Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

The majority of the grassing on the stream area is now complete, though there are touch-ups still to be done. Some of today's grass may appear a little light as the white PVA base is still white as it's just been put on.

So here's a collection of pics, some from different angles (above the viaduct!!), and - HEY - there is some track visible! Wow! Didn't know that was there - those pesky navvies, sneaking into my landscape when I wasn't looking....

It looks very good Jeff.

What will we see looking through and beyond the arches of the viaduct?

Would a mirror(s) work hard against the rear brickwork of the arch?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It looks very good Jeff.

What will we see looking through and beyond the arches of the viaduct?

Would a mirror(s) work hard against the rear brickwork of the arch?

Very good question Mick, and yes, I've considered a mirror behind the arches.

I've left it blank for the moment as I'd spent a fair while trying to find, and then manufacture something that looked credible - all to no avail. I'll probably come back to this at some stage and a piece of mirror is as likely a solution as any.

Jeff

• Like 1

Not sure if we discussed this before, Jeff, but I think two of these, nestled on the fell would be a nice subtle touch, that brings the fell back into context:

post-8688-0-93737700-1497065938.jpg

post-8688-0-77216600-1497065945.jpg

post-8688-0-22114800-1497065951.jpg

The beauty is, of course they don't have to be actually directly above where the track runs.

Perhaps like this?

post-8688-0-42327400-1497066286_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott.

The air shafts on the Fell haven't been discussed in the current KL2 thread. However, Simon (Kingmoorkid) put a series of photos of the structures into KL, starting with post # 5309, page 213.

I intended to fit one on top of the original fell, so maybe it's a good idea to do the same here. Easy to build with regular sized DAS bricks, painted a (very weathered) brick colour.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Scott - I've just re-read your post...

I sometimes wonder if you think about my layout more than I do! "Bringing the Fell back into context" is very perceptive, as the inclusion of air-shafts does, in a minor way, justify building the fell-monstrosity!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

Jeff

I rarely feel I can interject in your topic, 'cos your quality and standards are so much in advance of my own.

However can I take this oportunity to play devils advocate?

At first reading I liked the suggested air-shafts, especially as I'm confident that you will achieve a nicely understated rendition, totally

in sympathy with the felside. I agree they would tie the fell back into a layout context. BUT in doing so I'm thinking you could lose the natulal nature of the fell, and would emphasis that the lrack-line was running behind the fell, rather than through it. After all if the true course of the line was as indicated by the vents, then it would have been built along the felside, wouldn't it?

Of course yours is the choice, but worth careful consideration, I suggest.

Whatever you decide, I'll be watching with interest, confident that the outcome will be enjoyable to see.

All the best

• RMweb Premium

Don't do it Jeff.

It'll mix up the relationship with the way the railway disappears. Putting air shafts will effectively make it a roundy-roundy, and put it back into train-set territory. At present the railway tunnels under Lunefell and continues on somewhere else. Putting those air vents will just show that it hides a fiddle yard.

Leave the Fell alone.

Andy G

KLFAIS Member No1 (Keep LuneFell As It Is)

• Like 1

Scott - I've just re-read your post...

I sometimes wonder if you think about my layout more than I do! "Bringing the Fell back into context" is very perceptive, as the inclusion of air-shafts does, in a minor way, justify building the fell-monstrosity!!

Jeff

Thank you.  I think the fell is scenically, an awesome achievement - but at the end of the day, it's a model railway, and I guess my thought was adding that small touch won't be a distraction from the grandeur you have created (and I had to go back about 10 pages to find a suitable photo to mark up to illustrate what I was thinking) but for anyone with a railway background, they will immediately connect the presence of the vent shafts with a tunnel below.

I'd steer away from DAS, only because the brickwork would end up too coarse.  My advice would be to use English Bond brick card wrapped around and stick on a dowel or tin as a former, with the joint facing the backscene so no one can see it.

Tony's point about the avoidance of a tunnel if possible is fair - which I would counter by suggesting that is why you'd want to place them high on the fell, and why you'd place two of them, not one - to imply the required path was deep under the landscape.

As always - suggestions only; Rule 1 is always in effect!

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Well done lads, this is EXACTLY why I have this layout in a Forum such as RWweb - for the discussion.

Any work - should it be done - would not happen immediately. Agree about the brick, Scott, and much easier to use a sheet of Slaters (which I probably have in stock).

Here's the original link from KL:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53448-kirkby-luneside-into-the-valley/page-213

I'd also add a couple of things. Even if the air-shaft was 20 feet tall, that's only 8cm to scale, maybe 6cm wide, and dwarfed by the Fell. Also, the structure would be built on a workbench and positioned later - so even if I did build the thing, it could be put in place and we could all then say "looks disgusting, get rid".....

It's something to think about and I'm especially chuffed at the "love I feel for the Fell" reaction. Andy, I assume you have your KLFAIS membership card and placards at the ready? :D  :D

Jeff

• Like 2

Very good question Mick, and yes, I've considered a mirror behind the arches.

I've left it blank for the moment as I'd spent a fair while trying to find, and then manufacture something that looked credible - all to no avail. I'll probably come back to this at some stage and a piece of mirror is as likely a solution as any.

Jeff

Or an ultra low relief Pack Horse Bridge maybe? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I must admit that I like the idea of a very low relief bridge behind the viaduct. There's the prototype below Dent Head which I'd have liked to build in full if there was a place/context for it, which there isn't.

I'll have to give this some thought.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm not wanting to continue the discussion about the view under the viaduct, but I've cut a piece of 3mm ply to the approximate contours of the land behind the viaduct. It's easy to slot in and out of this space. I'll sketch up some ideas on paper as to the view under here - it'll be pretty ill-defined, fading away into the distance -  and at some stage I'll try my hand with a bit of paint. More Picasso than Michaelangelo!!

A pic to show the idea and a couple of other, general views - I couldn't resist....

post-13778-0-26714700-1497199080_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-15656600-1497199156_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-90894300-1497199215_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Update: Not a great deal done, by the standards of the last few months...

Stream level topped-up in places, and I've added another 60cm section of the "Llanberys" backscene to the rear right of the viaduct. I've got some acrylic paint on order and I'll have a go at the lower rear area of the backscene when they arrive. 

So here's a few more pics. The last one is a 6 image panorama which looks quite interesting when clicked on in the browser.

post-13778-0-32691300-1497359961_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-21038900-1497359041_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-85277500-1497359089_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

If you need a bespoke backscene try John at http://www.art-printers.com/ where I had my Dent rendition done, he's very helpful and the cost is reasonable.

Thanks Mike.

I'm ok at the moment, but at some stage I'll be heading into the Fells with my camera to capture some panoramas. Not necessarily for KL2, but you never know what might crop-up.

The backscene you created for Dent is very effective.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update:

I'll be doing a few small jobs over the next 3 weeks - a little bit of walling, grassing, but nothing much. So there won't be that many posts.

A short break isn't a bad thing as the KL2 project has been almost continuous since the layout build started in August 2015.

I'm expecting things to pick up after the finescale meeting at Stafford in early July. Point rodding will be done and I should have some borrowed rolling stock (locos from Jason) to play with.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Which reminds me, I will need to put AJ's on one end of a few wagons as the locos earmarked for loan are now AJ fitted. They still have hooks which could be used with three links but to run in rakes with the ability to swap locos, AJ's are easier (that is what is done on BCB).

• Like 1