The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A fleeting moment of Star Wars related, joyous insanity.

froobyone

Let me set the table.

I was seven years old when Star Wars hit the cinema. Seven.

Scientists have long known that the perfect age to see a sci-fi space opera is seven. I can attest to that.

Star Wars changed my world. It changed my dreams, my playtime at school, my play time at home, who I wanted to be when I grew up and what I wanted to fly. The last two obviously being Han Solo and the Millenium Falcon.

From 77 to 80, Star Wars was all I knew, then, everything changed again, because the Empire Struck Back. Which to this day, for me, is the greatest film of all time. I still get a shiver down my spine when Vader tells Luke what happened to his father!

Then The Jedi Returned (ok, we had to stomach Ewoks in that one, but I'd still rather have Ewoks than Jar Jar (very rude word) Binks.

Then Star Wars was supposed to fade away, consigned to childhood memories as I grew from boy to man.

Only it didn't fade. It slept, it waited.

Suddenly, in my 20's, I had spare income and free time and as well as starting my fledgling model railway building, I discovered scale model kits of the Star Wars ships. So I made them all. From the AT-ST (Scout Walker) to the Star Destroyer.

and I bloody loved it.

Fast forward another 20 years.

New Star Wars films on the way.

New additions to the collection, some 8" Kotobukiya figurines, a nice new half a metre X-Wing and a few assorted bits.

And then I hit insanity.

I see that DeAgostini are making a 1:1 replica of the studio model of the Millenium Falcon. Empire Strikes Back variant.

It comes in at 800mm long, features lighting, movable stuff, resin casts, metal casts and even comes pre painted.

All sounds good so far right?

Well, it takes two years to build at a cost of over £900. You would have to be insane to do that right?

Well then there's a good chance that I'm insane, because I've only gone and subscribed to it and I've never been happier.

The reason I bring it up here, is because I not only plan to make a build thread on this very forum (In Wheeltappers, obviously) but I'm also going to 3D scan all the pieces at work and I'm going to create a virtual 3d model of it too.

Thought some people might find it interesting.

May the force be with you.

http://www.buildmillenniumfalcon.com/#issues

• RMweb Gold

800mm?

Nah this is insane, price wise ;)

http://fullscalefalcon.com

And just for fun

http://lego.gizmodo.com/this-incredible-full-scale-lego-x-wing-is-the-largest-m-509484787

At least the layout can pack away out of sight I think I might have more trouble concealing a Falcon :)

I'd also say the perfect age range is slightly wider, I was hooked even younger by the original release ;)

I was seven years old when Star Wars hit the cinema. Seven.

Scientists have long known that the perfect age to see a sci-fi space opera is seven. I can attest to that.

I think you'll find that the perfect age was eight but I must concur with everything else ;)

I still think Empire was the best film of the lot and had the biggest effect on me. You could argue it ruined the innocence of childhood but until I saw that film the goodies always won and that was just how the world worked. I left the cinema stunned; had I just witnessed the rebellion being beaten, Han a prisoner and my hero's father the baddie? I was already a fan and had all the action figures but now I was hooked and always will be despite the appearance of Jar Jar!

Gareth

• RMweb Gold

Yes never understood why he mucked around with the first three releases, people loved them for what they were not what they could have been.

Following JJ Abrams work on ST I'm trying not to raise the expectation too high in case some other genius try's to add another comedy character. But I do have a sneaking suspicion the new ones just might be what we wanted from Star Wars. Maybe we could get these guys or Joss Whedon & co to make special editions of 1,2 & 3 and digitally enhance them by adding some emotion and consistent acting ability to the two Anakin actors and remove Jar Jar altogether ;)

if you haven't seen this 'review' of The Phantom Menace, you may find it amusing and even interesting, although I must warn you that 1) the humour and language is often in very bad taste, and 2) the review is about as long as the film is....!

however, if you find that kind of stuff doesn't usually put you off, here's the link:

You could combine your two hobbies and subscribe to buy this.....

http://www.bradfordexchange.com/products/917623_star-wars-train-collection.html?searchTerm=Star+Wars+Express+Train+Collection&N=8125

It glows in the Dark is that a first for HO Scale model? why couldn't Bachmann apply that to the FNA Nuke flask carriers would be novel "weathering".

