Muddy's dithering "journey" into O Gauge - help please GWR vs Southern decision

muddys-blues

Hello just a quick introduction, my name is Craig, I am a new convert to the 7mm gauge from 4mm gauge, here are a couple of items I have recently purchased, I have a problem, I didn't realise the boxes would be slightly bigger than the OO gauge stuff, do you think my Wife will notice ? If she does, what is the minimum radii I can use in a Sh*tty one bedroom hovel on the wrong side of town ?  :O

Happy Modelling 

Craig

post-8721-0-10683400-1418844006.jpg

post-8721-0-62451200-1418844047.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Hello just a quick introduction, my name is Craig, I am a new convert from the 7mm gauge from 4mm gauge, here are a couple of items I have recently purchased, I have a problem, I didn't realise the boxes would be slightly bigger than the OO gauge stuff, do you think my Wife will notice ? If she does, what is the minimum radii I can use in a Sh*tty one bedroom hovel on the wrong side of town ?  :O

Happy Modelling 

Craig

Slightly bigger lol I hope your wife has no sense of size.... Welcome to 0-gauge Craig I'm sure you won't look back..

Mark J

Slightly bigger lol I hope your wife has no sense of size.... Welcome to 0-gauge Craig I'm sure you won't look back..

Mark J

Hi Mark, I don't think she does, this is my Wife demonstrating what she thinks is 9" after I "told" her what 9" is .... :mosking:

post-8721-0-27098300-1418853585.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1

Hi Craig

Welcome to 7mm modelling - What are you going to model Layout wise.

Cheers, Bob.

Hi Bob, thanks for the welcome, I am currently in the process of selling off my lates 80's to early 91 stock in 4mm, so with the 7mm items I have purchased and items in the pipeline to pick up Rod "West Kirby Town" sound fitted 31 in blue, I guess I am aiming for mids - late 80's Blue - Blue /Grey, but possibly throwing in some early sectorisation .... but as the O gauge stock makes you think financially in what you are spending you do prioritise your purchases, I won't be buying items just on a whim, I have a set plan of stock I am looking to purchase, I will be making up say 1 x parcels rake, possibly 2 passenger rakes which would be a short scruffy mk1 set, and a mixed rake livery of mk2's, I really do like DMU's, bog carts are one of my favourite modelling stock.

The 3 Easy Build boxes I have pictured above are made up of 1 x Class 129 Parcels unit "the green box", I got this for a great price of Rails on ebay, it is brand new, and I will be making this into to the Hydra RTC red & blue unit, the 2 x Blue boxes are a brand new Class 105 twin DMBS set,which I am going to make into a mid 80's parcel set, which are the rail blue with Red & Yellow Red Star stripes and star branding, see the link below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60539035@N02/12967674644

With my layout I don't plan to be hard and fast with myself, I like plenty of the DMU classes, so I intend to be a bit more liberal with myself, and just enjoy watch these bigger models run round a decent sized shed layout which will also venture out in to the garden.

I think 7mm will be my calling, so watch this space !!! hopefully.

Happy modelling

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 8

Hi Craig,

I see you have a '37' - I've just got mine out of its box after four years (bought new, and sat there ever since) to find that in the intervening period all four of its main drive gears have split in the bogies...... This was supposed to be a 'rare problem' but is obviously fairly generic. Fortunately some time ago I had bought spares just in case, so I was able to fit them and sort it without much fuss.

May I suggest it might be prudent to buy some from Howes (£2.50 each) to stock against such a rainy day?

Good luck, and moving up is a decision that you're not likely to regret.....

Hi Craig,

I see you have a '37' - I've just got mine out of its box after four years (bought new, and sat there ever since) to find that in the intervening period all four of its main drive gears have split in the bogies...... This was supposed to be a 'rare problem' but is obviously fairly generic. Fortunately some time ago I had bought spares just in case, so I was able to fit them and sort it without much fuss.

May I suggest it might be prudent to buy some from Howes (£2.50 each) to stock against such a rainy day?

Hi Giles many thanks for the heads up, I will need one or two things from Howes in the new year so I can kill a couple of birds whilst I am at it.

Happy modelling

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

Hi Craig - Sounds like you have a good plan - I model 1980's BR Blue, and as I am currently building a Diesel Depot, I don't Intend having that much coaching or goods stock (If I can resist that is), but would like a DMU and Thumper in the future, I also have a Class 50 and 73 on that list !!.

Looking forward to your progress.

Cheers, Bob.

• Like 3

Hi Craig,

I think that you will really enjoy your 7mm adventure.

Looking forward to following your progress.

Kind regards,

CME

Hi Craig,

Hi Giles,

Sage advice.

I left a post on your Thread re this matter.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81257-mercian-0-4-0-0-4-0-garratt-Heljan-37/page-3

Kindest,

CME

Hello fellow "O" modellers, could somebody be kind enough to confirm the sleeper width of Peco's FB track please ? I am just working out how many storage roads I can get on a 2' wide board.

Thanks in advance

Craig

Hi Craig

What matters is the spacing from one track centre to another.  Most O gauge modellers work to 80mm for parallel tracks but this is increased for sidings or loops adjacent to running lines.

For a fiddle yard you also have to take into account the 12" to the foot fingers - you are likely to find it difficult to handle stock if the track centres are 80mm - I suggest thinking of at least 90mm centres and 100mm if you can.

100mm centres would give you 6 tracks on a 2' wide baseboard

For 7 tracks you would need to decrease the track centres to approximately 86mm.

One thing to consider in the design of your fiddle yard is the length of approach pointwork if you are not using a sector plate or traverser.

Regards.

Thanks Bill, doh so obvious now !!!! Here is me working everyday in a engineering based industry using measurements etc and not realising the track centre to centre to give me the formula for my question, "shakes own head in the disbelief at ones own stupidity" time to go back in that darkened room and have a lie down again !!!!

I take on board what you are saying about the fiddle yard, I am at the infancy of the planning stage yet.

Happy modelling

Craig

Hi Craig,

welcome to the World of  7mm modelling. Might I suggest you consider joining the "O" Gauge guild. the Gazette is worth the membership fee alone as well as access to a wealth of technical information on the website,such as Track Spacings.

I have never looked back since changing from 4mm and I only have one working eye.

Regards,Derek.

• Like 1

Okay I have just joined the GOG on-line tonight, a quick question to other members, this may sound daft, but I was filling in the on-line application it came up with a line saying Membership March 2015 ??? I hope this doesn't mean I have to renew my subscription in March again ?? any clarification would be appreciated.

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Craig

If I remember correctly (I joined mid year many years ago), you will get all this years Guild magazines, but I think that you will have to renew in March .... But I may be wrong of course.

Cheers, Bob.