The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

What a $%+^(*&

PhilJ W

Steamroller.  I figure 14 ton Fowler would have handled the problem neatly.  (had he got in the car before the tow truck had it on the back).  Since the car was on the back of the tow truck, I'd have just set off with him in it.  He's in a car...so he's safe if any incident happens.

And the direct action approach of the French is another good plot.  To me, I figure, he deserves some CA glued on stickers on his car stating that.  You wouldn't believe how hard it is to peal plastic that has had CA carefully poured onto it then slapped onto a windscreen...

James

So what he's basically saying is, he agrees it's illegal but the car cannot be moved for 8 hours. Which means you can park for 7h59m for £80, which seems quite reasonable for Birmingham City Centre.

The man drives a Vauxhall Tigra.

Don't you think he's suffered enough?

"It's his only form of Transport"....

Apart from the bus, train, bike, walking, etc.

Anyway, here's a song the Missus sings when she sees one:

The wonderful thing about Tigras,

is Tigras are wonderful things,

the tyres are made out of rubber,

the wheels are attached by the springs,

they're bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy

fun fun fun fun fun,

but the most wonderful thing about Tigras is,

that %$&@# sat in one...

Years ago Mrs PO parked in a disabled bay outside the library to drop a couple of books off - all four disabled bays were empty - came out 10 minutes later and our car had been towed! It was late in the day and the tow-truck must have been waiting. All four bays were empty afterwards, too. Cost us £110 to retrieve it. Never done it since, mind.

I have a blue badge for my mum, who uses a wheelchair, and wouldn't dream of using it unless she was in the car, and never have.

Mal

There's one thing that really gets me about this:

"If they take it off me I haven't got the funds to release it," he said.

Then don't knowingly park illegally in the first place? It's just asking for some sort of trouble...

“The police are being used by the corporations. Theresa May says we are governed by consent but I don’t consent to this."

He's a Freeman on the Land. in other words the law does not apply to him because he does not consent to be governed by it. (Except when the law says his car can't be towed for eight hours, then everyone else has to abide by it but he still doesn't, because that would imply that he consented to be bound by it).

I used to work with a FOTL, he sat opposite a conspiracy theorist and when the pair of them got going the sheer volume of paranoid delusional b******x being spouted was something to behold, they were a first class example of why some people shouldn't be allowed on the internet without a grown up. Have a look at this from one of Mick's links - it's hardly a balanced and unbiased account (although it is funny) but I can personally vouch for the fact that this only scratches the surface - http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Freeman_on_the_land

Years ago Mrs PO parked in a disabled bay outside the library to drop a couple of books off - all four disabled bays were empty - came out 10 minutes later and our car had been towed! It was late in the day and the tow-truck must have been waiting. All four bays were empty afterwards, too. Cost us £110 to retrieve it. Never done it since, mind.

I have a blue badge for my mum, who uses a wheelchair, and wouldn't dream of using it unless she was in the car, and never have.

Mal

I'd be interested to see if any of our judge-jury-executioner contributors here will have the balls to condemn your missus, Mal!

Were any BBH inconvenienced when she did this?  Answer - No, seemingly not.  Therefore she was punished for what was only a theoretical crime.  And THIS is where it all falls apart.

Bring on the Disagrees, sheeple.

I'll condemn it, unreservedly. Quite simply, don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Have I ever parked illegally, yes. Have I then bleated about the fine on the odd occasion I've been ticketed, no. My fault, pay up.

I'll condemn it, unreservedly. Quite simply, don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Have I ever parked illegally, yes. Have I then bleated about the fine on the odd occasion I've been ticketed, no. My fault, pay up.

Parking illegally includes overstaying - would you bleat when you have paid £7.20 Pay & Display for three hours parking, then overstayed through no fault of your own, and been ticketed after three minutes have elapsed?  When there are other spaces available.  No-one's been inconvenienced.  

This whole post-1984 mindset is at the root of my hatred and loathing for the city council.  The same city council that cynically plants Bus Lane restriction signs in positions where they can only be seen AFTER someone's transgressed and entered a bus lane.

Before anyone thinks I'm some mad fantasist, read this: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-bus-lanes---50000-7405963

Yesterday's charade was typical of BCC.  It could have been anyone in that car.  By which I mean - a mum with children, or dare I say a BBH overstayer.  They are money-driven, which makes them punishment-driven, which results in this power-mania.

• RMweb Premium

No doubt former Blue Badge holders must be livid !!

Yes, a Blue Badge is not for life, apparently; quite how your disability gets better is a mystery !

Simple the government made the restrictions harsher for disability claimants and councils followed suit. Why I don't know the government to save cash councils to avoid issuing badges? Now if you can stagger 20 paces you are not disabled apparently. Mind you long ago an aquaintence was informed she wasn't permanently disabled the official clearly expected her amputated legs to grow back.......

He agrees with you, which is why he has admitted he parked illegally, and made it clear he won't contest the ticket and will pay the fine.

However, he does have a problem with his vehicle being unlawfully towed away (ie. taken without consent). We should all have a problem with that - it betrays an attitude apparent in some in local councils that because they are part of the state they are above the law.

• RMweb Gold

Parking illegally includes overstaying - would you bleat when you have paid £7.20 Pay & Display for three hours parking, then overstayed through no fault of your own, and been ticketed after three minutes have elapsed?  When there are other spaces available.  No-one's been inconvenienced.  

