The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A fleeting moment of Star Wars related, joyous insanity.

froobyone

Question for the OP, Looking at the falcon model, would it be the same scale? 

As far as I know it's 1:43 scale. That X-Wing cutaway is a thing of beauty. I was looking at it recently on Amazon. But that £500 price tag made me wince a little.

Those Master Replicas Falcons fetch big money now don't they. Only 2000 ever made I think. 

This new Falcon has the potential to be even better, with the added interior details modelled.

I have no idea where it will be displayed either. But I plan to recreate the Bespin landing platform, replete with flood lights.

:)

It's going to be an exciting build, that's for sure.

• Like 2

Hells bells! Is the x wing £500 now!? I bought mine from Forbidden Planet for about £120. That sounds way overpriced. Unfortunately SWMBO relegated it to my model building room. No appreciation of art, some people. I hate to think what she will make of a honking great Falcon taking over the room!

• Like 1

Well, its out. Had a good look in Smiffs today. Looks OK and bloody big! First thing I noticed is its gonna need painting. Especially those nice shiny metal guns...

I feel a blog coming on.

Well, its out. Had a good look in Smiffs today. Looks OK and bloody big! First thing I noticed is its gonna need painting. Especially those nice shiny metal guns...

I feel a blog coming on.

• Like 1

I notice this came out way back in April. It lasted a trial run of 5 issues and stopped. It is restarting at the end of the year. Hopefully it'll go the full 100 issues.

They usually test run partworks - check any thread on them and you'll find an almost identical post somewhere on there. Suspect that as this is the full-fat version with TV advertising it will go the course. Most do even though they vanish from the shows after week 7 and are available on subscription/order only. My Dad's Hood and Bismark attest to that - all he has to do is finish building them!

The Falcon sounds great. I remember seeing Star Wars as a 7 year old. The opening shot of a big spacecraft followed by an even BIGGER one blew my young mind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, rather than wait for the subscription parts to arrive, I succumed to the quick, more seductive method of buying the first edition from an actual shop. I know right, too eager. Yoda would be grumpy. But hey, I'm not trying to curry Yoda's favour. It's that Hutt I need to sweeten. Hey, even I get boarded sometimes...

It has the added benefit of giving me something to practice weathering on and working with cast metal, which is new to me.

The magazine that was included, though derided by some on some of the more focused Falcon forums (for focused read "high level nerdyness", up to level 6* sometimes). -is actually pretty nice. Some great detail shots of the turret pits, which will come in handy should I have to scratch build them. (Please don't make me scratch build them. Please don't make me scratch build them). The mag also covers some details about Tatooine and some of the townships. Which went some way towards finally convincing my sceptical girlfriend that all of the events in Star Wars are real. How could it not be? They have a map of Tatooine, look, there's Mos Eisley. You will never find a more wretched hive...

Anyway, I've rambled. The magazine though, is just fluff, an aperitif, if you will, before the main course, the main reason I've come straight home and headed to the build room.

The little bits of recognisable FALCON! (If you've seen the Lego movie, then SPACESHIP!)

But wait, before we get to that, we have to mention the second awesome addition.

A 1:1 blueprint of the model. Oh my, it looks nice on the bench. Daunting but nice. Larger than I can actually visualise displayed anywhere in my house and still have a girlfriend, but nice.

post-446-0-24637000-1420752488_thumb.jpg

It's blue, it's printed, it has to be a blueprint!

On to the sexy stuff.

post-446-0-75748200-1420752560_thumb.jpg

What you get.

post-446-0-93472800-1420752585_thumb.jpg

This has little cut outs so it can be back-lit for unimaginable awesomeness.

post-446-0-48257300-1420752650_thumb.jpg

Mmmm, quad-cannons.

Sorry, just having a moment.

So this build thread consists entirely of building the quads and not documenting that act in any way whatsoever.

I need to re-read what the rules for a build-thread are, because so far, this is a built thread...

I may mess with some weathering oils at the weekend. I'll post the results is they look awesome. If they don't I'll edit this post to not reflect any of what I just said.

You won't know the difference, I'll just wave my hand in a mystical and knowing way and you'll let me, the kid and these droids on our way...

Oh and X-WING!

post-446-0-57361700-1420752941_thumb.jpg

Bonus!

Peace.

* Level 6 is an arbitrary number that I made up. There is no such thing as a level 6 nerd. It only goes up to level 5, as you all know. :)

post-446-0-24637000-1420752488_thumb.jpg

post-446-0-75748200-1420752560_thumb.jpg

post-446-0-93472800-1420752585_thumb.jpg

post-446-0-48257300-1420752650_thumb.jpg

post-446-0-57361700-1420752941_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I never quite got my head around how the gun turrets/pits related to each other/the rest of the Falcon... the gunners seemed to sit "opposite" each other at either end of a central tunnel, but to do that they also had to be more or less sitting at 90° to the main deck, one facing 'up' & the other 'down'???. Obviously Falcon had a pretty sophisticated Artificial Gravity system as well.... or I've just got it all wrong....

• RMweb Gold

This is the Mk.2 version, with shielded Exhaust Vents. 

Which begs the question have you sorted the Mk2 flaw and searched the woods near your shield generator for teddy bear like critters?

Key evidence of teddy bears being abandoned picnic hampers . . .

