I was hoping you would be back, Hal. After all, the historical Hal o' the Wynd (you do know that he was a real person?) was a bonny fighter,too, in his own way. I'm glad that you and Joan can still cheer each other up, but If you do start to feel down again, you know where to find plenty of sympathetic ears.

I was knocked out by your painting of H.M.S. Penelope, by the way. One of my favourite C S Forester novels is "The Ship", the action of which he based on the Second Battle of Sirte. As CSF sailed with the Royal and US Navies to gather material for his morale-bolstering WWII stories, his work was really authentic. The cover of the Penguin paperback I had until it fell apart after countless readings had a photo of "Penelope" taken after she'd been attacked by Axis aircraft. As "the plating of which the ship was constructed was hardly thicker than paper", it was easy to see why she was nicknamed "H.M.S. Pepperpot"...

I was hoping you would be back, Hal. After all, the historical Hal o' the Wynd (you do know that he was a real person?) was a bonny fighter,too, in his own way. I'm glad that you and Joan can still cheer each other up, but If you do start to feel down again, you know where to find plenty of sympathetic ears.

I was knocked out by your painting of H.M.S. Penelope, by the way. One of my favourite C S Forester novels is "The Ship", the action of which he based on the Second Battle of Sirte. As CSF sailed with the Royal and US Navies to gather material for his morale-bolstering WWII stories, his work was really authentic. The cover of the Penguin paperback I had until it fell apart after countless readings had a photo of "Penelope" taken after she'd been attacked by Axis aircraft. As "the plating of which the ship was constructed was hardly thicker than paper", it was easy to see why she was nicknamed "H.M.S. Pepperpot"...

post-21358-0-56796500-1421996206.jpg

Em.. Gordon...

- it's HMS Cleopatra. It was taken over by Admiral Vyan after his last ship was destroyed. The Cleopatra had just returned from the North Atlantic, hence its filthy state and Atlantic camouflage. The latter was a major breakthrough in my research as it allowed an image which made the Cleo different from the other Dido class light cruisers which were in Mediterranean paint. 

I was fairly well paid for the painting, but the research alone, to get all the *details correct, took nearly two years, and many sketches were submitted till they accepted the last one. To them - and to me - such a picture is an historical document and must be right, even to the message shown in the **flags. (*every time they entered port some new fixtures were added.)

Happy days! But sadly, it was Joan's deteriorating condition that stopped me accepting any further commissions. :)

I haven't read the novel but I must do so. It's obviously made a great impression on you!. :D

Thanks again,

Hal

** flags allowed for radio silence, hence: "fall in line astern, make smoke and follow Papa.* From this smoke-screen the destroyers  shot out and terrified the Italians back to port where they stayed for the rest of the war.

EDIT: I've taken the liberty of re-posting my painting as unfamiliar folk might not make the connection. And also because I'm an egotistical b#stard!

BTW Churchill said this was the most decisive sea battle since Trafalgar

I met some of the surviving guys. A light shell hit Cleo's bridge and a number of men died. Interestingly Cleo's AA turrets were manned, alternatively, in each gun-turret, by Sailors and Marines and they tried to out do each other in how fast they could fire the guns. An embedded London journalist said, " due to the heat, the paint was shedding from the gun barrels like skin off a snake." These guns fired only five miles and were just 5". The Italian Capital ships 15" guns fired  well over fifteen miles, so it took some balls for  Admiral "Gunner" Vyan to take his ships so close. The weather was on his side, though, and the smoke lay thick.

The best compliment I received was from ex-Cleo matelot as he gazed at the original. After looking for a while he said, "I can feckin hear it!" Another lovely comment was from the widow of a matelot who bought one of my limited edition prints. She wrote to me saying, "at last I can see what he'd been talking about over the years. Now I understand what he went through." I'll never get that from railway-modelling. lol ;)

Em.. Gordon...

- it's HMS Cleopatra. It was taken over by Admiral Vyan after his last ship was destroyed. The Cleopatra had just returned from the North Atlantic, hence its filthy state and Atlantic camouflage. The latter was a major breakthrough in my research as it allowed an image which made the Cleo different from the other Dido class light cruisers which were in Mediterranean paint. 

