Muddy's dithering "journey" into O Gauge - help please GWR vs Southern decision

muddys-blues

• 4 weeks later...

All very quiet on here, Craig must be upstairs laying Track to surprise us, :O

No he's probably agonising over the track plan again. At this rate he will be modelling a closed line. Just some old rusty track and weeds. No need to build Loco's. A burnt out brake van and some broken crossing gates. Shouldn't be too taxing for him!

Video won't be very interesting though!

Paul R

He was here last night, and I'm sure we'll see some progression with trackwork from our conversation. Actually, him calling round gave me my first opportunity to visit the garage since before Christmas!!! :O

He's the same as me in having the seasonal family duties that eat into modelling time!!!!  :jester:

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

No he's probably agonising over the track plan again. At this rate he will be modelling a closed line. Just some old rusty track and weeds. No need to build Loco's. A burnt out brake van and some broken crossing gates. Shouldn't be too taxing for him!

Video won't be very interesting though!

Paul R

Evening Paul, I more or less have my track plan sorted now, I had a nice hour or so last night with Jintyman and I am ready to do battle with Templot :scratchhead: next week once the New Year Festivities are out of the way, having hung around at Jintyman's house a few times this year I have decided that the hand built trackwork really does look the dogs danglies so I am giving that a go first, if it is successful there will be a few boxes of brand new Peco Bullhead track for sale  :declare:

He was here last night, and I'm sure we'll see some progression with trackwork from our conversation. Actually, him calling round gave me my first opportunity to visit the garage since before Christmas!!! :O

He's the same as me in having the seasonal family duties that eat into modelling time!!!!  :jester:

Jinty ;)

Thanks for your time this year Jinty ...... hopefully you will get down our way and use some of my teabags for a change 

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i pawb / Happy New Year to all

Craig.

• Like 3

Hi Paul,

Sleeper spacing on Peco track is 16.2mm centres.

GW plain track should be 2'6.5" reducing at the fishplates (this was for the late 1920's, may be different for other regions & eras) which would be 17.5mm. I think the change in spacing is subtle but shows.

Useful references on Templot forum: http://templot.com/martweb/pdf_files/gwr_track_panels.pdf

This is easy to fix when laying Peco track, and you get a few sleepers over on each length! Now, if they would just do 2-bolt chairs...

Like you, I would definitely use hand-made point & crossing works, (31.5 gauge in my case) but away from the close-up photographic areas, I would be pretty happy with Peco. I noted that the copperclad points on my old model didn't stand out, from 3 feet away you couldn't even see that the only representation of chairs was the blob of solder, painted, of course.

HNY!

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello fellow modellers ... I am on the look out for some heavy duty "two way drawer" runners to use on my traverser tables, does anybody have any information on where they got theirs or something they utilised for a nice smooth running traverser table ?

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Craig,

Just catching up on your thread - have you acquired these yet?  A mate of mine is a trade salesman (i.e. to builders and DIY shops etc) for anything ... I swear he offloaded a couple of trucks of snow to some Eskimos recently!  However, he has some heavy duty runners with versions that can be mounted vertical or horizontal (yes it makes a difference) - be happy to see if I can get you some details if your still on the look out.

Rich

• Like 1

Hhahahhah

My Missis  just asked me what  Blwyddyn Newydd Dda meant as  I'm supposed to know some Welsh. So I told her Happy New Year, she was gobsmacked,

then  I confessed, hahah. :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

• Like 2

Hi Craig,

Just catching up on your thread - have you acquired these yet?  A mate of mine is a trade salesman (i.e. to builders and DIY shops etc) for anything ... I swear he offloaded a couple of trucks of snow to some Eskimos recently!  However, he has some heavy duty runners with versions that can be mounted vertical or horizontal (yes it makes a difference) - be happy to see if I can get you some details if your still on the look out.

Rich

Hi Rich, thanks for your heads up, I think am going to use roller bearings on bolts, this will be a nice simple system, also I can get roller bearings very easily as I run my own garage.

Best regards

Craig

• Like 1

Hhahahhah

My Missis  just asked me what  Blwyddyn Newydd Dda meant as  I'm supposed to know some Welsh. So I told her Happy New Year, she was gobsmacked,

then  I confessed, hahah. :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Helluva guess Andy!!!!!!   :jester:

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, well things are starting to progress behind the scenes on the layout build, I have chosen to go down the handbuilt track route after seeing plenty of excellent hand built track on other layout builds on here and other forums, and Mr Jinty's Talyllyn really does have me admiring and drooling over his trackwork everytime I go for a cuppa, so my on last visit the other week David thrust into my hand some C&L rail and Intentio sleepers, I have a bundle of 2 bolt chairs and I will build my first track panel this week.

I now have a roster of locos and stock I will be keeping and purchasing soon, *** The 37 has now gone to a loving new home  :cry:***

Best regards

Craig.

post-8721-0-50836300-1487597689_thumb.jpeg

post-8721-0-40146900-1487597699_thumb.jpeg

post-8721-0-53857700-1487597706_thumb.jpeg

post-8721-0-01021300-1487597715_thumb.jpeg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 8