• RMweb Premium

How man, wots wrong with Minchella's in Sooth Sheelds? Nivvor mind this Whitley Bay posh stuff........  :jester:

Keep them coming Hal, they're interesting, like the scrapyard scene with the arches in the background too.

As for following threads, I seem to only be able to have about 6 on the go, then they don't pop back up when someone has posted.  So I don't really click on that many, I just know which ones I look for.

Yay photos we like photos.... :imsohappy:

I like your scrap yard, the "bombed" out building and the large building to the rear and the station area around the signal box those look immediately interesting so more photos would be nice.

I've touched on splitting your layout into areas and concentrating on one bit at a time and this photo highlights one such area from the bridge to the scrap cars and from the front of the board to the railway line. If you focus on that and do it in little chunks when you can afford time you get great rewards.

:friends:

Steve

How man, wots wrong with Minchella's in Sooth Sheelds? Nivvor mind this Whitley Bay posh stuff........  :jester:

.....Not forgetting Marsden Grotto under the cliffs with all the kittiwakes and puffins.....oh!....then there's posh Whitburn

And the Harton colliery line was where (to my astonishment) I copped my one and only UK working steeple cab electric loco.

dh

.....Not forgetting Marsden Grotto under the cliffs with all the kittiwakes and puffins.....oh!....then there's posh Whitburn

And the Harton colliery line was where (to my astonishment) I copped my one and only UK working steeple cab electric loco.

dh

Em.. "posh Whitburn" is an oxymoron.  :nono:  ;)

You charmer! :blush:

OK. Next time you're up. But I take the lead with the dancing. You'll have to be my bit 'o fluff. :D

I just want to know if there will be cucumber sandwiches, I don't think he mind crusts, but I prefer the cucumber seeped in vinegar. 

"Seriously though" (heralding a return to ON T)

Between you and me I've been noticing how dt is backsliding away from the noble art of MOCK UP.

Nowadays he akcherly pays out serious money to get highly accurate amazing models made

http://www.lnrmodels.blogspot.co.uk/

to replace thoroughly risible passable photo-image mock-ups. :nono:

Thanks to Freebs, folks around Blaydon have lost hundreds of hours of image manipulation business.

Nobody is ever going to see the real Dover Priory layout, cos it won't get out through garage doors past the leckky meter. :no:  What we all enjoy is the banter :jester: around the mock-ups. :yes:

The Medium is the Message said Marshall McCluhan; and this Medium is the RMweb 1MB max image..

What I'm requesting from you Hal/Tony is more Cuneo atmospherics in your continuing posting of Mock Ups.

:imsohappy:

dh

I don't think you'll be out of business anytime soon.......I still have Ye Olde Whyte Horse AND a water tower to sort.......

Message...........I only do Seances by request.......in a Sedan Chair. bring your own, Frilly Lampshade 

Why didn't you say.......my dead mum believed in seances, and was not above a hand of Tarot. Are you any good at the cards too???? I might still have a pack for when you next visit. I might have a nice dress you can borrow....for when you visit Hal too......only if I get photos tho' you understand :angel:

Yessssss I know hat....coat.....leave before booted out......... :jester:

I just want to know if there will be cucumber sandwiches, I don't think he mind crusts, but I prefer the cucumber seeped in vinegar. 

I don't think you'll be out of business anytime soon.......I still have Ye Olde Whyte Horse AND a water tower to sort.......

Why didn't you say.......my dead mum believed in seances, and was not above a hand of Tarot. Are you any good at the cards too???? I might still have a pack for when you next visit. I might have a nice dress you can borrow....for when you visit Hal too......only if I get photos tho' you understand :angel:

Yessssss I know hat....coat.....leave before booted out......... :jester:

Hi Redskalie,

Nice to have you pop-in. (Y'know, I am starting to get a "thing" about dt... )

No no Kal is Reskalie.....I just occasionally hi jack his account to add videos of AV on Youtube. Which reminds me, about time I did an update......

Arboretum Valley

by redskalie

• 2 months ago
Model Railway Layout http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?

S'funny. I've had that name down for you in my mind for years. Just goes to prove how easy it is to make errors online.