I was fairly well paid for the painting, but the research alone, to get all the *details correct, took nearly two years, and many sketches were submitted till they accepted the last one. To them - and to me - such a picture is an historical document and must be right, even to the message shown in the **flags. (*every time they entered port some new fixtures were added.)

Happy days! But sadly, it was Joan's deteriorating condition that stopped me accepting any further commissions. :)

I haven't read the novel but I must do so. It's obviously made a great impression on you!. :D

Thanks again,

Hal

** arranged for radio silence, "fall in line astern, make smoke and follow Papa.* From this smoke-screen the destroyers  shot out and terrified the Italians back to port where they stayed for the rest of the war.

Thanks for the polite correction and the interesting background info on the painting, Hal. I really should have checked my facts before I posted. "Penelope" was the Arethusa class cruiser Forester sailed in and whose officers and ship's company he dedicated his novel to.

The other way of looking at things that actively participating on the forum is "modelling".  I don't say this without some data.  About 5 years (make that 10 allowing for age time shift) RM did a survey of mag readers and found that about 20% were modellers without layouts.  They simply modelled by reading.  So I suggest you are doing something creative by participation in the forum and following others.

Hi Tony,

Delighted to see you're hanging on in here. Can I dare to make a suggestion? You have obviously spent quite a bit of time on RMWeb over the last few weeks and, where you have derived pleasure from that, then that has obviously been of benefit to you. And at the end of the day we all variously enjoy the lively banter, sharing our hobby with virtual mates, etc that participation on RMWeb brings.

Can you bring yourself to spend 30mins less on RMWeb and spend that 30mins instead on your layout over the next week (say?) Why not just move your stock around and take a couple of different pix for now so we can admire more of the work that has already been done? Then see what leads on from there?

I love browsing around on RMWeb as much as the next fella but there are times when I have to say to myself - no! Shut the lid on that damn computer and go and do some modellin' :rtfm: .

Hope you take this in the spirit it is intended. ;)

Best wishes,

Graham

Graham, you've hit the nail on the head!

I complain about lack of time but every spare moment I'm into my studio, PC on, browsing furiously. It's an escape, and a bit too easy. 

The support of you guys has given me such a lift, and my good mood rubs off on her Ladyship. I tell her how everyone is asking after her and it makes her feel much better - no longer alone, both of us. :)

Anyway, miracles do happen: - 

I am cutting down on the browsing, Unfortunately, it means not following some of the Topics I love in the appropriate fashion. But, believe it or not, I have altered my prideful mindset and have started on something simple which is coming along quite quickly. When it's done I'll share it in sequence. Sadly, I've found I'm not one of those people who can post while they are doing things. It would make me too tense - too driven - then I'd be frustrated, not good!

So it'll appear when it does so. I'm looking forward to posting it. It's nothing exciting but progress nevertheless. :D

Thanks Graham - Regards to you all.

Hal

Graham, you've hit the nail on the head!

I complain about lack of time but every spare moment I'm into my studio, PC on, browsing furiously. It's an escape, and a bit too easy. 

The support of you guys has given me such a lift, and my good mood rubs off on her Ladyship. I tell her how everyone is asking after her and it makes her feel much better - no longer alone, both of us. :)

Anyway, miracles do happen: - 

I am cutting down on the browsing, Unfortunately, it means not following some of the Topics I love in the appropriate fashion. But, believe it or not, I have altered my prideful mindset and have started on something simple which is coming along quite quickly. When it's done I'll share it in sequence. Sadly, I've found I'm not one of those people who can post while they are doing things. It would make me too tense - too driven - then I'd be frustrated, not good!

So it'll appear when it does so. I'm looking forward to posting it. It's nothing exciting but progress nevertheless. :D

Thanks Graham - Regards to you all.

Hal

You will be, 'tween 0945 and approx, 1300hrs today, if you have not noticed the pink banner, at the top of the page.......... :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I am cutting down on the browsing, Unfortunately, it means not following some of the Topics I love in the appropriate fashion.