Let me see - I go out for a train and park in a parking bay, I decide to pay for one hour because the train is due in 30 minutes, but the train gets delayed (not my fault) so it's ok for me to leave the car there and I shouldn't be given a ticket ? - excellent, I'll try that excuse next time I'm in that position.

• RMweb Gold

He agrees with you, which is why he has admitted he parked illegally, and made it clear he won't contest the ticket and will pay the fine.

However, he does have a problem with his vehicle being unlawfully towed away (ie. taken without consent). We should all have a problem with that - it betrays an attitude apparent in some in local councils that because they are part of the state they are above the law.

Why should he knowingly break the law and then use it to defend himself ? Next thing we know burglars will be suing property owners for excessive force - oops.

Presumably his daughter was still waiting for the 9 hours he made his stand ? - not that urgent then ....

Let me see - I go out for a train and park in a parking bay, I decide to pay for one hour because the train is due in 30 minutes, but the train gets delayed (not my fault) so it's ok for me to leave the car there and I shouldn't be given a ticket ? - excellent, I'll try that excuse next time I'm in that position.

You park at 1456.  Maximum allowed period 3 hours.  Parking is FREE after 1800.  You get a ticket at 1759 because you were held up due to council incompetence at a 1530 appointment but they couldn't get round to seeing you until 1645, and you didn't get back to your car until 1815.

My point with Pay and Display is that there should be a grace period.  What if I'm with my elderly father who stumbles and falls, and we take 30 minutes to get back to the car, making us five minutes late.  Bingo!  Thirty quid fine.

Please, I doubt he and I would agree on very much at all.

I return to my point about his complete lack of personnal responsibility, "it's my right to block this bay for eight hours and I will". Selfish, arrogant and inconsiderate.

And now every a**ehole knows he can park in a disabled bay for eight hours and just pay the fine. Sometimes the law is an ass, in this case allowing eight hours.

• RMweb Premium

So he agrees that he was parked illegally and is not contesting the ticket. So that makes it OK?

• RMweb Gold

I'm split on this one. Yes, as 'Chard says he is still a *** in a *****, he transgressed and was given a ticket. BUT - If the aim of the towing was to free up the disabled space then surely as he had returned it would have been easier and less hassle to just let him drive off. It does smack of either 'let's show him up and make him suffer a bit more' or 'let's make a bit more money out of this'. Neither of which should be the aim/role of the council or their officers.

I'm split on this one. Yes, as 'Chard says he is still a *** in a *****, he transgressed and was given a ticket. BUT - If the aim of the towing was to free up the disabled space then surely as he had returned it would have been easier and less hassle to just let him drive off. It does smack of either 'let's show him up and make him suffer a bit more' or 'let's make a bit more money out of this'. Neither of which should be the aim/role of the council or their officers.

Summed up perfectly.

(And more eruditely than I can manage, as I am raging)

• RMweb Gold

You park at 1456.  Maximum allowed period 3 hours.  Parking is FREE after 1800.  You get a ticket at 1759 because you were held up due to council incompetence at a 1530 appointment but they couldn't get round to seeing you until 1645, and you didn't get back to your car until 1815.

My point with Pay and Display is that there should be a grace period.  What if I'm with my elderly father who stumbles and falls, and we take 30 minutes to get back to the car, making us five minutes late.  Bingo!  Thirty quid fine.

Pay for the extra - that's what I always do, perhaps I am unique (it's often been said) - but I don't feel trying to save myself a few p means I should then complain if I get caught. I've bought tickets that go beyond the paid time in car parks for exactly that reason. I'm afraid the "council incompetence" just makes you seem like you've got a problem with your council and this is an excuse to vent.

The problem with grace periods is people see them as free parking whilst the rest of us PAY. Sorry, (back to the original point) I've had two relatives who NEEDED blue badges and seen the problems they faced due to <£$£$%"£$"$"£$"£ ers> like Mr "I don't follow the law unless it protects ME" so you won't get any sympathy from me.

• RMweb Gold

We don't actually know he was going to drive off though BoD - he may well have said "I'm leaving it there for eight hours as you can't touch it until then", the car had already been lifted when he returned.

Sorry for 'venting.'   You good folk don't have to live here.

EDIT:  I'm quite happy with the bunch of Disagrees I've received.  If any of you share a B-postcode and pay your Poll Tax to Albert Einstein, then I envy your experience of this great city.

• RMweb Gold

Our local Tesco has two bays which seem only to be used by people who can't be bothered to walk an extra twelve feet.

As it happens one of our neighbours is wheelchair bound. She doesn't use those spaces. She just wheels herself the three quarters of a mile each way.

She also does the school run wheelchair style, past the gridlocked cars round the school gate who can't be bothered to use the parking provided a hundred or so meters away.

We don't actually know he was going to drive off though BoD - he may well have said "I'm leaving it there for eight hours as you can't touch it until then", the car had already been lifted when he returned.

Now I've re-read this I'm smiling at the realisation that Macc Lad might have planned it on the spot!

The crafty sod gave his reason for not being with his car for the whole time between the ticket being placed and the car being lifted: because 'I went back into the hotel and was sat on the toilet when the flatbed arrived.'  (Source: live radio interview with BBC WM about 2pm)

Part of me says, he already had it in mind that he'd better have no reason to get caught short for several hours.  Crafty get.

Archived