Steve

"I see that DeAgostini are making a 1:1 replica of the studio model of the Millenium Falcon. Empire Strikes Back variant."

When I first read that sentence I thought "bloody hell, you'd need a big living room for that!"

Me too, because they did build a full-size Falcon, or most of it, anyway. ;)

The Falcon kit sounds good, but my cold heart is set on a full-sized Imperial/Imperator class Star Destroyer (type 1 or 2, I'm not fussy), with a working hyperdrive, full set of armaments and standard complement of landing craft and ground vehicles (to include AT-ATs, naturally), plus a Sith certificate for a Darth name of one's own choosing. I'd even take a Victory class at a pinch. I've said this in another thread, with no offers forthcoming. I promise not to bombard your planet, if that helps (with the standard exclusion clause for rebel scum and Jedi).

The Falcon kit sounds good, but my cold heart is set on a full-sized Imperial/Imperator class Star Destroyer (type 1 or 2, I'm not fussy), with a working hyperdrive, full set of armaments and standard complement of landing craft and ground vehicles (to include AT-ATs, naturally), plus a Sith certificate for a Darth name of one's own choosing. I'd even take a Victory class at a pinch. I've said this in another thread, with no offers forthcoming. I promise not to bombard your planet, if that helps (with the standard exclusion clause for rebel scum and Jedi).

Must admit, I'd be happy just to have a real, working Light Saber :declare: ,,,, as long as no-one else had one, of course....  :triniti:  :angel:

I won't be partaking of the partwork, but I will admit to going to the cinema after work one day to be enthralled by episode 3, just as much as I had been as a kid with episode 4!

So long as people keep their expectations in check, I don't think JJ Abrams will disappoint with Episode 7. He certainly didn't with Star Trek.

Disney is going to let him spend whatever he needs. Hopefully they will be smart enough not to interfere. I don't think they will - too much is at stake for them.

I'm sure Disney won't interfere....

From the original "Star Tours" agreement with Lucas, Star Wars has been very important as a franchise to Disney. Since acquiring the whole franchise, it is already a big part of their theme park advertising. I expect them to treat the asset in much the same way that Warner Brothers treats Harry Potter - a huge money-spinner.

This is pretty funny:

Of course they get more mileage with their Pixar acquisition.

This commercial was in heavy rotation on TV:

Do the enterprise, please do a studio model of the enterprise!!!!, clearly the better of the two! Ducks for cover, and runs away at warp speed! Ha ha ha

Even better, make a crossover film. Imagine the Enterprise (whichever version) ordered to investigate yet another anomaly or tear in space/time. Klingons, Romulans or Borg are expected to be this episode's troublemakers, but no! Out of the anomaly emerges a fleet of Star Destroyers, led by an Executor class Star Dreadnought. Multiple special effects ensue, along with the Science Officer's stunned tones: "Captain, there are humans on board those ships, yet if my initial analysis is correct they come from a galaxy far, far away."

Joking aside, I seem to recall that someone has actually produced a mash up like this. YouTube would be the place to look, I'd guess, although possibly life's too short. Perhaps we could go for a mega mash up. How did humans come to be on Earth and in that other galaxy? Why their ancestors were fleeing from the Cylons, of course! Cue a second anomaly and a Battlestar.

Oh hell. I think I might have to subscribe to that. Yes it is expensive but ooooooooo I WANT!

I have one of the Kotobukya cutaway X wing models which is 1:35 I believe.

Question for the OP, Looking at the falcon model, would it be the same scale?

I'll just need to find somewhere to put it.

If you look online, there are master replicas ready built models copied directly from the original going for $5-6000 so £900 isn't bad in comparison.

Archived