Yes, more videos, please. :D

Hal

Hiya Hal,

I've just caught up with your thread as you may have gathered from the various "likes" etc I've posted.  I was initially drawn here by the fact that you have visited my own thread and your RMWeb moniker is just great - what fantastic names we spotted as lads (not knowing at the time they were mostly race horses, or at least I didn't).  Yours was one of my favourites along with ... erm, hang on a minute, just off to find my summer 1962 abc spotters book ..... right, here we go......

Blink Bonny

Minoru

Harvester

Shotover (probably my favourite of all)

Hal o' the Wynd (of course)

Bon Accord

Airbourne

Steady Aim

Straight Deal

...to name but a few.  These were mainly "spotted" journeying up the ECML back to Easington in County Durham - we moved to Essex when I was young and have been here ever since.

It's taken me a few days to catch up with your heart breaking story.  Me and my missus have had a few medical issues in recent years but they pale in comparison.  There's not much I can say other than stick with it mate and stay on here if you find it helps.

One thought that did cross my mind - my mum looked after my dad towards the end, he couldn't get up the stairs and slept in the living room.  She managed to get something called Respite Care whereby my dad spent a fortnight in an old peoples home to give my mum a break and then my dad returned home afterwards.  Is this not an option for you?  At least it would give you a break.

Harking back to 1960s, it was always a bit of a culture shock returning to the Durham coal field at this time - I remember everything seemed to be covered in coal dust, the atmosphere was thick with the smoke from a thousand chimneys (smokeless zones?  What were they?), pit heaps like mountains, dandelion and burdock, fish and chip shops on every corner (seemed like) - a different age.  Happy times for me and, I suspect, you.  Are things better today?  I wonder sometimes.

All the best to you and yours.

Regards,

Brian.

PS Just about to Follow your topic so please keep it coming.

Hiya Hal,

I've just caught up with your thread as you may have gathered from the various "likes" etc I've posted.  I was initially drawn here by the fact that you have visited my own thread and your RMWeb moniker is just great - what fantastic names we spotted as lads (not knowing at the time they were mostly race horses, or at least I didn't).  Yours was one of my favourites along with ... erm, hang on a minute, just off to find my summer 1962 abc spotters book ..... right, here we go......

Blink Bonny

Minoru

Harvester

Bon Accord

Airbourne

Steady Aim

Straight Deal

...to name but a few.  These were mainly "spotted" journeying up the ECML back to Easington in County Durham - we moved to Essex when I was young and have been here ever since.

It's taken me a few days to catch up with your heart breaking story.  Me and my missus have had a few medical issues in recent years but they pale in comparison.  There's not much I can say other than stick with it mate and stay on here if you find it helps.

One thought that did cross my mind - my mum looked after my dad towards the end, he couldn't get up the stairs and slept in the living room.  She managed to get something called Respite Care whereby my dad spent a fortnight in an old peoples home to give my mum a break and then my dad returned home afterwards.  Is this not an option for you?  At least it would give you a break.

Harking back to 1960s, it was always a bit of a culture shock returning to the Durham coal field at this time - I remember everything seemed to be covered in coal dust, the atmosphere was thick with the smoke from a thousand chimneys (smokeless zones?  What were they?), pit heaps like mountains, dandelion and burdock, fish and chip shops on every corner (seemed like) - a different age.  Happy times for me and, I suspect, you.  Are things better today?  I wonder sometimes.

Regards,

Brian.

I agree if someone posts on your thread it is only polite to check 'em out, unless they are rude.....then I NEVER visit.

edit to add=I thought your post very supportive, and it can be really nice to know where a new poster comes from :sungum: I am sure Hal also likes your thought processes.

Hiya Hal,

Blink Bonny

Minoru

Harvester

Bon Accord

Airbourne

Steady Aim

Straight Deal

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Lovely to see you here. I think that in modelling terms you and I are very similar. There are some who model the ECML who are way above my head. I don't mean that in a derogatory way. They simply have devoted their lives to it and are so advanced in knowledge regarding the tiniest of details,  and have aquired complex skills, that I find them a little overwhelming.

Anyway, your post requires a more thorough response, but I am under the domestic cosh at the moment. :jester: So I'll come back to you later.