I don't have as much time as I want,  but thats just the usual working day. I found I was trying to catch up on too many topics and running out of time. I now find I log on, hit "View New Content" and quickly skim through the topics to see whats new then if I have enough time I can take a bit longer over some. 

It's a bit of a happy medium for me and seems to work ok, if you miss something it soons comes round again and it's easy to catch up.

Also like you I tend to do a task and then post, if I did it as it went along then it would probably be the most boring topic on here. . . 12 months of endless trackbuilding and laying. . . yawn. . .

Just do what makes you feel good and picks you up.  Many years ago (20+?) I had a customer who had depression (ex Police of 30 years had a nervous breakdown) I'd never seen it before and at first found it difficult to understand. After a while we found what to say and what not to say and he used to say that he felt like he was on a downwards spiral, Like you he realised that he had to change (just a few things) and very soon he would say "going back up now". He conquered it and has a good life and we keep in touch (must of actually done a good job!) and I spoke to him a couple of days ago.

I remember he used to treat his depression as a seperate identity, he found it easier to treat it as a stranger rather than let it take over. He said it was difficult at first but he sensed when it was looming and would fight against it. . .does that make sense to you ?

Just do what makes you feel good and picks you up.  Many years ago (20+?) I had a customer who had depression (ex Police of 30 years had a nervous breakdown) I'd never seen it before and at first found it difficult to understand. After a while we found what to say and what not to say and he used to say that he felt like he was on a downwards spiral, Like you he realised that he had to change (just a few things) and very soon he would say "going back up now". He conquered it and has a good life and we keep in touch (must of actually done a good job!) and I spoke to him a couple of days ago.

I remember he used to treat his depression as a seperate identity, he found it easier to treat it as a stranger rather than let it take over. He said it was difficult at first but he sensed when it was looming and would fight against it. . .does that make sense to you ?

This made me think about Winston Churchill's struggles with his "black dog" as he termed his bouts of depression. Others have used the metaphor - Samuel Johnson and Walter Scott, for instance - and at least one website offering advice on dealing with depression suggests visualising what steps could be taken to deal with a threatening dog as a way of encouraging logic and method in at least alleviating the illness.

I'VE JUST LOST MY LAST LENGTHY POST :O  :O  :O (I TYPE VERY SLOWLY AND TAKE FOREVER...) I can't remember how to get the "saved" text as I was shown by Eastwood Town. (I'm PC Thick) But the point is, I must learn to remember to draft in WORD. I've done it several times and apart from anything else it saves all your posts in order.

I don't know if I'll get back tonight. :(

So, till L8r (thats the one textual acronym(?) I've remembered and love!) - but thanks to you wonderful people once again. :D

Hal 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Hal.

I spend too much time on here also, at the moment - you are aware of one of the personal reasons, but also the weather keeps me out of the garage, and I'm not allowed to model (ie make a terrible mess) in the house as it's too small - we downsized drastically when we came here, this is our retirement bungalow.  There's no shame in a bit of armchair modelling, but the best therapy for me is running a train!

Best wishes to you and Joan (my mum's name too!)

N

Hi Hal.

I spend too much time on here also, at the moment - you are aware of one of the personal reasons, but also the weather keeps me out of the garage, and I'm not allowed to model (ie make a terrible mess) in the house as it's too small - we downsized drastically when we came here, this is our retirement bungalow.  There's no shame in a bit of armchair modelling, but the best therapy for me is running a train!

Best wishes to you and Joan (my mum's name too!)

N

Thanks,

And by all means show  your US stuff - which is to a high degree of finish already - or Garden Layout pics, or anything else you are involved in, Neil. This thread is elastic! ;)

Hal

[

I don't have as much time as I want,  but thats just the usual working day. I found I was trying to catch up on too many topics and running out of time. I now find I log on, hit "View New Content" and quickly skim through the topics to see whats new then if I have enough time I can take a bit longer over some. 

It's a bit of a happy medium for me and seems to work ok, if you miss something it soons comes round again and it's easy to catch up.

Also like you I tend to do a task and then post, if I did it as it went along then it would probably be the most boring topic on here. . . 12 months of endless trackbuilding and laying. . . yawn. . .

Drafted in Word. We'll see what the word template does on RMweb.

