You so deserve your break, Tony.  Enjoy it, and have a kipper for me.

I agree you deserve it. But 'have a kipper on me' assumes it's going to be Seahouses or Craster.

post-21705-0-00909100-1423613244.jpg

It might be Newbiggin...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/pair-dress-newbiggin-couple-anniversary-1473593

...in which case enjoy a sausage pancake at the Riviera Cafe next Tuesday.  :locomotive:

dh

You so deserve your break, Tony.  Enjoy it, and have a kipper for me.

N

Thanks, Neil - you're pretty close by to the most famous of kippers.

Enjoy your break Hal and that A3 is a stunner, nothing beats a Gresley pacific 

Thanks, Will - the A3s are very special. As an A1 the Flying Scotsman has to be the most well known loco next to Mallard. There are many lovely locos from all areas, but the A3 is THE one that does it for me!

Hi Hal,

Enjoy the Break. Just imagine you're Hal 'o the Wynd going on shed for a bit of TLC.

The perfect image to sustain. Thanks Poll. :D

Break in the tranquil North sounds wonderful. Have a good one!!

Dave

I hope so. Thanks Dave.

I agree you deserve it. But 'have a kipper on me' assumes it's going to be Seahouses or Craster.

attachicon.gifnewbiggin by sea.jpg

It might be Newbiggin...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/pair-dress-newbiggin-couple-anniversary-1473593

...in which case enjoy a sausage pancake at the Riviera Cafe next Tuesday.  :locomotive:

dh

I'm a fan of public art, David, and I particularly like the couple, but there in lies a problem.

Other the Fire Brigade night shifts and the occasional one-nighter, seeing my publisher/agent in London, Joan and I have never been apart...

Pressed and convinced by so many, that this break is a necessity, and despite the considerable financial outlay, I finally succombed. It is, though, the one factor that might scupper the whole affair. :(

I've a hospital appointment tomorrow. I've had cameras "up the front" and I've had cameras "up the back", but never both at once!  Moreover, as it needs to follow a number of bodily functions, it is for a fair length of time. However, if it helps sort out the chronic Urinary tract Infections which - along with the mind-altering co-amoxiclav - are draining me utterly, then, it'll be worth it.

Friday is the leaving day. I'm not looking forward to the parting...

So, if I can press the *Add Reply* button, and leave this compilation alone without editing it to death, there we are for now.

I can't thank you all enough for your generous support. 

Kind Regards,

Tony aka Hal

It was a guess for Craster, RAR!

Yes Tony, the Peel smokehouses can be seen from here,  500 yards away.  It pains me to admit (as a Geordie) that Manx kippers are better than Craster!

Try to relax and have a good time mate.

N

Oh dear...

preferring the continental to the local kipper is abandonment indeed! But - you cannot enjoy a kipper without hearing the rolling *Rs* of Northumbrian prattle - rich rambling rattle. It's like an audible sauce: cannot be done without. ;)

You have my pity,  :jester:

Hal

Hi Hal, I'm really sorry to hear of your latest problem mate, I hope the break will rejuvenate you back to your brilliant self.

All the best and we will look forward to your posting again soon.

I cannot tell you what that means, from you, at this time. I'll simply say, you too, with the addition that applies to me, also - only do what YOU want.

You've become a great friend in a very short time. I'm honoured.

Tony.

......the Peel smokehouses can be seen from here,  500 yards away.  It pains me to admit (as a Geordie) that Manx kippers are better than Craster!

a long time Manx friend told me that all the herrings for kippering in the British isles get imported from Canada these days due to fishing quotas.

So are we talking about what we are smoking while we kipper? :drag:

dh

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony.

Sorry to hear of your latest problems. However if anyone deserves a break it is you. Get plenty of fresh air I swear by it mate.

Seeing as there's no internet where you're staying why not take a shoe box with a small modeling project in along with you.

Have enjoyed catching up on your thread this evening  and have to agree with Will about the A3s. Pure elegance!

Those mock ups are very tantalizing, I'm sure I speak for all the followers of this thread when I say can't wait to see  more of your talent for atmosphere!!

Regards Shaun.     

Hi Tony.

Sorry to hear of your latest problems. However if anyone deserves a break it is you. Get plenty of fresh air I swear by it mate.

Seeing as there's no internet where you're staying why not take a shoe box with a small modeling project in along with you.

Have enjoyed catching up on your thread this evening  and have to agree with Will about the A3s. Pure elegance!

Those mock ups are very tantalizing, I'm sure I speak for all the followers of this thread when I say can't wait to see  more of your talent for atmosphere!!

Regards Shaun.     

Thanks Shaun,

As it happens I have already got some bits and pieces together for a scratchbuilt corner shop. Cutting the Wills brick is a pain - literally! - but I'll take it slowly, and only if the weather is too bad. I agree about the fresh air. I was talking to Dave - *runs as required* - on a PM, about doing some sketching - I've felt the pull of the easel recently, but, as I no longer have a car as a comfortable  mini studio, outdoor art is dependent on the weather, too.

Thanks for the remarks about the mock-ups. If I recall correctly, you have the same ruined building kit. It's very attractive as a source for creativity: think of the fun there is in cutting out a few hundred broken slates! From the Fire Service I know, if there is one thing that crackles under foot in such derelicts, it's slates. Food for thought. ;)

Thanks for popping by. I'm way overdue checking out your latest excellence. I'll have to call in before I go off piste. (phonetic pun  :jester: )

Tony

a long time Manx friend told me that all the herrings for kippering in the British isles get imported from Canada these days due to fishing quotas.