One happy thought. My cousin lived in Stanley, where his father was a Coal Board gaffer of some sort, although you wouldn't have thought so by their house. They lived in Dare Road, near to the railway line which was constantly busy. I used to love staying there. (I came from "posh" Whitley Bay lol) The atmosphere for young lads was both exciting and frightening. There used to be dances at the Co-op Hall that always ended in mass fights! I remember one lad who won a bet 'cos he was dead hard but someone challenged him to nut in the toilet door - He did. Sounds awful, but at the same time there was a degree of local working-class solidarity that has now gone forever.

Anyway, more as soon as I'm able. ;)

Tony aka Hal

Hi Hal, just to say, I've started to have a re read though but will continue tomorrow when I have a bit more time, looks really good so far mate. 

That's very kind of you, Andy. It's very early days and I do struggle time-wise, but I've recently been doing some scenic work that I'm quite pleased with. It shouldn't be too long before I've some more photographs and a description of the reasoning behind the layout, why I've taken the "Fantasy" option.

Thanks again for all the help I've received on your thread. It's very refreshing to receive advice from someone as advanced as yourself. Sadly, there are a few who rather dismiss the beginner. I hope I can offer you something of interest over forthcoming months.

Regards,

Hal

• RMweb Premium

Afraid I can't get used to the <3 heart, not ice-cream cone, button being at the end of the row.  Apologies, Hal, if a HAHA or Hit by accident button appeared in your Notifications box. 

It's taken me a while to catch up but two things crossed my mind.

Buildings in the distance being paler (less prominent) than those at the front - something for me to think about, as well. Creating depth on a narrow layout was a challenge.  In line with this is using H0 gauge figures beyond the larger 00 ones.  I noticed a big discrepancy between my RTP 00 and HO figures and the larger 00 white metal ones when I started putting them out on Camel Quay for Stafford and was prepared to ditch the H0 ones on the spot until I accepted that, pushed to the back, they forced the perspective to gave a slight sense of distance.  So they're staying until I can gradually replace them.  On a layout-in-a-chocolate-box competition, I went even further and downsized to N gauge people in the background.  So, as others have suggested, moving things around or varying the prominence of things on your layout can be done, too, no doubt.  I guess, you could apply it to locos and rolling stock, too, if they only occupy the distance.

The second thing was some Cuneo atmospherics.  His Storm over Southall is hard to beat but what I love in it is that optimistic streak of sunshine.  That smile that hopefully say's, It'll be OK.

Afraid I can't get used to the <3 heart, not ice-cream cone, button being at the end of the row.  Apologies, Hal, if a HAHA or Hit by accident button appeared in your Notifications box. 

It's taken me a while to catch up but two things crossed my mind.

Buildings in the distance being paler (less prominent) than those at the front - something for me to think about, as well. Creating depth on a narrow layout was a challenge.  In line with this is using H0 gauge figures beyond the larger 00 ones.  I noticed a big discrepancy between my RTP 00 and HO figures and the larger 00 white metal ones when I started putting them out on Camel Quay for Stafford and was prepared to ditch the H0 ones on the spot until I accepted that, pushed to the back, they forced the perspective to gave a slight sense of distance.  So they're staying until I can gradually replace them.  On a layout-in-a-chocolate-box competition, I went even further and downsized to N gauge people in the background.  So, as others have suggested, moving things around or varying the prominence of things on your layout can be done, too, no doubt.  I guess, you could apply it to locos and rolling stock, too, if they only occupy the distance.

The second thing was some Cuneo atmospherics.  His Storm over Southall is hard to beat but what I love in it is that optimistic streak of sunshine.  That smile that hopefully say's, It'll be OK.

Sorry I'm late responding to this, Poll. I tend to post on the run in a rather haphazard way. I did manage to post on your site, though. I love browsing - that's how I discovered you! - but time is ever a thief in my life.

It's interesting about characters. Quite a few modellers place HO at the back, and some with N if real distance is the issue. I've been thinking of using N gauge terraces to bleed into the backscene. Time will tell. I am working on a module that is coming along quite well. Hopefully, pictures in the not too distant future.

Thank you for your input, very much appreciated.

Hal

Hiya Hal,

Blink Bonny

Minoru

Harvester

Bon Accord

Airbourne

Steady Aim

Straight Deal

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Lovely to see you here. I think that in modelling terms you and I are very similar. There are some who model the ECML who are way above my head. I don't mean that in a derogatory way. They simply have devoted their lives to it and are so advanced in knowledge regarding the tiniest of details,  and have aquired complex skills, that I find them a little overwhelming.

