Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

My mate the plasterer would say "Tha'rt buildin' wi' plaster - its thicker than't bricks siddy". Our kitchen floor has started to tilt to the north-east.

"Mis-tint Sir? Oh you mean our unique custom mixed genuine Victorian recipe that matches Mr Portillo's jacket ..."

The fell is larger than I have available for my entire layout, have you thought about subletting? I could build an nice branch terminus up there. I have my own dynamite (but don't tell the wife).

Edited by HeeleyBridge

Yes Mike, the grassing and landscaping process seems to acquire a life of its own!

I need to stock-up with scatters and fibres. I've sufficient flock for a reasonable area, but the Fell is just a crazy size - and I built it! Just the first couple of base coats of scatter material will clear me out....

.... oh well!

Anyway, that's a little while off!

Jeff

Jeff, have a look on the Hornby site, they often have their scatter range or a good selection of it on special offer for about 1/3 the normal price! Pretty good stuff too, you can see it all over Dent!

Evening Jeff,

Apologies to you and everyone who has suffered a rash of ratings! I've suffered some serious health issues since New Year's Eve, and some pretty bad news on Thursday. There is a long post about this in Early Risers, and I put a reference to it in Lunesrwe Asylum. I'm not sure how long you intend to be in Cumbria but it's good to be looking in here again for 'cheering up' purposes - glad the good natured banter is as high quality as usual! Look forward to the next phase with interest.

Hope dad is in good shape when you return my friend,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jock.

Apologies for the length of time it's taken for my reply. Still at dad's - he doesn't have internet and so I use the phone intermittently.

As for all the readers on here, I wish you all the very best. I should be back in the Bunker on Tuesday so I'll try to provide further entertainment!!

Take care, mate.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: Back home, been in the Bunker to put the heating on and inspect the Fell.

I've had a look at where I'll be putting the first sections of walling (in a few weeks time) and I'll probably be out there later with the first batches on filler being applied to the mod-roc. A week out of the Bunker builds the scenery-creating appetite!

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Just to show that I HAVE done something today, and the first pic for ages, here's the result of an hour of applying filler onto mod-roc in the vicinity of the viaduct.

The general position of the pathway through the viaduct arch and, higher up, the wall leading from the end of the viaduct, can be seen (flatter areas). Even this (relatively) small area used over 3kg (dry mass) of filler...

post-13778-0-94315000-1453749156_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Just for reference, this is the kind of image I've been using to base viaduct-area features on. Arten Gill viaduct, near Dent, including the pathway through the arch.

Apologies if I've infringed copyright....

post-13778-0-12353300-1453761766.jpg

Jeff

• Like 15

Yes, the moment I saw the stock undercrossing at 1:00, I knew it would be worth posting

Whilst I despise drones (I think they will become the bane of our outdoor existence as they get cheaper and more amateurs use them irresponsibly), this one was very well shot. Glad you enjoyed it.

Scott

• RMweb Premium

A few pics to show today's plaster work. About 60% of the main Fell area is now covered. Hoping to paint the plaster at the weekend, so you may be able to see it!

Anyway, please make do with this batch for the moment!

post-13778-0-69352100-1453829719_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-20395300-1453829723_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-54132300-1453829727_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-87593200-1453829732_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Moving apace now - very impressive!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Morning Jock.

Just about to head out to the Bunker for the first plaster mix of today. It's nice to see a more Fell-like shape emerge as the plaster smooths out the bumpiness of the mod-roc/insulation board base. I occasionally look at the "thing" and wonder what on Earth made me want such a structure on the layout. If nothing else, it keeps draughts away from the operating well!!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the South Coast of England will have no danger of Flooding now,

It'll be 100ft above water with all that weight in the North. hahhahha

Looking good though Jeff.

Yet more weight to be applied shortly, Andy. I'm looking forward to painting the plaster to reduce the glare in the Bunker and help to give a better idea of the overall appearance.

You'll no doubt be wanting to see some of the "green stuff" in the near future?

Keep up the whirlwind work on Pencarne!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Jeff, you're up early.

When you got going on KL2 I was beginning to question your sanity with all the over engineering of the sub structure but know I get it mate!

Mind you looking at those pictures of that plaster masterpiece only brings to mind the film Close Encounters. You had better get some grass on it before word gets out and the men in white coats come to visit.

Sanity intact or not, it takes some thinking outside of the box to make an impression and you sure have! Great modeling on a grand scale Jeff :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:  

Good god that's a lot of plaster ,this definitely is a railway in the landscape

Love the idea of if you took a picture from the front of the layout across the station and goods yard at near ground level you'll just get the colossus fell as your 3d back scene

Lovely work

Brian

Edited by bri.s

• RMweb Premium

Shaun, Brian. Thanks for your very kind comments.

I have to admit that the Fell is larger in reality than I envisaged it would be. Not a problem as far as fitting it into the plan - it went where it was meant to. But certainly a "materials" problem....

But hey, it's one of the main characteristics of the layout. So it costs what it costs and it uses what it uses.... Simples?

And Brian - I look forward to taking some interesting photos from both access corners - across the goods yard and across the station buildings - to the Fell beyond.

Jeff

ps. just working on the embankment at the RHS of the viaduct (plaster etc). Pics later.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A couple of photos to show what's been going on today.

First, a general view in the direction of the viaduct. There is now a piece of 4mm ply behind the viaduct - this is held in place by 3 screws and easily removable for painting.... provided I don't do the stream part. So the relevant backscene - mostly sky - will be fitted sometime in the next 6 months!!

post-13778-0-09337500-1453994852_thumb.jpg

I've plastered/fillered the back of the embankment. Here's a view across the viaduct. All is now set and ready for painting.

post-13778-0-72684400-1453994855_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I don't know how much room you have in that corner, but any chance of bending the ply into a curve so you don't have a right-angled corner in the sky?

Hi Jonathan.

It's not really possible to bend the sheet to meet the one that runs behind the majority of the Fell as there's the support structure for the tunnel area in the way. And it's now covered with rather a lot of insulation board/mod-roc and plaster. Just one of those compromises, I'm afraid.

Jeff

Looking really good Jeff. Just waiting for the 2016 Luneshire Winter Olympics to begin. I like ski jumping.

You should post video of the painting of the fell, It could rival the Forth bridge but will look great when completed. Are the walls going to be built stone by stone again or by some more sane less tedious method?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dave, I'm afraid the wall-building insanity will be even greater than last time. I've done a bit of research into the specification of Lakeland stone-walling and will be using more types of stone (DAS) pieces than last time....the four from the last lunatic binge and at least another four to allow for variable width of the wall.

Details of any new plastikard jig are still to be worked out.

I'm also going to try a new (for me) method of fencing. Will reveal all at the time if it turns out OK!

And then there's the rock faces around the tunnel mouth/approaches....

Fun hobby, eh?

Jeff

• Like 3