Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The RMweb Christmas Quiz - Follow yonder Red Star

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Penultimate clue

cracked in the New Year

but what on earth

am I doing here?

Well, my Christmas present

is still in the post.

I, sincerely, hope

it isn't lost.

A sign in the sky

said: Follow the star!

On RMweb.

It's not very far.

I've followed the parcel

up and down the line.

I do believe

it must be mine!

Now, solving the clues

and destinations,

I'm totally filled

with great expectations.

So, when we arrive

at the end of this trail,

please, pop my parcel

on the Irish Mail.

Then I’ll pick it up

before the ferry sails

away from this scenic

corner of Wales.

It seems like everyone followed the clues about kippers on the Belle down to Brighton OK so we may as well move on to Day 11 with our lost parcel.

Everyone?

What has Larry to do with kippers? For that matter I also have a very limited knowledge of the Brighton Belle, it was an EMU as far as I recall.

Everyone?

What has Larry to do with kippers? For that matter I also have a very limited knowledge of the Brighton Belle, it was an EMU as far as I recall.

Larry = Sir Laurence Olivier, was a resident of Brighton and regular user of the Brighton Belle to get to and from London for his theatre appointments. Leader of a successful 'Passengers Revolt' when BR proposed removing Kippers from the Breakfast menu on the Belle...

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Premium

Kippers?? Now for some expensive cold fish eaters! I suppose we will end up at a seaside resort or a fishing port the way this seems to be going! I thought this was Blackpool North at first sight but then we are too cheap up here! See

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/content/images/2008/02/22/blackpol_north_station_470x301.jpg

if you want to realise how blind I have become recently! smiley! ( I could never figure out how to include the animated icons!)

• RMweb Premium

Kippers?? Now for some expensive cold fish eaters! I suppose we will end up at a seaside resort or a fishing port the way this seems to be going! I thought this was Blackpool North at first sight but then we are too cheap up here! See

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/content/images/2008/02/22/blackpol_north_station_470x301.jpg

if you want to realise how blind I have become recently! smiley! ( I could never figure out how to include the animated icons!)

You were a whole lot nearer than me.  I first thought it was the Express Link West Kowloon building. :fool: 

Maybe I was on a fishing trip, too.

http://www.prc-magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/web.jpg

Not long before I remembered we'd passed by a more probable location not so long ago. Bingo.

You were a whole lot nearer than me.  I first thought it was the Express Link West Kowloon building. :fool:

Maybe I was on a fishing trip, too.

http://www.prc-magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/web.jpg

Not long before I remembered we'd passed by a more probable location not so long ago. Bingo.

An astonishing transformation...

Very cunning of Andy. It means that the last one can be almost anywhere in the country.

Well spotted; keeping my options open!

Day 11 took us to Birmingham New Street (or what it optimistically will look like in the near future).

Last leg now:

Xmas_Quiz_Day12.jpg

I'll post the last answer late tonight which wraps it up before heading back to work. :)

Thanks for playing guys!

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I think my mind works in a completely different way from Andy's, so I'm completely lost. Thought the last one was Gatwick Airport....

Anyway, we're not at Tyseley are we?

If that's your final answer I'm afraid it's a Dud. :(

I've got a final score of 9, failed on 3,5 and 6

• RMweb Gold

Super Quiz, Andy - a lot of head scratching and dead ends, but thoroughly enjoyable.

This evening, SWMBO, asked "what on earth are you doing",

"its RMWeb Christmas Quiz, where you follow the parcel, look here's the final clue"

"Have you tried ****** ? "

" no, but it could be it "

Guess what - she got it in one!

Many thanks to Andy, Cheers, Aidan.

• RMweb Premium

We went via HolyWELL, WELLingborough and WELLington...

Then got the map out.  :read:

:jester:

My own parcel has turned up but not here.

Returned to sender.  Apparently it's been sitting at our local depot since before Christmas

waiting for us to pick it up but nobody told us it was there. I’ll get it eventually.

We enjoyed the mystery rail tour, Andy.

Answers all present and correct.

Till next year, then.

So long, and thanks for all the fish kippers.

42 and Ray

• RMweb Premium

Well, got there with the first part of the name! Many thanks Andy and all the other contributors for passing the time until back to work tomorrow! I am teaching Chartwork, Tides & Sailing in a Merchant Navy College at Fleetwood tomorrow to some recent trainee deck officers leaving for their first trip away at the end of the month. A bit different from trying to fond out where trains go from Birmingham!

I managed to get the last five, unaided, and have enjoyed making the grey matter work in a different way whilst looking at various kits and bits and tidying the room ready for when I get modelling again once I have bought a few bits that I have now listed!

Cheers everyone

Ian in sunny and now starry Blackpool

Just to tie the ends up we only went one stop up the Stour Valley line from New Street to get to Sandwell & Dudley. :)

It's still one of the silliest names for a station in my mind, one half for a settlement that's never really existed and the other for a station in a different borough. What was wrong with Oldbury anyway?

• RMweb Gold

Well if it's not Tyseley (water and sand for the locos.....), then I got 2 right - Swindon and St Pancras.

Fortunately thanks to Collie Knox and dear Larry I also got Brighton - but that was that. 

I did wonder if the final one might be Coventry as Oasis apparently played at the Ricoh and of course so did RMweb, but Ii couldn't find any wells in Coventry so that was that - and i used to know the Mayor of Sandwell (or was it Dudley?) back in the1980s - show how much the name of the station sunk in :jester:

Archived