Anyway, your post requires a more thorough response, but I am under the domestic cosh at the moment. :jester: So I'll come back to you later.

One happy thought. My cousin lived in Stanley, where his father was a Coal Board gaffer of some sort, although you wouldn't have thought so by their house. They lived in Dare Road, near to the railway line which was constantly busy. I used to love staying there. (I came from "posh" Whitley Bay lol) The atmosphere for young lads was both exciting and frightening. There used to be dances at the Co-op Hall that always ended in mass fights! I remember one lad who won a bet 'cos he was dead hard but someone challenged him to nut in the toilet door - He did. Sounds awful, but at the same time there was a degree of local working-class solidarity that has now gone forever.

Anyway, more as soon as I'm able. ;)

Tony aka Hal

Hello again, Brian,

I trust that excerpt from my misspent youth did not disturb you. In reality, my cousin and I were observers who ran like hell  whenever things kicked off! And yet I still recall those days with pleasure.

There was a derelict Goods Yard - the Goodsie - close by Dare Road. When we went out my cousin Dennis's mother used to say, "Mind, keep away from the Goodsie - " Of course we went straight to it. There was no security and we used the main Goods Shed as a base where all his friends would meet, and we'd decide what mischief we'd get up to. One favourite was the Colliery Air Vents. We'd climb to the top, sit around the edge, and drop stones down. We used to count the seconds till there was a distant, echoing splash, then work out how far we'd fall till we hit the water. Very tense! There was also a Scrap Yard owned by a man called Bell. He was called Dinky Bell - cause he collected cars. We used to sneak in to collect "clocks". The clocks were vehicle instruments, of no earthly use at all, and scrambling over the wrecks was as dangerous as hell. Even more so if Bell saw us and began to shoot at us with his air rifle. I got hit in the shoulder, once. Just jammed in the padding of my blazer. We never complained, of course. We were in the wrong and we knew it. Can you imagine that happening today? - He'd get killed by armed Police!

Otherwise, I was fortunate enough to travel to Newcastle to my Grammar School, passing Heaton Sheds twice a day. That was when I first saw Hal. My middle name is Harold so I badgered everyone into calling me, Hal. Apart from moving visits to Heaton we spotted at Newcastle Central - which was very comfortable in bad weather, and we went to Gateshead a couple of times; that was scary! Gateshead used to prosecute spotters. A lad I know was taken to court for trespassing and  received probation, which was really bad in those days. Mainly we'd just glimpse locos so it wasn't really worth the effort of climbing the Ash Pile from the Tyne just to get there. Utterly filthy, exhausted and scared. Happy Days! ;)

Well, it's time for me to make the evening meal. If I'm lucky I might get some *modelling done tonight. I'm working on a project that should provide some interesting photographs.

Till next time,

Hal

EDIT. *I'd forgotten we were having guests. Fortunately it was Ladies jawing so I managed to sneak away for posting purposes. But no modelling! :(

Hi Hal, Well I've now caught up and looking forward to more pics and descriptions of various builds quite soon.

All the best.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for putting up with several pages where there is little to stimulate the modeller. How the heck I've got so many followers is beyond me - it's a great honour. I rather think it's the ECML label: loads of well known locos, even it they are RTR with a bit of muck on, guaranteed as visual events - even if the layout is rubbish!.

Now I face the challenge of living up to everyone's care. I mentioned the platforms on your thread, Andy, nine coaches long and curved, and I said I planned to use balsa, trying trains on the edges, sand-papering and using a 12v car vac to pick up the adjusting dust before it does any harm. An even greater challenge, though, are the Station Canopies.

The North Eastern was known for it's glazed canopies in the more important stations. For me it was the EMU/DMU coastal-loop that is well known north of the Tyne. Designed for commuters, it has to be admitted that it was the posher areas that had the best stations and canopies. The via Wallsend part of the loop was less posh after North Shields, and the Riverside Line was even more spartan. Scruffy labourers and Dock workers were allowed to get wet, while Monkseaton, Whitley Bay, Cullercoats, Tynemouth and North Shields were very well catered for. Similarly, Heaton and Manors itself were beautifully glazed. It is this type of glazing I must complete, and the cast-iron decoration of the columns will be particularly interesting

Here are two views of Heaton which indicate the structural complexity.

post-21358-0-94455400-1423176553.jpg

post-21358-0-48691100-1423176574.jpg

The pictures speak for themselves. I assume the darkness under the glazing in the first picture is down to many years of pollution, although something is ringing a bell about areas of cement-based panelling - what used to be asbestos - in certain areas, but I don't know why - unless it was wartime damage to the glazing? 