So are we talking about what we are smoking while we kipper? :drag:

dh

I wouldn't be at at all surprised. At our Fish Quay - still a handful of  ornamental trawlers, but mainly fancy restaurants - there are quite a few fish shops to attract people to the quay's essence. I know, too, that the majority is imported. Pathetic!

how

You know, Tony, despite the fact that I was born in County Durham and still have relatives there, the furthest north I've ever been in the UK (hang on, or anywhere else in the world come to that) is Whitley Bay!  Me and Mrs D really must get up into Northumberland.  We greatly enjoyed Robson Green's recent TV travelogue (filmed in high summer though) which made the area very enticing.  My brother-in-law (born in Essex but his mum was a Northumberland lass) is always going on about Seahouses, Craster, etc, etc.

Note to self - go to Northumberland sometime soon!!

Regards,

Brian. 

PS Enjoy your break

PPS Card modelling is also hard on you hands (and even harder on your blades).

• RMweb Premium

Indeed our herring are imported unfortunately, not allowed to land it here, bl**dy stupid - but the local smokehouses (Moores & Devereaus) do a better job than Robsons in Craster.  The shellfish is all local though, queenies, king scollops, crab and lobster. Hate it.

As for smoking the other stuff - I have just retired from nicking people for that........

You know, Tony, despite the fact that I was born in County Durham and still have relatives there, the furthest north I've ever been in the UK (hang on, or anywhere else in the world come to that) is Whitley Bay!  Me and Mrs D really must get up into Northumberland.  We greatly enjoyed Robson Green's recent TV travelogue (filmed in high summer though) which made the area very enticing.  My brother-in-law (born in Essex but his mum was a Northumberland lass) is always going on about Seahouses, Craster, etc, etc.

Note to self - go to Northumberland sometime soon!!

Regards,

Brian. 

PS Enjoy your break

PPS Card modelling is also hard on you hands (and even harder on your blades).

I was born in Whitley Bay. My parents ran a B&B, so I never had any summer holidays like other people - I was luckier! When a couple came with a kid about my age I was adopted, firstly as a guide, but more importantly, as a friend who occupied the kid. Hence, whatever the kid got I got, Heavenly summers.

We met Robson Green in Sainsburys some years ago - when Joan was in a chair but not housebound. He really is small, in the flesh.

Northumberland used to be the best-kept-secret for holiday makers: beautiful and quiet, with more Castles per square mile than anywhere else in the UK.'Not sure if that's true, but Alnwick (Harry Potter) and Bamburgh are second to none if you like such things - we did. Castles and Stately homes, we drank the historic wine.

I find card easier, to be honest, though it does blunt blades. I use offcuts of artist's mounting board which is friendly, at least (my local art shop gives me sack loads). With Wills It's the texture that throws the knife, even cutting from the back, which is not a good idea if you want to aline brickwork with openings.

I don't know if I'll get time to post in the morning, so - Bye Brian - Everyone.

Tony

Indeed our herring are imported unfortunately, not allowed to land it here, bl**dy stupid - but the local smokehouses (Moores & Devereaus) do a better job than Robsons in Craster.  The shellfish is all local though, queenies, king scollops, crab and lobster. Hate it.

As for smoking the other stuff - I have just retired from nicking people for that........

Interesting. Our next door neighbour is a Detective Sergeant at the nearby Nick. He plays rugby for the police. Lovely guy... but I'd hate to get on the wrong side of him!

I'm not fond of shellfish. Once upon a time I think people were happy to eat anything that was edible, freely available and cheap. Now we have more sophisticated tastes - even if most of it is bad for you. I've just had a toasted sultana bagel with Manuka honey on. The Manuka is a natural antibiotic - at least that's my story.

See you later Neil, :)

Tony. 

Daughter met Robson Green in a club down the 'toon' many moons ago and was reportedly coming onto him a bit strong.

"Ee, I would if I could pet" he said...

"Its not that I don't fancy yer, but I'm already married." is her memory of how it ended. :wub:

I've always admired him for that.

dh

Daughter met Robson Green in a club down the 'toon' many moons ago and was reportedly coming onto him a bit strong.

"Ee, I would if I could pet" he said...

"Its not that I don't fancy yer, but I'm already married." is her memory of how it ended. :wub:

I've always admired him for that.

dh

Aye but he left her! She was a local nurse apparently, and stardom got to him in the end. 'Course he might be married again and that is the situation your talking about, but I doubt it. ;)

how

Northumberland used to be the best-kept-secret for holiday makers: beautiful and quiet, with more Castles per square mile than anywhere else in the UK.'Not sure if that's true, but Alnwick (Harry Potter) and Bamburgh are second to none

Agreed!

post-16151-0-14546800-1423841507_thumb.jpg

Enjoy / hope you enjoyed your break ;)

• RMweb Premium

I used to work for Robson Green's cousin years ago, a wonderful girl, one of the nicest people I have even met.  Take a bow, Wendy! (I spare the reveal of her married name!).

Hal, I wasn't in the blue light team, I was the office manager of our Manx equivalent of a young offenders team!  Thus plenty of young ones taking things they shouldn't that I took on a little ride to Court.  We're tough on drugs here.

I'm sure you are correct about there being more castles in Northumberland than any other county.  It's our little northern secret.

• RMweb Gold

... with more Castles per square mile than anywhere else in the UK.'Not sure if that's true

It's not... Northumberland has more Castles than any other county in England, with 70 at a rate of 27.7 sq miles per castle. The whole country of Wales has over 600 castles at a rate of 13.4 sq miles per castle... more than twice the density, and individual counties in Wales will be higher still. Of course, if you look at modern day authorities, rather than just traditional counties, then Tower Hamlets has quite a high density... under 8 sq miles and one castle... the Tower of London :)

Having said that Northumberland is one of the most beautiful places in the UK (not just England) and is well worth visiting for a lot of things, including the castles, so I hope you have a wonderful break there. you deserve it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived