Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeepers Jeff!

I really don't know how you could contemplate such a job, good on you! That wall so far looks fantastic.

It's something I couldn't bear, I'd want to be playing trains all the time!

Cheers,

John.

John, I TOO want to play trains. I just keep saying to myself that if I'm a good boy and do all that lovely walling well, as a special treat, I'll be allowed to run the 9F and Patriot round the layout for a few minutes!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I think that wall looks great Jeff... only a bit more to do :)

I think it's an improvement over KL1 with the more random placement/orientation. Very much looking forward to seeing them all bedded into vegetation like last time! Also like last time it's making me once more regret that I've selected a location that utilised hedges for boundaries instead of dry stone walls!

Kind regards, Neil

Thanks Neil. I know you've been waiting for the "walling bit". Judging by the speed I'm currently working, you'll be looking in at it for quite a time.

Hopefully an improvement on KL1. As long as it looks the part and becomes integral with the S&C landscape, I'll be happy.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I've not popped in for a few days now to see how your progressing, which I know is very remiss of me, but the start of the walling is looking really good, glad to see your still enjoying wall building.

Glad to see you popping in, Andy. Just keep me on the straight and narrow! 

As for enjoying the wall build. At the moment, yes. Ask me in a week's time!  :O  :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here's the current state of the wall. No more walling today. I've used up all 20 strips of the 3" and 4.5" scale DAS. Will be making some more shortly.

There's around 1000 stones in the wall so far. It's just short of 50cm long. The last image puts the wall in context with part of the Fell.

post-13778-0-16568800-1462547585_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-27359200-1462547589_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-09143100-1462547592_thumb.jpg

I'm working at about 8cm per hour....

Now what did John say about playing trains?!!?

Jeff

Edit: It's difficult to keep the wall to the same height due to the variation in the level of the landscape. If necessary, any "problems" can be sorted out at the end by adding a bit of extra filler onto the Fell to reduce any "high" parts.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

Hi Jeff

The first thing I did when I saw that first photo of the walling was to say out loud "WOW", it looks stunning.

"Edit: It's difficult to keep the wall to the same height due to the variation in the level of the landscape. If necessary, any "problems" can be sorted out at the end by adding a bit of extra filler onto the Fell to reduce any "high" parts."

No problem at all with that, real walls follow the undulations of the ground, but never that accurately, you always have high spots and just ask any sheep, they'll soon tell you where all the low places are!!

I think it's fair to say that you are modelling pre health & safety times, otherwise you would need to include the grab bars/handles/whatever you want to call them into the tops of your wall, I could not believe my eyes the other day when I saw this.

post-8639-0-24528500-1462549671.jpg

Keep up the excellent work Sir.

Chip.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chip. As the lurking purveyor of all that is stone-walling in the Orton-Kirkby Stephen area, your words are very kind and encouraging.

I've been back in the Bunker for the last 2 hours. I discovered a couple of thin DAS strips lurking (appropriately!) and managed to get another 200 stones and 10cm extra length added. I've also made up nearly 2 dozen new strips of the thinner stones (3" and 4.5"), so I ought to be able to get another 60-70cm of walling done tomorrow and Sunday before the next DAS refill is required.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, those wall look the business. I don't suppose you could build a section of wall take a couple of moulds and flog them to the rest of us? No? I thought not

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, those wall look the business. I don't suppose you could build a section of wall take a couple of moulds and flog them to the rest of us? No? I thought not

Hi Jonathan.

It would be remiss of me to deprive others of the extreme excitement and enjoyment that DAS wall-building imbues!!

So, NO, no moulds.....  :mail:  :danced:  :D  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff

The first thing I did when I saw that first photo of the walling was to say out loud "WOW", it looks stunning.

"Edit: It's difficult to keep the wall to the same height due to the variation in the level of the landscape. If necessary, any "problems" can be sorted out at the end by adding a bit of extra filler onto the Fell to reduce any "high" parts."

No problem at all with that, real walls follow the undulations of the ground, but never that accurately, you always have high spots and just ask any sheep, they'll soon tell you where all the low places are!!

I think it's fair to say that you are modelling pre health & safety times, otherwise you would need to include the grab bars/handles/whatever you want to call them into the tops of your wall, I could not believe my eyes the other day when I saw this.

attachicon.gifJeff Elf Safety.jpg

Keep up the excellent work Sir.

Chip.

