Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Thanks Don. As a long-time contributor to the KL threads, that is the kind of comment that goes a long way to uplifting flagging enthusiasm after a few thousand walling stones!

It would certainly be possible to make the walls even more realistic, but then the time element comes into play and a compromise has to be reached. I think a short length of walling (say 50cm) on a diorama could be something I'd consider refining the walling technique for. It'd be interesting having twice as many brick thicknesses and a lot more stones per cm - and I could put up with it for a few hours.... I think. You've given me an idea!

I have to admit that only a few years ago I'd have said that my priority on a railway layout was the track. Now, it seems to have become peripheral and totally subservient to the surroundings.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Logically you are simply re-enacting the prototype after all the land and topographical features were there long before the railway came and that's why it all looks so unbelievably  *^&*($£*)^*_ GOOD !!!!! Please don't be tempted by a diorama otherwise we all may be facing an 'OO' to 'EM' style conversion on the walling WE WANT TO SEE TRAINS RUNNING...................

PS if you do I know a good home for any redundant walling :angel:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I have to say that I'm speechless Jeff, I had real doubts that you would be able to better Lunefell from KL1, but I have to say that Lunefell 2 is head and shoulders above it. You get a real feel of it being real, and the mix of textures across it is just sublime.

I just wonder what you have in store for us on the other side of the room, as I'm sure it won't beat this side!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from my early morning walk - it's hard to avoid when the sun is shining and the scenery's so lovely - to find comments from two of my stalwart contributors!

Mike, if I'm honest, the walling is the most insane thing I've ever done. If I'd been told in May 16 that during the next year I'd have to make and use 40,000 DAS stones then I might have given up. Or made more fencing, which wouldn't have been right.

EM walling - damn, I knew I should have changed the sizes. Oh well, I'll have to rip it all out and start again...

... Not a %#-:*5: chance!! :-)

Andy, thanks for your comments. You were always the biggest fan of the KL Fell, so I appreciate what you say. I will get round to some kind of "mood lighting" at some stage!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

"Evening all"....now where have I heard that opening before?

I'm now back at home and I've noticed that there has been a good number of visitors to the thread over the last week or so, despite the lack of anything new on here. Apologies about that. I should be able to get going again on Sunday, so something new will appear on here at some stage next week. 

Thanks for looking in.

Jeff

• Like 2

Oh, movement at the station!

Are you going to spend some time next week tweaking that removable corner into a curve, Jeff?

You know it's going to be a source of irritation if you leave it as is...   :P

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

I've just made up enough DAS strips to manufacture the next 1500 stones. They are currently drying over a heater, set on low (allows the strips to be usable within 6 hours instead of a day or so, if left to dry at ambient temperatures).

So I should be able to re-commence work on the overbridge lane this afternoon.

Tasks over the next few days will involve a bit more wall building and added vegetation and texture to the lane surroundings. We'll just have to see how it turns out!

Jeff 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I thought I'd share this story of ongoing decrepitude with you and yes, it's ok to laugh!....

I've been over in Cumbria for the best part of the last 2 weeks. I enjoy walking and I've done a number of early-morning 5-6 mile walks, over a range of terrain (slight hills, streets etc). A 5 mile walk takes me about 75 minutes (oh for the days when I could run that distance in 32 minutes!), so my legs are used to a bit of exercise.

I've just spent the last 3 hours putting near-on 600 stones into (yet) another wall. It involves stepping up and down on a chair every so often to replenish bricks, glue etc. After 3 hours I'm knackered! This wasn't the case 2 weeks ago, so I guess I'm going to have to get going on the squats and squat thrusts.... 

Walling coming along well. I'll aim to show you what I've done around Wednesday time, as I'd like to just get the job done first.

Jeff

• Like 2

Looking forward to more progress jeff.

Can i kindly ask jeff,what products and techniques you use for your static grass?

Do you use normal pva glue? Watered down?

I done a test piece today on a bit of polystyrene,used watered down pva,brass pin on the end of my cheap flyswater type of applicator.....and it just looks a mess!

Hardly any of the fibres are stood up,most are laid down in the glue,very annoying as its sort of stopping me from progessing with the layout.

The applicator certainly charges up,as i can hear it when pressing the button and it gives a spark when i earth it to the pin.

Appreciate any help or tips if you can jeff.

Cheers

Ben

• RMweb Premium

Evening Ben.

