RMweb

Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Update: Just to let you know that there ARE things going on in the Bunker at the moment - I'm just not telling anybody what I'm doing...

I've spent over 20 hours working in the Bunker over the last 3 days. I'm going to Cumbria next Monday, so it's a race against time to try and get the job done so I can post it on here. It'll be touch and go - progress is very slow.

I'll "maybe" have something to show on Saturday  - IF the PVA sets rapidly enough!!  :D  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

Hello Physicsman

I posted in Wright Writes, and someone suggested I should enquire here. I'm coming to the scenic stage of my layout, Cwm Prysor. I'm looking into making a some drystone walking and had been looking into using Ian Nuttall's method off his Dentdale layout, of making a jig from plasticard strips with DAS clay added, left to dry and cut to size.

post-24300-0-74287000-1494173152_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-03208500-1494173187_thumb.jpg

The dry stone walling are still at the real location, so will be using them as a guide.

post-24300-0-19086500-1494173320_thumb.jpg

Your's look very effective, did you use a similar method?

I live not far from Garsdale, so have a soft spot for the S&C.

Thanks in advance

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom.

The easiest way to read about the method I use is to look at my original Kirkby Luneside thread, link here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53448-kirkby-luneside-well-and-truly-plastered/page-254

Scroll down the page to post # 6341 onwards and you'll get the idea.

I've since added another channel to make 40thou strips - equivalent to a 3" stone. Roughly, the proportion of stones I use to make a wall would be: 45% 3", 45% 4.5", 8% 6" and 2% 9".

It takes a fair bit longer putting together a wall using the smaller "rocks", but looks much better. The walls on KL2 average 10 layers plus a top coping, around 30 stones per cm of length. I've speeded up over the last few years (KL2 has over 40,000 stones in its walls to date) - and currently work at around 200 stones..... 6-7cm.....per hour.

Numbers - you can tell I'm a physicist!

Hope this helps.

Edit: Yes, the idea is based on Ian Nuttall's method.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ok, I've done all I can for the moment, and I'm away for the next week or so. Over at my dad's in Cumbria and the weather forecast looks good.

The fencing is now complete and the wires painted. The walls have a bit of vegetation at their "feet", though additional fibres will be added, along with some other stuff - I've found it wise to let PVA dry between main static grass (1 and 2mm, then 4 and 6mm) layers. Once the bigger stuff is in, the hairspray comes in handy for quick fixes. All to be done later.

So that's it for now, and here's a few piccies to keep you happy/interested....

post-13778-0-79108400-1494184451_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-31581600-1494184528_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-94866700-1494184590_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-59226500-1494184667_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-91295800-1494184730_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-13093500-1494184793_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-34253900-1494184852_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Can only echo what has been said here! Wonderful work, wonderful effect, wonderful to look at!  Just don't go walling yourself off from everything ;) Sorry couldn't resist!

Really does look fantastic tho.  Realism is 100%.  Craftsmanship and Like buttons really are not enough!

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Can only echo what has been said here! Wonderful work, wonderful effect, wonderful to look at!  Just don't go walling yourself off from everything ;) Sorry couldn't resist!

Really does look fantastic tho.  Realism is 100%.  Craftsmanship and Like buttons really are not enough!

Rich

Hi Rich.

It'll hopefully be more realistic when a bit more detailing goes in. Still plenty to do, which is great as it's an enjoyable task.

Being away for a while is giving me a bit of perspective and the opportunity to think of what's going in next.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can only echo what's been said before ,the level of modelling is outstanding that fell is so life like I could imagine walking down that road

Superb

Brian

Cheers Brian.

Scenic modelling is a funny thing and is often described as a "dark art", probably because there's no fixed way to achieve a "look" or what the look should look like. Does the lane have a lot of vegetation on its borders, what kind of vegetation, loads of rocks etc etc..... I suppose the end result comes down to whether the builder is happy with the comparison with photos of the "real thing".

The Fell below the wall is a good example of the subjectivity involved. The work I did in February got a positive reaction on here and my brother thought it looked right. I didn't, and every time I went into the Bunker to work on the embankment, sidings etc, I kept looking at the Fell and shaking my head. I'm not shaking it any more. Whether it's any better is open to debate, but it doesn't nag at me anymore, so I guess that's a good thing.

I really DO think that looking at primary reference material - the abundance of photos on the web - is key to a decent result. I'll be having a good look next week when I'm home, before making a few additions to the lane and the area beyond the overbridge.

Btw, the last week's effort added another 5,000 stones to the walling pile (around 170cm). The spur wall, just starting, off the lane and heading up the hill, will form the start of the FINAL (haha) walling on KL2. Running along the top of the hill towards the goods area, it's the railway land boundary. It can't be installed until the rodding/ballasting is done, but it's another 300cm, or 9,000 stones. Phew - glad that won't be for a while!

To ALL viewers on here - MANY thanks for your comments. If you find any nice Dale/Lakeland lane pics, post them on here!

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Just amazing Jeff. The pics in 4092 are superb. All you need now are crimson engines with matching carriages running through that delightful scenery.

Derek

Yes Derek, a crimson Jubilee like "Galatea" would look splendid on the line. Makes me wonder what Jock would have said. Probably "getting excited now", bless him.

Looks like it'll be the on-loan Black 5s and 8F that will be the first steamers to run since the re-gauge.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: I thought I'd better write something as it's unusual for this thread to be so quiet!

I'm still in Cumbria, but should re-start a bit more scenic work by the middle of next week. I've actually given very little thought to the layout over the last few days. Walking, chatting and a lot of analysis of recently-taken moon images have taken up my time.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff I don't get to look in that often and whenever I do you seem to be raising your game yet again. Those last pictures are amazing I have never seen walls done as well as that on a model it is really good. The whole thing fence walls and track combine really well.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff I don't get to look in that often and whenever I do you seem to be raising your game yet again. Those last pictures are amazing I have never seen walls done as well as that on a model it is really good. The whole thing fence walls and track combine really well.

Don

Thanks Don. As a long-time contributor to the KL threads, that is the kind of comment that goes a long way to uplifting flagging enthusiasm after a few thousand walling stones!

It would certainly be possible to make the walls even more realistic, but then the time element comes into play and a compromise has to be reached. I think a short length of walling (say 50cm) on a diorama could be something I'd consider refining the walling technique for. It'd be interesting having twice as many brick thicknesses and a lot more stones per cm - and I could put up with it for a few hours.... I think. You've given me an idea!

I have to admit that only a few years ago I'd have said that my priority on a railway layout was the track. Now, it seems to have become peripheral and totally subservient to the surroundings.

Jeff

• Like 3