Chip,

I don't know about health and safety - it looks like they have added vaulting bars on the basis that those who are walking the fells must be super fit or, for the sheep, pen sides to head for.

• RMweb Premium

Current state of play. After another 6 hours (or so) walling, the wall has extended to around 105cm in length. The first picture shows it resembling a snake moving across the Fell.

More tomorrow - though maybe only a couple of hours this time.

post-13778-0-24625300-1462646003_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-30350500-1462646009_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-91145900-1462646013_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edit: Can I point out (for those who don't know) that the stone layers remain horizontal, irrespective of the gradient the wall is crossing. It's another pain in the proverbial that slows things down!

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

Any idea what happened to the 'totally mad' button? Jeff must have had it surgically removed before starting the walling. Does look very very good I must admit.

It certainly does look the part jeff,everything about it looks to scale & in proportion.

Great work.

When it comes to ballasting though,do you lay each individual ballast stone by hand?!! Ha ha

Cheers

Ben

Edited by ben pez
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It certainly does look the part jeff,everything about it looks to scale & in proportion.

Great work.

When it comes to ballasting though,do you lay each individual ballast stone by hand?!! Ha ha

Cheers

Ben

Ben, what a great idea! I really must give that a go - I need to inject some excitement into my life!

Though hang on - I'm sure Mike said that was the technique he used to ballast Dent!  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Any idea what happened to the 'totally mad' button? Jeff must have had it surgically removed before starting the walling. Does look very very good I must admit.

Can't argue with that, Mike. It's quite insane, yet strangely compelling.

Makes a change from watching grass grow / paint dry / stone by stone ballasting.....

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant Jeff. The quality of the walling was the thing that set KL1 apart and it looks like KL2 is going to top that. I don't know about those safety bars Chip showed we saw nothing like that in Wharfedale or Hawes last year.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps while all the walling groupies are looking in someone can tell me what is going on here. Are they to let the sheep out while keeping cattle in? :no:

post-8525-0-34172000-1462656482_thumb.jpg

Don

• Like 6

Perhaps while all the walling groupies are looking in someone can tell me what is going on here. Are they to let the sheep out while keeping cattle in? :no:

attachicon.gifoddwalls.jpg

Don

Hi Don

"Smoot Holes" is what I've always known them as and you are correct, they let the sheep through, but not the cattle. And a large flat stone placed across the hole acted as a gate if you wanted to close the hole off.

I remember them well on my Grandad's farm.

Something doesn't look right to me there though, it's unusual (I never have anyway) to see a row in a wall like that, normally just the 1 hole, the only other thing I've seen anything like that is if it is near a river, then it's to let the water through.if the land floods.

I await other explanations with interest.

Chip

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm. Jeff's not very tall.  Could be he's had a practice go at building a few duck-unders for KL.   :jester:

An interesting theory, but those gaps are MUCH too tall for me!!  :D  :D

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Don

"Smoot Holes" is what I've always known them as and you are correct, they let the sheep through, but not the cattle. And a large flat stone placed across the hole acted as a gate if you wanted to close the hole off.

I remember them well on my Grandad's farm.

Something doesn't look right to me there though, it's unusual (I never have anyway) to see a row in a wall like that, normally just the 1 hole, the only other thing I've seen anything like that is if it is near a river, then it's to let the water through.if the land floods.

I await other explanations with interest.

Chip

Chip the shot was taken along the Wharfe near Grassington so your explanation about the floods may be right. I couldn't see what use they would be but I suppose in summer boards could be used to block the holes. A simple post and wire fence would let the water through and keep the sheep in which would have been used in other places.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Such flood gaps were put into road-side walls alongside the confluence of the rivers Cover and Ure in lower Wensleydale a few years ago to stop the force of flood waters pushing them over into said road. They didn't last more than a couple of years though. They were near the Coverbridge Inn for those who know the area.

• RMweb Premium

It's a shame there's nothing quite like that to model as part of the run-of-the-mill Fell walling.

However, I still intend to (try to) build something along the lines of this packhorse bridge across the stream, using DAS bricks. This one lies below Dent Head viaduct and was first brought to my attention in the KL1 thread by Jason.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/84/30/1843003_d9da2790.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just a single pic today. Another 25cm of walling done.

post-13778-0-52830000-1462731162_thumb.jpg

Probably nothing to show tomorrow as I'll be following the Transit of Mercury - all 7 hours of it. Will post any decent pics in the Asylum.

Jeff

• Like 9