I'd suggest you have a look at these 2 pages in the KL2 thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94282-kirkby-luneside-2-grime-and-filth/page-119?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94282-kirkby-luneside-2-grime-and-filth/page-139?

On page 119 there's a picture "tutorial" in post # 2957.

On page 139 there's a detailed run-down of the way I do things.

I tend to use neat PVA (B&Q Decorators PVA - fairly runny without dilution) but read the links and you'll find I DO dilute it a bit. Recently, the maximum dilution I've been using is 8 parts PVA to 2 parts water.

The applicator is a Noch Grassmaster 2.0. This isn't cheap at around £130, but I realised I'd have acres of grassing to do, so the investment has paid off.

Fibres are mostly Noch, though I have bought some excellent fibres from The Model Tree Shop.

I'd recommend:

Noch 07100 6mm green fibres, Noch 07101 6mm beige, Noch 50220 2.5mm green, Noch 07110 12mm Green, Noch 07111 12mm Beige, 

Model Tree Shop 4mm Dead Grass, 1 and 2mm Winter Meadow.

Hope that is of some use!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Post 4114 just goes to prove my long term theory Jeff .............exercise is bad for you!

Just about to do some more - heading to the Bunker for more chair step-ups!

I'll report back later and make some groaning sounds!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: GROAN!! GROAN!!!!

No, actually, today has been ok. 2000 stones added yesterday and today. Hope to get some pics up by Wednesday and the overbridge area about complete by Friday.

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Here's a couple of pics to show the area I'm working on. 3 days effort since I re-started and I bet you think it looks the same as 2 weeks ago!

Oh well, plenty more to do over the next 2-3 days. Pics when available.

post-13778-0-25822500-1495567677_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-82304900-1495567731_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

A bunch of pics - not especially good as the lighting was relatively poor, so the depth of field is limited.

6mm fibres added as lane grass, some wire in the wall posts, embankments topped with grass and a few shrubby bushes on the laneside. Amazing how seemingly little is achieved, despite spending over 6 hours on it today!

The main thing is, it was/is fun to do!

post-13778-0-76362600-1495661023_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-26151100-1495661081_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-17732700-1495661137_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-37361900-1495661193_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-00809200-1495661250_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

A few more pics to add to last night's. The Bunker door is open, so the ambient light level is a bit higher and the depth-of-field is improved.

The lane is being "abandoned" for the moment - I'm now heading toward the viaduct...

post-13778-0-29639200-1495716418_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-88384400-1495716478_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-37960600-1495716538_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-38204800-1495716600_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-62066700-1495716662_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Probably the best I'll manage to obtain a full, in-focus view along the lane.

And a general view across the Fell.

post-13778-0-86264300-1495735920_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-13645700-1495735935_thumb.jpg

A break from pics for a while as I contemplate building a trickling stream.

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Stunning work there jeff!

Just needs a farmers landrover bimbling along that lane.

Cheers ben

Agree with you about the Land Rover, Ben.

Bit of a sore point at the mo. I have a couple of model Land Rovers and a Massey-Ferguson tractor - along with loads of early-mid 60s cars - stashed away, in bubble-wrap, somewhere in the house/Bunker. I was trying to find them so I could put some tractor tracks into soft plaster on the lane, but they've vanished....

Anyway, here's the final lane pic for a good while (hurray, thank goodness.....you all say) with wiring through the fence posts (it's supposed to represent barbed wire - I bet even Jason wouldn't be adding 0.3mm stubs onto the wire to represent the barbs. Even I draw a line at that!)

post-13778-0-69027900-1495817221_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

Its all a bit Joanna Lumley and Jennifer Saunders to me Jeff............Absolutely Fabulous! If ever you get a chance to visit to see Dent pack a suitcase as I'll be kidnapping you for a week or so :angel:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Its all a bit Joanna Lumley and Jennifer Saunders to me Jeff............Absolutely Fabulous! If ever you get a chance to visit to see Dent pack a suitcase as I'll be kidnapping you for a week or so :angel:

Joanna Lumley - scrumptious! Wouldn't mind bumping into her on the Fell, though she'd more likely be in Nepal. Brings back memories of her appearance, looking delightfully young, in a 1972-3 episode of Are You Being Served?

As for Dent, I don't think you need any input from me! If I ever called round, just feed me curry and I'll build whatever you like!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2