Muddy's dithering "journey" into O Gauge - help please GWR vs Southern decision

muddys-blues

Hi Craig, Glad to see your starting the Track Building, I must admit Jinty's Trackwork is to be admired, and I'm sure yours will come out the same mate.

That Tractor does look the bizz with some superb weathering, but miles to big for me now I'm afraid.

All the best and lets have some Track building pics soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I know that nothing has been put on here for ages, but at the moment I am waiting for an order of C+L track to arrive, I have put up my "smaller" layout baseboards, these where from a long ago abandoned portable 4mm project, they total just over 18' (5.8mtrs) with 2 x 4' (1.2mtr) FY's at each end, I will upload some pictures later this week, this layout will be a simple single line affair small through station, accompanied with "hopefully" a siding or 2 into a rail served creamery, loosely based on "Pont Llanio" in Camarthenshire.

Tomorrow I am visiting Family in the North West this will also tie in with picking up a nice purchase off an esteemed Member of this parish, more later in the week,

The purchase I have made means I have a spare Westdale GUV kit, it is still in un-started condition, anybody interested please PM for details, I also still have lots of new Peco bullhead track and few new curved points available if those are of interest as well.

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 5

Okay I know that nothing has been put on here for ages, but at the moment I am waiting for an order of C+L track to arrive, I have put up my "smaller" layout baseboards, these where from a long ago abandoned portable 4mm project, they total just over 18' (5.8mtrs) with 2 x 4' (1.2mtr) FY's at each end, I will upload some pictures later this week, this layout will be a simple single line affair small through station, accompanied with "hopefully" a siding or 2 into a rail served creamery, loosely based on "Pont Llanio" in Camarthenshire.

Tomorrow I am visiting Family in the North West this will also tie in with picking up a nice purchase off an esteemed Member of this parish, more later in the week,

The purchase I have made means I have a spare Westdale GUV kit, it is still in un-started condition, anybody interested please PM for details, I also still have lots of new Peco bullhead track and few new curved points available if those are of interest as well.

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Craig, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the way of a Track Plan, it all sounds rather good, and so does the Mystery Object. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Craig,

Nice to see your moving forward with things. In one way, I'm finding my little 6'x18" layout a bit restrictive, but in so many other ways, it seems far better, more achievable and easier to detail somehow!  Still hankering after getting on with the big layout, but I'm thoroughly enjoying little Arksey at the moment!  Having said that, your smaller boards are three times the length of mine, so keen to see what your going to do with it!

Rich

• Like 2

Ok People, this is the last loco that I am umming and arring about disposing of, please PM me with any interest, it is beautifully weathered and is fitted with wonderful sound ..... best regards Craig.

PS just opening my long box from C&L Finescale  :sungum:

post-8721-0-84991400-1421350361.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 5

Anybody after a Westdale MK1 GUV kit ? it's unstarted, I have a surplus one due to my recent purchase from West Kirby Town ....  :locomotive:

Please PM with for details

Best regards

Craig.

*** Edited .... the GUV has found a new home, many thanks Mr Siddall  :imsohappy:

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 3

Hello I have found one last item that is surplus to my stock, I have 2 x of these so this one needs a new home.

Skytrex MK1 BG NCV nicely weathered running on Easybuild bogies, please pm for any interest.

Best regards
Craig.

The BG has found a new home in West Wales, many thanks to Mr Dalling.

post-8721-0-10935200-1489674801_thumb.jpg

post-8721-0-32400500-1489674821_thumb.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 2

Hello, ok I have decided to sell the 2nd of my Skytrex BG, which is as similar to the previous one that has gone to a new home, same picture used as above, please PM if interested, I have decided what Parcels stock I am keeping, and this is now surplus to that stock.

