Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Update: Another 25kg bag of Paster of Paris arrived at lunchtime, so I've been messing around with that for the last couple of hours.

The tunnel portal will have to wait until tomorrow.....

Lee - there WILL be grass - eventually. Erm, rather a lot of it...

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've just chucked a bit of brown paint on today's plaster. It takes a good 90 minutes to "surface dry" - though the deeper, underlying plaster continues to dry out for at least a week.

I know how much some of you like your photos - and it makes the thread look nicer (!!!!!) - so I'll go into the Bunker around 9pm and take some pics.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That brooding fell looks excellent Jeff.

I especially like the third shot with the curving viaduct leading ones eye to the dramatic landscape beyond.

Almost sounded sensible there for a moment...... :senile:

You talk a lot of sense, Peter. I like the way you think things over and offer suggestions. They may not all be things I'd consider doing, but very useful nonetheless.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've done a bit of work on the overbridge cutting and fitted a small backscene board in the vicinity. While the filler is drying - and there'll be more plaster in an hour or so - I thought I'd draw up a mock-up of the tunnel portal in card.

It's a bit stupid to cut the damn thing in ply and then find it's too small. And yes, I have done that in the past.

Pics of the cutting this evening when dry and painted.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I like it Jeff, you are getting it just right. Wouldn't like to be out on that fell in a blizzard

Derek

Thank you kindly, Derek. Your comment has reminded me to build a sheep-shelter, like the one I had on KL.

If only I had another 4 feet of vertical elevation - I could have permanent snow coverage!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here are 3 pics of the overbridge cutting. Difficult to take as it's on the way out of the Bunker, partially hidden by the Fell. Partially in shadow - until I install the fiddle yard lighting - there's very poor depth of field on the current pics.

I have made the card portal cut-out. And yes, it's JUST adequate..... so I'll give it another 5% to be on the safe side. That's for tomorrow - maybe.

post-13778-0-24102200-1454621499_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-71148000-1454621502_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-85083900-1454621507_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 19

Evening Jeff,

Still on the sick list, and back to hospital tomorrow - just popped in to be cheered up, and I am thank you. I'm right with Peter K on the lovely way the viaduct draws the viewer in to that most impressive piece of landscape!

Be back soon I hope,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff,

Still on the sick list, and back to hospital tomorrow - just popped in to be cheered up, and I am thank you. I'm right with Peter K on the lovely way the viaduct draws the viewer in to that most impressive piece of landscape!

Be back soon I hope,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock.

Glad to be of service if I've raised your spirits a bit. All the best for today - hope to see you making further comments very soon!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hope all goes well for you today Jock, Jeff you need to get more done to keep Jock's mind occupied so grass by the weekend eh! (How's that Jock)

No grass, Mike - even I'm not that quick!

A few more pics, though. The portal size has now been established and tested with a coach passing to and fro. I've also added a bit more landscape in the corner behind the overbridge cutting. The rising hillside finishes off the area, I think.

post-13778-0-80983700-1454684823_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-32206700-1454684830_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-89031100-1454684836_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-59825000-1454684843_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 19

Looking good jeff

Whats your plans at the end of the hillside where you can see the insulation board underneath?

Are you going to slope it back down to track level,or just blank it with plywood cut to suit?

Cheers

Ben

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ben.

There'll be a backboard behind the new bit of hillside and the cutting will "fade" into it. So the bit of cut that's presently open - where you can see the insulation board - will be sealed

May do the job tomorrow if I can find a bit of ply for the back

Jeff

• Like 5

Evening Jeff,

Thanks for the kind comments - I'm enjoying following this so much, but my presence may be a little fragmented over the next couple of weeks as my appointments come through. You must be getting fairly excited by now, the way it is shaping up!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff,

Thanks for the kind comments - I'm enjoying following this so much, but my presence may be a little fragmented over the next couple of weeks as my appointments come through. You must be getting fairly excited by now, the way it is shaping up!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Yes, it's starting to look something like a real landscape.Plenty to do, of course, and the detailing never stops!

Good luck with your treatment. And please remember that your comments provide me with the encouragement to push on!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looking excellent Jeff this is really turning into an absolute cracker of a layout. There must be one hell of a weight in that fell side.

One very quick point do you think we will see grass by page 100........  :scared:

Interesting thing, the weight. If you look back to the KL thread you'll see a Fell with thicker plaster, a metre longer but not quite as high. I reckoned there was about 200kg of plaster mix on that.

With KL2, the total mass is about 120kg - so about the same as two ten stone people sat on the L-girder frame. Not too much, especially as the baseboard is on 3 6x3 inch L-girders.

In terms of pressure, it comes in as a 1200N load over about 2.5 sq metres, or 1200N/25000sq.cm ~ 0.05N/sq cm. Compare this to the pressure on the floor under a typical person's foot of ~ 1N/sq cm.

In pressure terms, the load isn't too bad.

Sorry to ramble - just convincing myself it's structurally sound!

Jeff

• Like 6

Love that tunnel entrance already Jeff! Best part of layout construction as you begin to see the overall form take shape after boring tracklaying and wiring.

As for your calculations - you have stated 0.5N/sq cm, have you worked out what a 3x2 (7cm x 4.5 cm) leg e.g 33.75 sq cm x 0.5 = 16.88 per leg. Now does that equate to the total weight calculated for the whole structure supported by the number of legs?

Now as you know Dent had no calculations done......... oh! and no legs either. :jester:  :jester: Hope that got you going HahahahaHehehehe.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good one, Mike. For the first sentence you had me - I was trying to work out what the hell you were talking about (must have been your Scottish accent that puzzled me!  :angel:  :angel: )

Agree about being able - finally - to see something that resembles a landscape. But I really do enjoy all the planning - and trying to get the levels correct, the joist in the right places, the track laid half-decent etc...

Funny thing, scenics. It's the part of layout building where you have a bit of free reign/artistic licence. Let's face it, if you don't put the track or wood in the right place you're in trouble. But a bit (ton) of scatter here, a few (thousands) fibres of static grass there - great fun.

I'll finish the cutting and fit the backboard tomorrow. Maybe transfer the portal plan onto 4mm ply and cut the portal entrance.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Looking good jeff

Whats your plans at the end of the hillside where you can see the insulation board underneath?

Are you going to slope it back down to track level,or just blank it with plywood cut to suit?

Cheers

Ben

Ben, I gave you a wordy answer to your question yesterday. Here's what I've done in pictures:

post-13778-0-13674300-1454773678_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-21613400-1454773683_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-49337300-1454773689_thumb.jpg

As with a number of places, the landscape will need a further coating of emulsion before any vegetation is applied.

Jeff

• Like 8