Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Coming on a treat Jeff.

Don

Thanks Don. 

I've done a bit more work this afternoon. Most of the main section of Fell is now plastered and painted. I'll post another pic or two later.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Scott, the brown emulsion in question is under the B&Q brand and is called:

Chocolate Torte

Hope that helps.

I think it's a good base colour - though 99% of it will be covered once the vegetation "sprouts"!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Don. 

I've done a bit more work this afternoon. Most of the main section of Fell is now plastered and painted. I'll post another pic or two later.

Jeff

The fell needs to look big witness any photos of the S&C the landscape dominates the trains.

Don

Hi Jeff,

Its been bugging me for days, your fell reminded me of something then all of a sudden I could see it "Jabba the Hutt" lying down of course. :jester:

Looking good all the same mate, its going to dwarf the trains just like the real thing!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Its been bugging me for days, your fell reminded me of something then all of a sudden I could see it "Jabba the Hutt" lying down of course. :jester:

Looking good all the same mate, its going to dwarf the trains just like the real thing!

Jabba the Hut?!!

Mike, have you been spraying locos with solvents today and forgotten to use your spraying booth?!!  :O  :O  :O

Seriously, the Fell height comes in at just over 200 feet (to scale!), so I hope the "dwarfing effect" is sufficient. And to think, I've used less than half the plaster this time compared to KL.

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

What a difference a bit of base colour makes,really coming along now!

You wont know what to do with yourself when its finished! Ha!

Although i know a layout is never really 100% finished

Cheers

Ben

Ben, the shocking thing is - or is it a good thing (??) - the creation of the Fell is just the start....

Stone walls, vegetation, rock outcrops, tunnel portal, road underbridge, platforms.....

OK, I'm giving up! (NOT really)

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

It's difficult for me to express quite what I mean here, but looking at the last set of photos, and the second one in particular, makes me wonder if you could grade the colouration in such a way as to leave the most distant peaks at about the colour they are now.

If you look at real photos, then the distant tops of the fell (when not obscured by cloud) do appear more brown or maybe even slightly purple than anything else, and you would only see lighter greens and other colours in the immediate foreground.

This sort of shows what I mean:

post-17302-0-95595700-1454289730_thumb.jpg

But I'm sure you have your own photos that are more representative.

Al.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

It's difficult for me to express quite what I mean here, but looking at the last set of photos, and the second one in particular, makes me wonder if you could grade the colouration in such a way as to leave the most distant peaks at about the colour they are now.

If you look at real photos, then the distant tops of the fell (when not obscured by cloud) do appear more brown or maybe even slightly purple than anything else, and you would only see lighter greens and other colours in the immediate foreground.

This sort of shows what I mean:

attachicon.gifNwSettleCarlisleWideValley-F731.jpg

But I'm sure you have your own photos that are more representative.

Al.

That's actually not too difficult to achieve - good idea. The base covering of "fine turf" can be adjusted to a more "earthy" colour at the top, with gradation down the slope. I tried this on KL - NOT that you'd notice any difference!!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Build  middle walls to 3mm scale and top ones to 2mm scales as well for perspective.

Hi Andy.

That's a good suggestion, and I might slightly reduce the height and width of the walls as they ascend the slope. It'd probably look ok from the operating well, but there are numerous side-view vantage points where the shrinking wall might look a bit odd.

Jeff

• Like 3

I done the perspective wall thing on Dent, in front of the tracks the walls show quite visible stones and behind the tracks its more blended and smaller in height, certainly looks right to me.

You may have to wait till the Spring to populate the fell with any sheep, I tried Dart Castings this morning and they are 'temporarily out of stock' so the Spring should bring forth a fell full of sheep for sale eh!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The main Fell area is now "completely" plastered - the bits I can reach (which means 99% of the area). It's also covered in a first coat of paint.

I've done a bit of plaster work to the rear of the viaduct and on the approach to where the tunnel portal will fit. Maybe put another brown portrait or two on here later.

Subject to re-stocking with another bag of Plaster of Paris, I'll continue the plaster work across the lift-out and overbridge.

A suitable tunnel portal needs to be chosen. I used Blea Moor North last time - I still have the portal - so we'll see what I come up with.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for the lack of "running trains", in comparison to my other esteemed S&C layout-friends. You'll have to wait a while for trains, scenery, sheep and proper atmosphere.

A mixed bag here, starting with something that's nothing to do with the S&C: the view from my study just after the sun had set. Threatening clouds and a wind gusting to around 60mph...

a GOOD day on the S&C!!....

post-13778-0-62610000-1454351508_thumb.jpg

Then we have 3 views of the art-of-the-state in the Bunker at the mo:

post-13778-0-94058300-1454351513_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-61850200-1454351517_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-07206700-1454351521_thumb.jpg

And finally, the tunnel portal I'll construct will be based on Blea Moor South (I used the North portal last time). Why? It's typical S&C and comes ready-made with a rock-cutting entrance - I'll put a smaller version in. Here's a Googled pic. Hope it's not copyrighted! (I've a collection of pics of the portal, from Google, by Mark Harvey - unfortunately copyrighted, so can't post, but very useful for the build):

post-13778-0-76711500-1454351524_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Must admit, I'd had that portal in my mind since first seeing the photo of the blue diesel and rock face when I was building KL.

Not as "fussy" as the north portal with its water steps.

I'll probably draw out the dimensions tomorrow and get cracking. Need to check if I've a sheet of dressed stone.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just caught up with this - the fell looks amazing!

Morning Lee - it's been a while since you've been on here.

I'm quite pleased with the Fell, though some fine-tuning will be necessary once the walling starts to go in. I sometimes forget there's a fiddle yard behind it!

Stay tuned!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've plastered and painted the lift-out section, and that is currently drying.

I've also made a series of measurements on photos of the Blea Moor south tunnel portal and converted these into scale dimensions. The good news is that I have adequate supplies of 4mm ply, stone-effect plastikard, rodding and plain plastikard. So I'll start construction tomorrow.

There are practical constraints on building the portal - so don't expect a literal copy! I'm now looking forward to fixing it in place, hemming it in with some rock faces, completing the plastering in that area and running a loco through it. 

Here comes the chuffer train..... whooooo ooooooo!!!!  :senile:  :senile:

Jeff

• Like 5

Morning Lee - it's been a while since you've been on here.

I'm quite pleased with the Fell, though some fine-tuning will be necessary once the walling starts to go in. I sometimes forget there's a fiddle yard behind it!

Stay tuned!

Jeff

I've been following on and off (mostly off) for quite a while (in the background) I've been busy on other things and have sadly been neglecting the model railway scene. I'm excited to see your progress though. Can't wait for grass ;)

• Like 1