Thanks, Chris (DaveJ)

I must admit I’ve never used the New Content. My browser takes me to the last post I’ve read and I go on from there. But I must try it.

And I agree with you about the boring things. Some people do post  a lot about, say EM track laying, and whilst it may be riveting to some, it bores my Peco head to tears.

Now we come to Depression, about which I’ve very strong views.

Dave, please go to my Hissy Fit Magna (#133) and read it again. Think about it, and ask yourself, “Would I be depressed if this was my daily life, 24/7/365...

To me there are two basic sorts of Depression: - the first has no obvious cause; the second  definitely does.

So, NO OBVIOUS CAUSE.

I feel heartily sorry for the huge number of Clinically Depressed people who seem to live decent enough lives, have jobs, reasonable income, etc, etc, but they become Clinically Depressed. How the hell do you manage that! Robin Williams had everything the material world could give him, yet he hung himself... (I know, drugs and alcoholism might have played a part, too) I feel the greatest of sympathy for these people. They have no negative focus upon which to organise their reaction.

2nd AN OBVIOUS CAUSE

This, in my case, is daily and is unlikely to improve in medical terms this side of the grave.

Joan is very ill, chronically.

I am ill, chronically.

Whatever my condition, I HAVE to CARE for her.

As my former GP used to say, with a sad smile, “you'd be mad not to be mad.” In other words, given certain circumstances, you’d have to be clinically insane, or a pervert to enjoy cleaning up your loved one’s sh1t around the clock; and to watch her sobbing her heart out while you do it...

I’m not ashamed of my Depression. I am positive by nature and always bounce back.

This last Hissy Fit, though, is different. I’m going to finalise the whole conversation with this. Be prepared for Too Much Information. Look away if you feel nervous. But, given the circumstances, I don't think I’ve any choice. So, to clarify what I hinted at in #133: - 

Several years ago, whilst Joan was still able to stand and walk short distances, there was a program on TV about Euthanasia and the Scandinavian Option. On the program was a young woman, her head just visible, in her bed. She was choking to death, very, very slowly. She had MS. This is a common way to die amongst MS sufferers. Joan blanched as she was watching this. Later, she said, “you’ll never let that happen to me, will you,” “Of course not,” I replied. “Promise?” She looked me in the eyes. “I promise” I said.

This Christmas she raised this issue. She was in too much daily discomfort, anyway, and my ill health (and the notion I might not be there for her) has her terrified of the future. She wants’ to end it now.. and who do you think she expects to put her out of her misery... (depressing?)

She doesn't come up with this every day. When she does I chuckle, poke her in the ribs, and say, “not today pet, I’m too busy!”  :jester: 

As I've already said in #133 the necessary people are aware of it. And some days I wish I had the balls. But I haven't and never(?) will.

I’m familiar with my depression, it’s real, predictable, and most of the time I wear a Smiley Mask, for her and for my own benefit. Occasionally it drops off, but never for very long. I really would have quit RMweb but – at the moment – I’m glad I didn’t. I would never have imagined the enormous support I've received. I thought I'd be dismissed with disgust. I'll forever be indebted to you all.

But this conversation should end, now. ;) As Sasquatch said a few days ago, get the wobbler over and talk trains. (I paraphrase)

So, I'm going to end with a picture of something I never thought I’d be a fan of, a blue diesel. Having left Newcastle Central for the north, it is leaving Manors on its way to Heaton Junction. In my parallel universe it goes through Scotsward Road first. This means that Heaton Station itself will disappear. Remember, in 1924, in the real world the LNER proposed  a four-track main as far as Forest Hall. It didn't happen.

post-21358-0-47045500-1421964492_thumb.jpg

On my layout it did! :D :jester:

Indebted forever,

Hal

The Word doc was a problem so I just pasted it in.

EDIT. I've been trying contact Trevor Ermel via David Hey but I can't get any response. I think Mr Hey is pestered to death by the likes of us. Trevor shows his copyright, but not all Hey's photographers do... :(

EDIT. I fear I've gone a step too far, but now you really know me, and the thousands of others who are in the same sorry boat every day. My position is as common as muck, living with someone who'd rather not be around anymore )

EDIT. I rose in the middle of the night to delete the over graphical piece that is central to this post. I read it again, and - surprisingly - I didn't. I think it's because writing it down it becomes melodramatic, while - as I mention just above - there are an astonishing number of people who share such  a life-style. In fact most of the elderly, when one partner becomes very sick, will feel this daily plea in the eyes of their loved one. So it's nothing special. Many, other than me, will experience this heart-tugging emotion before they die. I've just been there earlier than most.

EDIT I'm going to ask you to say if certain aspects of this post go too far, in which case I'll delete that part.

But Joan... Whatever am I going to do to raise her spirits...

C'est la vie. 

The other way of looking at things that actively participating on the forum is "modelling".  I don't say this without some data.  About 5 years (make that 10 allowing for age time shift) RM did a survey of mag readers and found that about 20% were modellers without layouts.  They simply modelled by reading.  So I suggest you are doing something creative by participation in the forum and following others.

Jim,

I'm so sorry, in all my selfish literary broth I nearly missed your important post!

It's interesting. As it happened, I lurked on RMweb without being a member for many years. So long as you take note of where layouts are on the list you can do a surprising amount, including downloading pictures. 

I posted my  Cleo painting to show who I was - my identity. That is, a modestly successful professional artist with an ego the size of the known universe. I planned to start a thread when i'd completed at least part of the layout to a "satisfactory fashion," in other words, jaw-dropping stuff that folk went nuts about and BRM pestered me to be allowed to show my layout! LOL  :jester:

Pathetic! And pride comes before many, daily falls.

It wasn't going to happen. If I'd had the sense to start twenty-years ago, when I had the time to spend hours on tiny details (like my Warhammer Dark Elves in an earlier post) then, things might have been different.

Anyway, I posted what I have done - which is a lot worse than the carefully contrived heading picture shows.

I could not go on lurking any longer. I have to make stuff. And I've started. Very ordinary stuff that anyone could copy if they so wished.

Hal

Thanks for the polite correction and the interesting background info on the painting, Hal. I really should have checked my facts before I posted. "Penelope" was the Arethusa class cruiser Forester sailed in and whose officers and ship's company he dedicated his novel to.

Gordon, I've added a little more to #153. You may find it interesting. :)

Hal

I could not go on lurking any longer. I have to make stuff. And I've started. Very ordinary stuff that anyone could copy if they so wished.

Hal

Look forward to seeing it, whatever it is (but take as long as you need). And don't forget to show it to Joan and let us know what she thinks of it? ;)

Hal, if you can find the time, all is revealed at:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69116-the-leodest-larivane-light-railway/

Some photos of the fleet in action.

I've already had a swift look. I'll return to it later, for sure. I should have checked out your Topics! :blush:

I really like looking at live-steam locos. I can certainly understand how they fulfill all your needs and leave other types of model in the shade. :)

Cheers, Neil,

Hal.

Look forward to seeing it, whatever it is (but take as long as you need). And don't forget to show it to Joan and let us know what she thinks of it? ;)

Actually, I'm wonderfully relaxed about it. This is a result of you guys being so supportive. The tension of having to achieve" the best" ( that which drove my professional art work) has absolutely gone. And I will show Joan. She has much appreciated the responses I've read out to her. When I told her my Topic was *HOT* and I'd had about 4,600 views, she was really tickled. She knows my layout is my escape - my life-line - and she tries not to bother me if I'm doing something that cannot easily be stopped. Things are much better, generally, but I don't kid myself that her underlying fear has gone away, I need professional advice on this.

Hal.

• RMweb Premium

Hal.

I gave you a like for post 166 for two reasons. First because of your open willingness to share this subject shows friendship. A trouble shared is a trouble halved mate!

Second for that very atmospheric picture of the Deltic which makes me want to watch "Get Carter"!!  My head is full of that weird music now. (Thanks).

Regards Shaun.

PS. Have had my own problems with big black dogs in the past. If I ever get a sniff of that devil (which happens from time to time) I takes lots of vitamin D and go do something different, like climb a mountain. Helps put things back into perspective.

Archived