The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A so called Christmas bonus

Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

....if it was a straight £50 in cash, then so would most of us Mickey. However, when you're told that this gift is in recognition of your hard work during the year and you're then forced to spend an unnecessary amount of your precious time and effort trying to extract the so called gift from a shoppers website because the site owners want to try and persuade you to spend the credit in a particular way, bearing in mind that these are only points or vouchers which can only be spent in certain stores anyway, then you start to wonder whether this is a reward or an endurance test. A common response from those employees who understand the benefits to the company of this type of approach has been "if that is what the company thinks of me, then they can stuff it"....which actually seems to be an intended conclusion also.

One incensed employee who asked a director for an explanation, was told that it had been a difficult year....to which the employee said "in that case I assume that all Director's perks and bonuses will be paid in shopping points then??" The Director looked stunned and left the building without another word.

A further consideration is that I had to spend 40mins or so on the phone getting help to navigate the shopping site....I think that I'll check to see how much per minute I was paying for the call. If it turns out to be a premium rate number then I'll be handing the phone bill in for payment.

I recall being at school in the 1980s....one of our set texts was 'Animal Farm' by George Orwell and I can picture the English teacher now, very pointedly introducing the book and saying that its significance would become clearer as one progressed through life. Who would you be choosing for which character?

Dave

I once had a nice bonus from a Cambridgeshire company at christmas , on one member of staff asking if we had a bonus ,our manager made the statement , "yes you all get to keep your jobs for another year ." 

The spirit of christmas and goodwill ran deep in his veins.......

Cheers Paul.

Sorry, I did forget my £10 pensioners bonus and my Winter fuel allowance of £100.

Funny how these amounts must have seemed quite large when they were first paid; still it's something to put against the annual fuel bill - electricity £1500 and oil for the boiler £1400.

Mustn't grumble, I suppose, as another £3 a week State Pension increase will arrive in April to squander on food* and riotous living :jester:

Still if I go to the correct branch of the Co-op* - that's for those who are following my ramblings on this page :senile:

Are we still getting the £10 Xmas Pensioners Bonus then? 

I have not got my mine yet and neither has the Old Lady I am married too and live with  :nono: 

I thought that the nice couple of people Laurel & Hardy :O  had stopped it in their role as Prime Minister and Chancellor :jester:

Merry Christmas guys and gal's.

Derek. :senile:

• RMweb Gold

Are we still getting the £10 Xmas Pensioners Bonus then? 

I have not got my mine yet and neither has the Old Lady I am married too and live with  :nono:

I thought that the nice couple of people Laurel & Hardy :O  had stopped it in their role as Prime Minister and Chancellor :jester:

Merry Christmas guys and gal's.

Derek. :senile:

Apparently yes - if you're in receipt of the State Pension (or umpteen other benefits - some of which really are benefits as opposed to something we paid-in for).

In a place that employs about 300 people the fact that I'm not one of the 50 being made redundant IS a Christmas bonus

Likewise, I get a new job title with less holiday, as does the Missus but with a £9k pay cut too. We also get a £10 box of biscuits that friends and relatives now expect us to re-gift.

We also get (but I refuse) a Christmas Dinner at work two weeks before but are expected to be back at work on the night of the 26th, and a part-subsidised Christmas party in January...

Likewise, I get a new job title with less holiday, as does the Missus but with a £9k pay cut too. We also get a £10 box of biscuits that friends and relatives now expect us to re-gift.

We also get (but I refuse) a Christmas Dinner at work two weeks before but are expected to be back at work on the night of the 26th, and a part-subsidised Christmas party in January...

I did get a new job title as well as keeping my job...

£10 bonus is in the bank.

One year at work the screws were tightened and all gifts had to be handed in to be put in a raffle.

There was a suspicion that Purchasing were probably not going to abide by the new rule.

A 40 gallon paint drum arrived marked up for a special job.

It was taken to the back of the store and not opened until late in the evening.

Of course it contained presents.

The first present I removed was a large packet of tulip bulbs.

I took these to the Chief Engineer and made the comment that I knew his wife was a very keen gardener.

I informed him of the source of the bulbs.

I had of course discussed with the supplier the nature of certain items that were to be included.

After that the rest of the presents were distributed amongst the usual recipients.

The boss could hardly refuse the offer of the tulips and was then in no position to take any further action.

Bernard

Couple of years ago, I was working at a place near Darwen; I'm a contract draffy. A client sent in a case of wine. Everyone (including the draffies got one, but there were two left, which were raffled off. The fact that I was one of the lucky winners didn't go down too well!

Archived