In the second image the canopies are being dismantled - to be replaced by platform bus-stops.  :O

post-21358-0-77591800-1423176780_thumb.jpg

The first two pictures are copyright Alan Young, taken from his excellent "Suburban Railways of Tyneside" published by Martin Bairstow of Leeds.

The last is the excellent Trevor Ermel - who I'm still  trying to contact.

Later, when I've drawn the plans for the canopies, I shall be asking for advice on their construction. I have an idea how I might do it. But outside contributions will be very welcome.

So, that's a couple of major tasks ahead.Hopefully this will be of interest, Andy.

For the moment, though, I'd saved £120.00 towards a new loco - or, more likely, van-packs from Hattons - but that money has gone elsewhere. Where, will be revealed in the near future. 

Thank you so much for your interest, Andy - Everyone,

Till next time,

Hal

Hal I'd like to know what date those pics of Heaton station are.

I first came in earnest ('Boots On The Ground' they say nowadays) to the NE in 1970, where I heard I'd got the sack as Gov housing architect in Tanzania when all the private landlord properties were suddenly nationalised - and I've stayed put here more or less ever since.

So we'd missed the Tyneside electrics, though Manors and the Riverside loop were still in existence with those dismal diesels. The disused hulk of Heaton's timber bridge station seems to have remained until quite recently; my son and his family have lived in the terraces just to the right of those two lower photos for the past 12 years or so.

I think I recall the left hand side brick deck access flats (really unpopular) being built in the early 1970s by the City architect - at the same time as the early phases of Ralph Erskine's Byker wall were being moved into (by ecstatic elderly folks) on the other side of Shields Road.

I've been here too long - Byker Wall has since very nearly been demolished - now its English Heritage listed Grade II

dh

Hal I'd like to know what date those pics of Heaton station are.

I first came in earnest ('Boots On The Ground' they say nowadays) to the NE in 1970, where I heard I'd got the sack as Gov housing architect in Tanzania when all the private landlord properties were suddenly nationalised - and I've stayed put here more or less ever since.

So we'd missed the Tyneside electrics, though Manors and the Riverside loop were still in existence with those dismal diesels. The disused hulk of Heaton's timber bridge station seems to have remained until quite recently; my son and his family have lived in the terraces just to the right of those two lower photos for the past 12 years or so.

I think I recall the left hand side brick deck access flats (really unpopular) being built in the early 1970s by the City architect - at the same time as the early phases of Ralph Erskine's Byker wall were being moved into (by ecstatic elderly folks) on the other side of Shields Road.

I've been here too long - Byker Wall has since very nearly been demolished - now its English Heritage listed Grade II

dh

Hello David,

Sorry for the delay and the brevity. 

The first is pre '73. The second is 73, and the third is '74.

I don't know about the two blocks to the left, but the block just visible on the right is pre- '63. I was still at school as it was being built. Apart from the famous luxury block on the Whitley Lodge Estate, this block was one of the first in the area.

Thanks for your Contribution,

Hal.

Hello Everyone,

I'm not at all well. In nerve-related terms, it appears that what my Doctors have deemed as inevitable might be taking place. Whatever. Practically, I appear to have lost the ability to communicate via the written word. For sometime now I've been drafting at length, posting - editing, editing, editing - and then deleting. Or sometimes a post has been up for a few hours but is eventually deleted. It has taken me a couple of days, off and on, to write this (supposing it is not edited into bits then deleted :jester:  ) This is obviously not healthy.

I've been offered a Respite Break. Located on a lovely, isolated part of the Northumberland coast, it is without internet connection; testing, but perhaps useful.

post-21358-0-90361800-1423599719_thumb.jpg

In the meantime, a picture: - The A3 60093 CORANACH Although I love A1s, sometimes I wish an A1/3 carried my namesake. They are the most beautiful of beasts on rails – no argument.

Oh yes, and the recently established Scotsward Way buildings are visible through the mist.

Kind Regards,

Hal

Archived