Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

Lovely Neal and doing what I should be on my thread but mine haven't come.Its actually a D95.

They certainly are picked up both brakes this morning drooling over them at the moment. :senile:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

More photos from yesterday with Caerphilly Castle joining Star class 4-6-0 Knight of the Bath.

Henley6-2-16rr.jpg.ff938221fcbf0d4bb9a02d66eff73e8e.jpg

Caerphilly Castle seen at the head of Platform 2/3 with the new Hornby Collett Brake Third.

CaerphillyCastle2rr.jpg.3cbb3d227710d5be78ccf039b813011b.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
Sept 2023 - photos updated
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I thought the new Hornby Collett carriage makes an interesting comparison to an old Bachmann* Collett.... the latter clearly needs upgrading...

Carriages.jpg.5f0182bb0ae01824934d2508717f6368.jpg

I make no apologies for shewing so many photos of the new Brake Third. Quite simply, they are the carriages every GWR modeller has been waiting ages for!

Carriages2.jpg.8e1b83bba8777c58fed20ab6ce765e16.jpg

Henley6-2-16rr.jpg.12f67d4046d4e5034f44ce277db4e8a4.jpg

*2023 note: The Bachmann Collett carriages have been out of the catalogue for a number of years now - with seemingly no replacement models on the horizon.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Can you take one close up with both the new coaches coupled together please Neal.Assuming you have two of course.

Strangely when I nipped to Gaugemaster yesterday they only had the one... 2nd due soon and yes I will do that.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting the photos Neal......they can whet my appetite as I patiently wait for them to cross the Atlantic!

I particularly liked the comparison photo with the Bachmann Collets......the differences are rather marked and I guess will rather stand out if one creates a mixed rake, as I am/was planning to do. Will you leave your roof colour as is? I guess you can get away with it as you are modelling a decade earlier than I

Regards from Vancouver

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting the photos Neal......they can whet my appetite as I patiently wait for them to cross the Atlantic!

I particularly liked the comparison photo with the Bachmann Collets......the differences are rather marked and I guess will rather stand out if one creates a mixed rake, as I am/was planning to do. Will you leave your roof colour as is? I guess you can get away with it as you are modelling a decade earlier than I

Regards from Vancouver

John

Yes, I'm trying to pluck up the courage to do just that.Gulp.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Regards from Vancouver

John

Hopefully Bachmann will be spurred on to upgrade their Colletts - although I cant see what will be two sets of mainline stock being produced at the same time.

I am also thinking that maybe this initial rake will have light grey roofs... with the yet to be announced GWR Shirtbutton stock staying white.

But as Robin says, to start messing with the brand new stock will need to be done carefully.

I would like to open them up and populate with people and install LED lighting.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see that Hornby are going to do a Peckett tank in the Huntley and Palmers livery... Although very striking, I very much doubt it would have got to Reading General, never mind down the line to Henley..

2023 note: I couldn't find the original photos, instead I offer a photo of the loco - that clearly I decided would make it down the branch to Henley-on-Thames 😎

HornbyPecketR3429.jpg.df4b7a18b5a3e615580b512afa72bee7.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I thought the new Hornby Collett carriage makes an interesting comparison to an old Bachmann Collett.... the latter clearly needs upgrading...

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

First thing I noticed when I put my D95 next to one of my Bachmann Colletts was how washed out the cream appears on the Bachies. This photos shows just that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How about this for a contrast to the above comment - two Collett carriages... D95 Left & Right handed.

CollettCarriages19-2-16.jpg.a619b678ac4e058f45906c066aafbdae.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

There is another thread on here about whether anyone builds kits anymore... I quite enjoy building the Parkside Dundas wagon kits...

This week I have done 4.... I then got out all my kit-built wagons and have filled the yard just with (some of) my kit-built wagons.

This is the progress so far: 

kits19-2-16.jpg.18d8716f54192306ae095a7fdaec6d30.jpg

More details once they are done....

Not sure what the agenda is this weekend - possibly some platform work, or maybe ballasting, or maybe wiring in the back-siding as the point arrived today....

Updates soon,

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I think I have the same collection of Parkside kits! Some built, some in the 'to do' pile.

Enjoying seeing your layout develop, and somewhat envious of the space!

Thanks Jules.

These particular kits have been hanging around for a couple of years, so I thought it was about time I made a start on them!

• RMweb Premium

There is another thread on here about whether anyone builds kits anymore... I quite enjoy building the Parkside Dundas wagon kits...

This week I have done 4.... I then got out all my kit-built wagons and have filled the yard just with (some of) my kit-built wagons.

This is the progress so far: 

attachicon.gifkits 19-2-16.jpg

More details once they are done....

Not sure what the agenda is this weekend - possibly some platform work, or maybe ballasting, or maybe wiring in the back-siding as the point arrived today....

Updates soon,

I find Parkside Dundas kits are the best quality.

• RMweb Premium

Saturday progress:

I started the day at Parkrun in Bognor as usual, but this time as a marshal rather than a runner. Found it immensely rewarding and will do it next Saturday ahead of doing the Brighton Half Marathon next Sunday!

But back to Henley, I spent the afternoon laying the goods yard head shunt and coal road / back road. It is now fully wired up and later on saw my 64xx running around with a little shunting exercise to get all the coal wagons onto the right road.

Wagons-rr.jpg.4cc097ef1c3a9adaae21b6cd182ef97c.jpg

This shews my wagon stock that is (mainly) kit-built - l-r City Coal & Holtons both POW sides kits; Charles Dudson is an old Peco Wonderful wagon, (it needs new slim-line modern couplings); Pugh & co is an old Hornby wagon, with a Parkside chases; Parkside open, soon to have transfers added for Henley coal factor Holtons; followed by a Bachmann and then dipole wagon. 

