short-term use of Interfrigo vans, which were hired in by BR for a fish contract from Mallaig (my memory says it was to Aberdeen, but I could be wrong). This was in about 1987 and got a mention in the railway enthusiast press at the time - I happened to see one of the trains when I was on holiday at Glenfinnan in the spring of that year.

Bill

I recall being in Oban for a few days, I think in November 1982. I walked along Shore Street to see what was going on at the station and in the line nearest the road (ie the side of the station now disappeared) there was a four wheel wagon of unusual appearance. Unfortunately I had no camera, but I recall it was marked suggesting it had come from Ostend, presumably via train ferry. Unfortunately I have no idea what it was carrying to Oban.

I recall being in Oban for a few days, I think in November 1982. I walked along Shore Street to see what was going on at the station and in the line nearest the road (ie the side of the station now disappeared) there was a four wheel wagon of unusual appearance. Unfortunately I had no camera, but I recall it was marked suggesting it had come from Ostend, presumably via train ferry. Unfortunately I have no idea what it was carrying to Oban.

What colour was it? If it was white, it would have been an Interfrigo wagon, probably returning to mainland Europe with Scottish sea-food of some sort. If it was brown, then it may have brought food for the fish farms in the region.

• 3 weeks later...

My Flickr Scottish collection features some 800 views of the West Highland & Callender & Oban lines in 6 albums. The link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/collections/72157626439675261/

should take you to the collection and then click on the relevant set. Most of the views were taken in the 1980's although there are earlier images  from the 1930's to the 1970's. I have more images which will be uploaded as time permits.

Ernie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived