Did you call Black Fives "Mickies"?

Focalplane

As an avid trainspotter in the late 1950s around the Midlands, I was a great fan of Stanier's ubiquitous Black 5, the mixed traffic workhorse of the LMS, LMR.  As I remember, we used to call them Mickies around Birmingham, but I never see this nickname in print these days.  This may have been a local "dialect" in spotter talk.  Not everyone called 3F tank engines "Jinties", for example, as they were also known as "Dobbins" in some quite restricted geographic areas.

And I am not, by the way, confusing the Black 5 with those 2MT "Micky Mouse" locomotives!

I remember the term 'Mickey' being used for the Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0, and the 2-6-2T being a Mickey Tank. Black 5s were 'Blackies' and Stanier 8Fs were 'Consols' 

My mate from Kettering always called 8Fs; four-eight-freights

Which was a new one for me, but in Lincs we hardly saw any Black 5s so a nickname was not necessary as we were too busy jumping up and down with joy at seeing one.

Wow, I had been reluctant to post this question, thinking I may have dreamed up the Mickey nickname while asleep!  Yes, it does seem to be a Midlands plus south Lancashire regional nickname, as suggested by all these replies.  And definitely pronounced MICK'ey down in Birmingham and Tamworth.  Thank you all for your recollections.

The area I referred to for Dobbins was actually Nuneaton.

They were always Black Fives or, more usually, Black 'uns to me. But then I was never a spotter, but did spend as much time as possible with enginemen, and in the early 1970s joined BR as a guard at Edge Hill. Steam was not long gone then and still came up in conversation, and they were always Black 'uns to the men.

Around Chesterfield we knew them as Blackies. Some footplate crews called them " black uns" as opposed to "red uns" which was a reference to the Jubilees.

8fs were known simply as 8 freights. I'm sure we used to call the 4fs coffee pots but don't know why.

Pete

I never heard the name 'Mickey' used in Scotland, but I knew Black 5s were called that in northwest England.

And Andy G (uax6), around Glasgow, they weren't known as 'Hikers' either. I thought that was a Highland name for them.

Wigan spotter speak

Mickeys            Black 5

Black 8             Black 8

Mickey Mouse  LMS 2MT 2-6-0

Coffee Pot        LMS 4F 0-6-0, or sometimes a Jinty (can't remember the name Jinty used much)

Semi                 Duchess Pacific - all of em (rounded front smoke box or not !!!) - virtually all gone when I started spotting

Jub                   Jubilee 4-6-0

Scot                  Royal Scot 4-6-0

Pat                    Patriot 4-6-0 (again virtually all gone)

Crab                  LMS 2-6-0

Nine Two'er      9F 2-10-0

Brit                    Britannia 4-6-2 Allways my favourite loco.

Standard           All other BR standard locos

Dub Dee            WD 2-8-0

6'er                    Any eastern region loco (beginning with a 6) - rare in steam at Wigan though usually a B1 or so in the scrapyard at ince

Big D                 EE Type 4 (Class 40)

Brush 4             Class 47

Sulzer                Class 24/25

Bug Box             All DMU's

D400'er              Class 50

Peak                  Class 44/45/46 - We had to get up early to see the daily Glasgow-Liverpool sleeper - peak hauled usually.

We had a few rude names for diesel shunters (both ex LMS & BR types) - I won't print them here !!

Grand days, see a lot of the above on my photo site below, especially Brits storming thru Wigan

Happy new year,

Brit15

I thought 'Hikers' were the LNER B12s with the feed water heaters?

I've heard the name applied to both classes, Mark. I've definitely seen Black 5s referred to as 'Hikers' in articles on ex-Highland Railway lines.

Wigan spotter speak

Semi                 Duchess Pacific - all of em (rounded front smoke box or not !!!)

Thank you! The use of 'Semi' for only those with cutdown smokeboxes is IMO something that has developed only since the class was withdrawn from BR service. The obvious question to people using the name only for engines with cutdown smokeboxes is "What did you call those with circular smoke boxes and/or what did you call the whole class once all the cutdown smoke boxes had been replaced?".

(Sorry - a particular annoyance of mine, for no really rational reason.)

Wigan spotter speak

Mickeys Black 5

Black 8 Black 8

Mickey Mouse LMS 2MT 2-6-0

Coffee Pot LMS 4F 0-6-0, or sometimes a Jinty (can't remember the name Jinty used much)

Semi Duchess Pacific - all of em (rounded front smoke box or not !!!) - virtually all gone when I started spotting

Jub Jubilee 4-6-0

Scot Royal Scot 4-6-0

Pat Patriot 4-6-0 (again virtually all gone)

Crab LMS 2-6-0

Nine Two'er 9F 2-10-0

Brit Britannia 4-6-2 Allways my favourite loco.

Standard All other BR standard locos

Dub Dee WD 2-8-0

6'er Any eastern region loco (beginning with a 6) - rare in steam at Wigan though usually a B1 or so in the scrapyard at ince

Big D EE Type 4 (Class 40)

Brush 4 Class 47

Sulzer Class 24/25

Bug Box All DMU's

D400'er Class 50

Peak Class 44/45/46 - We had to get up early to see the daily Glasgow-Liverpool sleeper - peak hauled usually.

We had a few rude names for diesel shunters (both ex LMS & BR types) - I won't print them here !!

Grand days, see a lot of the above on my photo site below, especially Brits storming thru Wigan

Happy new year,

Brit15

Love the way you referred to anything eastern as a 6'er.....made me smile.

I did as well......being a Crewe lad.

Black 5's were always Mickeys.

Love this thread - it's brought the post-war steam spotting years alive in a way no number of books or videos ever could.  

Having properly missed it by the best part of a generation, I'd never previously encountered the equivalent of late seventies platform-end banter.

As a train spotter from the late fifties based in Smethwick, just north of Birmingham, I only ever recall Black 5's being called 'Blackies. The only times I ever recall hearing them referred to as 'Mickies' was if you were talking to spotters from the East Midlands.

Whilst were on the subject of Black 5's, I remember spending a day spotting at  Crewe on a summer Saturday in 1960, when every train coming off or going on to the North Wales coast line was pulled by a Black 5 and I remember saying to one of my mates "if I see another Black 5 I'll scream!" Had I have realised at the time what their ultimate fate was to be I would never have uttered those words. Incidentally I saw 836 of the 842 in the class. They were truly one of the greats of the steam era.

Archived