More First Great Western sleeper engine problems

The ETS was being used from the 57, about all its any good for is being a generator car

I wonder if a refurbished Night Riviera set up would work with TDM/AAR Fitted locos and refurbished Chiltern-ised DVTs with in built Generators could work in the future? As it could remove the need slightly for the 3 BFOs and increasing the luggage capability, allowing easier en route reversing and the generator could supply ETH if a loco cannot provide (I think the Volvo Penta generators in the Chiltern DVTs provide ETS while the loco is switched off in Stourbridge)?

Not much if it was 'dead' (according to Mr Marsden; does he still go round wearing all those badges I wonder?) - different sources seem to be telling different stories on this (but I think I know which ones I'm more inclined to believe, thanks).

I don't know for certain, but it came from random people from the internet that I trust more than most. Also confirmed by Ogauge83A above.

There are a couple of the fGW sleeper drivers on the WNXX forum, but neither was on sleeper shift this week, I think they are very grateful of the fact!

• RMweb Premium

Hire in a generator car from one of the charter firms?

Although that would depend on one being available, it would at least allow increased choice of traction.

It would also add weight to the train, but presumably the sleepers aren't timed at full 'express' speed, for comfort reasons?

Hire in a generator car from one of the charter firms?

Although that would depend on one being available, it would at least allow increased choice of traction.

It would also add weight to the train, but presumably the sleepers aren't timed at full 'express' speed, for comfort reasons?

Now one or two of the Ex EPS power coaches ( Nightstar stock) would be useful

• RMweb Premium

Were they not supplying something like 2500v due to the high 'hotel' power requirement of the 'nightstar' stock?

Hence the generator vehicles, for the proposed diesel hauled services north of london (class 92s being used to Europe)

ISTR a reason being given for the failure of direct services to/through Belgium being they didn't have any locos capable of supplying the ETH (Don't know if this was actually true)

Now one or two of the Ex EPS power coaches ( Nightstar stock) would be useful

Apart from needing to be somewhat reconstructed to provide BR eth voltage (ENS stock being to UIC standards for train supply)

What about saving one or two of the Irish Mk3 Gen Vans instead? Correct voltage, fits in our gauge, all it would require is UK Spec BT10 bogies? But in practical sense, using a Mk3 Gen Van would take up an entire coach length though.

Not much if it was 'dead' (according to Mr Marsden; does he still go round wearing all those badges I wonder?) - different sources seem to be telling different stories on this (but I think I know which ones I'm more inclined to believe, thanks).

It was providing ETS to the coaches, if it wasnt then the fire alarms wouldnt be working once the batteries went flat so no passengers allowed.

With an awful lot of work - and it would probably cost too much so very unlikely.  Far more likely I would expect to see a change in the type of loco used depending on what's available in the hire market.

And also what is written into their safety case- they may not even be able to use 47s anymore...

Details on that working here, scrol down to post 8.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16907-mk3-sleeper-trains-bluegrey-livery/

Jim

Thank-you for that steer to that interesting thread. The reason I thought this was a positioning move was because the observation was made mid-afternoon. Not of any real consequence of course.

I suppose all the wiring's different etc etc, but for a longer-term option couldn't they marshall the sleepers between a pair of HST power cars on a semi-permanent basis?

In a word NO.

Power Cars have a 415volt, 3 phase supply for the train. 57's are DC 1000 volt.

• RMweb Gold

What about saving one or two of the Irish Mk3 Gen Vans instead? Correct voltage, fits in our gauge, all it would require is UK Spec BT10 bogies? But in practical sense, using a Mk3 Gen Van would take up an entire coach length though.

You probably used one of them on your face shaving this morning. Few being kept in service for Enterprise and for charter rake, rest have been sliced.

• RMweb Gold

Were they not supplying something like 2500v due to the high 'hotel' power requirement of the 'nightstar' stock?

Hence the generator vehicles, for the proposed diesel hauled services north of london (class 92s being used to Europe)

ISTR a reason being given for the failure of direct services to/through Belgium being they didn't have any locos capable of supplying the ETH (Don't know if this was actually true)

All a lot more complicate than that.  The ENS stock was built to use UIC voltage but could run on BR voltage ETH as well with power drawn off 25kv ohle, it could also run in theory off 3rd rail supply on former SR lines but it would in reality have been a right dog's breakfast because of both the high electrical load and the gapping of conductor rails coupled with the way the load shedding and supply detection circuitry was arranged.  Simple problem was that for dc electrified systems the load, in terms of current required, was very high.

Class 92 should have therefore had no problem supplying the train on BR 25kv or in the Tunnel or on SNCF 25kv but there could have been some distinct problems on the 3rd rail.  SNCF, it turned out, effectively had no loco other than the Sybics which could handle the hotel load on the train,  SNCB had one class which would have had no problem but all would have been withdrawn by the time in ENS was in service but a couple of other classes were deemed suitable (SNCB withdrew from the project for commercial reasons) and in any event the Amsterdam train would have gone through Belgium with an SNCB loco, NS had no problems  provided the train would not be stationary for more than c.30 minutes drawing full hotel power as any longer was probably likely to damage the overhead conductor, DB had no problems meeting the power requirements.

57303 dragging the dogs breakfast that is 310, Pride of xxxx, at Penzance last night before 303 failed at Taunton

http://antony-christie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/double-drs-on-1a40-at-penzance-18th.html

It's supposed to be 'Pride of Cumbria' But since the nameplate's transfer from now WCRC 47802 it seems to be loosing it's 'Pride Of' element! Former 'Pride of Carlisle' - ex 47712 Seems to be fairing a little better.

Apparently the parts to fix 57303 were on the HST that was involved in a fatality at Totnes this morning so were a bit delayed.

The down service is planned to be 57310 and 57603 top and tail hauled by two HST power cars. The PCs are just a positioning move.but might be good insurance!

Edit:corrected fatality location

Archived