S'nuffik, that.....I'm well advanced on my 1:1 Death Star build.  This is the Mk.2 version, with shielded Exhaust Vents.  Should be fully operational in a few days time :)

polybear

Ah, yes, the famous Exhaust Vent flaw, and the not-at-all-inuendo-loaded advice at the Rebel briefing before the mission...

"It's a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The shaft leads directly to the reactor system. A precise hit will start a chain reaction....."

:O Ooh, er, Mrs...!!!! :jester: :angel:

Edited by F-UnitMad

• RMweb Premium

Which begs the question have you sorted the Mk2 flaw and searched the woods near your shield generator for teddy bear like critters?

Key evidence of teddy bears being abandoned picnic hampers . . .

And what precisely, may I ask, is wrong with "teddy bear like critters"??

polyBEAR

• RMweb Gold

And what precisely, may I ask, is wrong with "teddy bear like critters"??

polyBEAR

Nowt, but you gotta look at it from the Imperial point of view ;) Teddy bears have less tendency to drive speeder bikes and AT-ST's really badly than Ewoks.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

"I've had it up to here with Ewoks" - Peter Griffin as Han Solo*

And this.

* I couldn't find a quality video version of this.

I love Star Wars but since Family Guy did the spoofs I have trouble watching them without chuckling.

Come Luke....come over to the back side.......sorry I meant dark side....just a slip of the tongue.....

• Like 1

Guest Centurion

Gievn how much these type of models go for now £900 seems a steal. I have recently had my interest raised in sci-fi models and all the AMT ones issued in the 90's now go for silly money - about £80.00 for a USS Reliant (the other federation ship in the Wrath of Kahn) and AMT Star Destoyer (Venator class I think) about £100 the even rarer fibre optic version double that. Polar lights do a 1/350 scale original series enterprise for about £170 and the movie version for about £100 with amazing shuttle bay, arboretum detail (1/350 is big, it's over 32" long. Waiting 2 years though storing all those bits, I would be bound to lose something.

Have to say that falcon looks well made, lovely detail on the cockpit rear and nicely cast guns. Looks nicely weathered now - careful if you weather it more in bits as it will be hard to match what you have already done. Be nice to light to, there are not that many areas - cockpit, navigation and engine all that springs to mind (not counting the holographic chess set!)

I love Star Wars but since Family Guy did the spoofs I have trouble watching them without chuckling.

Yes, know exactly what you mean.

I can't watch the scene in 'Empire' where Han rescues Luke on Hoth without the Peter Griffin version of the line "I thought they smelled bad", (exaggerated pause) "on the outside" going through my head.  And there are many more since so many of the gags are so on point.

I still love Star Wars though. I even watched Episode I more than once.

Greetings. Thanks for all the amusing posts. Had a good chuckle.

So, meanwhile in space above Tatooine. Or rather, on my workbench in Hull. Which, doesn't sound quite as exciting.

Some weathering.

post-446-0-53579000-1420913837_thumb.jpg

Initial "pin" washes with a mix of oil paints. Run into all the cracks and crevices and then rubbed back when dry.

post-446-0-59740900-1420913908_thumb.jpg

At this stage, it's all still wet and nasty looking.

While that was drying, I primered up the cast metal Quad-Cannons.

post-446-0-21237500-1420913985_thumb.jpg

Nasty looking cast line there. Have to get my nail files out, I mean man files.

So after waiting the requisite twenty-four hours for the oils to go off and the primer to cure, it was time to add some weathering powders.

post-446-0-00593100-1420914123_thumb.jpg

Smoke on the quads

post-446-0-35641500-1420914159_thumb.jpg

post-446-0-24567000-1420914178_thumb.jpg

post-446-0-73209600-1420914192_thumb.jpg

Rust and dirt to the armour plating.

I haven't touched it with the airbrush yet, so that will be the next stage.

Thanks for reading.

Peace.

post-446-0-53579000-1420913837_thumb.jpg

post-446-0-59740900-1420913908_thumb.jpg

post-446-0-21237500-1420913985_thumb.jpg

post-446-0-00593100-1420914123_thumb.jpg

post-446-0-35641500-1420914159_thumb.jpg

post-446-0-24567000-1420914178_thumb.jpg

post-446-0-73209600-1420914192_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Guest Centurion

Iv'e seen that Eddie Izzard thing before, very funny. Even funnier with the stop frame animation Lego Star Wars characters. I would suggest a You Tube search of "Snatch Wars" also, even funnier but won't post a link due to it's language!

Nice weathering, make a good note of what you did though so the bits match up!

I had another thought, if you wanted to go that far it would be possible to light that cockpit rear with fibre optics. Its suprisingly easy, while you can buy them the cheapest way is to buy cheap fibre optic lamps - Argos have a One Direction one, pull out the strands and ritually burn the One Direction lamp holder for added fun!

Edited by Centurion
  • Like 1

Hiya. 

Yeah, I'm being mindful of matching it all up. This one is more of a test piece as I have a duplicate now. Having never used powders before, I wanted to give them a go without risking ruining the main model.

As for lighting, it already comes with a backlighting setup for the cockpit, which I was planning on supplementing with some blue and red LEDs powering some FO. You can get small flasher boards that will give them different flash frequencies. I think it will look much better as you say.

Thanks