Out of shot on the right of the road are a couple of Cooper Craft GWR open coal wagons, which I think are so much better than the Dapol equivalent... I wonder if we will ever see Cooper Craft wagons again.

In the background are various Ratio/ Parkside / Cooper-craft kits, plus the new Hornby Colletts in the platform.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Sunday:

All the Platform lights are now correctly wired up, with all the cables tidied away with cable ties now.

I ended the afternoon by running a few trains - shewn here the City with the Collett carriages. I also had out the Earl 4-4-0 loco, both looked very good with the new carriages.

CityCollettcarriagesrr.jpg.73b7398359eb8e06376132890e48ea77.jpg

I also had running a Hornby 61xx... only to find that the motion bracket fouled the platforms :-( It looks as if Platforms 1/2& 3 need to be shaved back by about 2mm which given I had just finished installing the lamps correctly is a nuisance.

Looks as if the 61xx were the widest locos of the time... 8ft 11 3/4 inches

Sept 2023 note: I had to shave more off the platforms when the Accurascale Manor arrived - does cardboard swell during a dry Spanish summer?

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 5

Interesting to see that Hornby are going to do a Peckett tank in the Huntley and Palmers livery... Although very striking, I very much doubt it would have got to Reading General, never mind down the line to Henley..

attachicon.gifR 832-peckett-HB-web.jpg

attachicon.gifR3429.jpg

The joys of modelling.  If it hasn't been done - do it and be damned.  We all have out favourite era, maybe eras so if we're not too fussy, we run them all together..

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I also had running a Hornby 61xx... only to find that the motion bracket could the platforms :-( It looks as if Platforms 1/2& 3 need to be shaved back by about 2mm which given I had just finished installing the lamps correctly is a nuisance.

Looks as if the 61xx were the widest locos of the time... 8ft 11 3/4 inches

I admire your self control......having had to do that a couple of times, I must confess I expressed myself rather more forcefully than:

"Thats a nuisance" ! I am afraid some of my platforms look like the wavy navy.

Just a thought......is the Hornby 61xx scale width? Its a very dated model, I doubt it has changed much from its Airfix/Dapol days. Maybe Oxford, encouraged by the reaction to their Dean Goods, will step into the breach in the near future.

Regards from Vanciuver

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/02/2016 at 03:18, john dew said:

I admire your self control......having had to do that a couple of times, I must confess I expressed myself rather more forcefully than:

"Thats a nuisance" ! I am afraid some of my platforms look like the wavy navy.

Just a thought......is the Hornby 61xx scale width? Its a very dated model, I doubt it has changed much from its Airfix/Dapol days. Maybe Oxford, encouraged by the reaction to their Dean Goods, will step into the breach in the near future.

Regards from Vanciuver

John

Thanks John, I too had the same thought about the Hornby 61xx, hence why I routed out my loco diagram books. I haven't checked the overall width of the model to check its correct, but intend to. If they (I have two) are overscale, they are likely to go to Hattons for a PX.

Thanks for your comments.

Edited by Neal Ball
Typo

Coming from Henley I have been following your new layout with interest I have found a nice photo on flicer showing the water tower etc, also look out for the film showing some nice footage of  the train station in the 1950s film The Key starring Sophia Loren , cheers   

st.html

Edited by theoddfellow

• RMweb Premium

Coming from Henley I have been following your new layout with interest I have found a nice photo on flicer showing the water tower etc, also look out for the film showing some nice footage of  the train station in the 1950s film The Key starring Sophia Loren , cheers   

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/21061474771/in/photolist-y68yFn-D5pdyY-eUyX6z-a5wLWH-dqCdGf/lightbox/

Lovely photo thanks for that. John has quite a few interesting steam photos around the former GWR.

Whilst searching Flickr, I found this which I hadn't seen before: https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/9464863208/in/photolist-fqnU5G-jkTXAc-9T2hA3-C9viP2-4idC8u-e3egRY-fFvxF2-pMz884-pGrzrq-fyoHfU-DTKQ6c-pgjThM-qSpNY5-4yP7pm-d9LQ5-enZBNE-aw3pit-hfHii-dcs6Ve-nMRTZ5-9cgXMD-jCjCA2-hEcxyQ-rgHVFq-qdJDcQ-pCA7uJ-7eQg3Z-4XKNC1-AjmP9S-dXfLsm-DyraLC-pC5Aew-dcs91Z-A6RF4S-5W5YNL-87XEDV-cofKPW-pAm7tu-DhHmZm-5M4Qyy-ovyYNn-8GBtJt-B6cnvT-3K1t7V-btcjm3-Cq72Z-52r6iD-bG793g-jhK8XJ-agJWRb 

DMU leaving the station, still with two platform faces, but everything else has gone - nice shot of the signal box.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Caerphilly castle seen romping up the incline with its train of 7 carriages - Got up with no effort, although didn't like the idea of starting after its photoshoot!

CaerphillyCastle1rr.jpg.db29d35acd48325e465c57883f1fd163.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Caerphilly Castle at the London end of Platform 2 with Treganna castle at the station end of my new four Collett carriage train.... 2 x brake and 2 x composite, left and right handed for both

post-6981-0-77057000-1456604115_thumb.jpg

In getting out the 57xx seen in the bay, I wonder if this Tuesday 1st March, will see Bachmann announce a new GWR Toad brake van... and that they will be available in six months :-) 

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 7