Best regards

Craig.

post-8721-0-10935200-1489674801_thumb.jppost-8721-0-32400500-1489674821_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello fellow  People, I say People instead of modellers as most of you are modelling where as I am dilly dallying around still !! Anyway behind the scenes I am getting towards the big board erecting stage  :sungum: , but I am reaching out to the knowledge of my fellow 7mm modellers, my track plan is definitely an almost copy of "Torrington" but with a couple of slight amendments to get it in to the space, now I have a decision to make whether to go Southern as per the prototype or model it as a GWR station, the reason I ask is are there a good supply of the Lattice type SR signals available, I have looked on the MSE website, there are a couple of SR kits, but not as many as what are available for GWR ........ so are their any knowledgeable souls out there that can support my Southern modelling sway of any SR signals available ?

Best regards

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues

Craig,

Scale signal supply, not terribly well supplied with website, but very well equipped with signally bits.

Speak to Pete & Linda, in Bolton 01942 817350

They certainly do anything you might want in GWR, and also I believe in other persuasions too!

Best

Simon

Hello fellow  People, I say People instead of modellers as most of you are modelling where as I am dilly dallying around still !! Anyway behind the scenes I am getting towards the big board erecting stage  :sungum: , but I am reaching out to the knowledge of my fellow 7mm modellers, my track plan is definitely an almost copy of "Torrington" but with a couple of slight amendments to get it in to the space, now I have a decision to make whether to go Southern as per the prototype or model it as a GWR station, the reason I ask is are there a good supply of the Lattice type SR signals available, I have looked on the MSE website, there are a couple of SR kits, but not as many as what are available for GWR ........ so are their any knowledgeable souls out there that can support my Southern modelling sway of any SR signals available ?

Best regards

Craig.

I think you've forgotton our resident signal Guru, Mr Fitness.....................

Scale Signal Supply as Simon says is also an option if you want to build your own.

Jinty ;)

I would say Southern to be different, GW for ease. Depends what you want.

If I were starting from scratch (at my age) it would be GW all day long, as I am a lazy so-and-so and it's just so much easier. The Southern, OTOH, has all sorts of fascinating aspects and is the way "less trodden". 

Just one more quick question on the Southern v GWR theme, I am looking at the Withered Arm line, but the photos aren't clear enough to see what type of chairs was used on the plain track, did they use 3 bolt or 2 bolt chairs as per the the GWR ?

Many thanks in advance

Craig

Craig

How about a joint line? Or go Southern with GWR running rights.

But as I said before Gret Eastern is where its at!

Paul R

Ilfracombe branch, Wadebridge, Yeovil Town; the last has always appealed to me.

• Like 2

Withered arm gets my vote, although I may be a little biased as I model the Ilfracombe branch. The decay & neglect of the ex-LSWR/SR  lines under BR(WR) control makes for a very interesting modeling for me.

I am building a LSWR signal at the moment from MSE components & I have found no shortage of components available . I will be scratch building some rail built posts & adding arms ladders etc from the usual suppliers too . 

• Like 2

Ok thanks for the replies Gents, so here is the final question of this conundrum, did the Southern lines ever use 2 bolts chairs "the reason I ask is I have a shed load of them"  or can I get away as suggested with a mix of Southern furniture, eg Signals, green boards etc, with 2 bolt track chairs on the metals ? or is 2 bolt solely GWR ? If that is the case I will stick with the Torrington plan but make it GWR themed layout  :fool:

Sorry to sound like an ignoramus on this matter "my excuse is I am a Northern LMR Monkey exiled to Wales .... please forgive me ?  :angel: " and my time is limited on researching this at the moment as I am busy with work .......... and I can't keep pestering Mr Jints as he has enough on his plate without me pecking his head every minute by email & text  :dontknow:

Best regards as always

Craig 

• Like 3

.......... and I can't keep pestering Mr Jints as he has enough on his plate without me pecking his head every minute by email & text  :dontknow:

There isn't anything left on my head now anyway...................................... :sarcastichand:

I'm pretty sure that 2-bolt chairs were strictly the domain of the GWR/BR(WR). 

I'm sure there wouldn't be any problem with basing your layout on the BR(WR) with some BR(S) running rights, it should make a thumping good layout. ;)

Jinty ;)

• Like 1