Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

If you can be patient Jeff I'll maybe have the heavy Midland bufferstop you need for the end of the short spur opposite the cattle dock next spring, I need a couple for Wharfeside too.

And, if you lived closer you could borrow my Dornoch Firth for the Thames Clyde, at least till I need it.

Really looking forward to that one, it's been me mentioning it at shows a couple of times... (hopefully without sounding like I was trying to pressure).

• RMweb Premium

You wanted some pics, Peter? Here's an overdose of platforms.

Edges painted and the Up platform (nearest the rear wall) has had its fascias added in. I'll do the other one later.

post-13778-0-54235900-1482252853_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-94365100-1482252856_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-16231000-1482252863_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-69197600-1482252867_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-53975700-1482252871_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-70504300-1482252874_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

That's better Jeff, but STILL NO LIKES hahahah, well done mate.

Your post deserves a Like, Andy!!  :nono:

I forgot to add, the platform fascias WILL need painting - shades of grey (not the film), as usual.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Fortunately I'm quite good at sycophancy, so I'll give Jeff a "like".

Wish he'd put in those missing sleepers though......................... :nono:

Stop complaining....you slave driver! :P

Wind-up merchant indeed!

BTW Peter. Why spend your time in a school when you could be at home building layouts?

Jeff

I got as far as the first train leaving the staging yard today. Then the power went out...

So retired life isn't always all it is cracked up to be

I should get back to it in three hours or so, after dinner. Power is back on at home, now I am just waiting on the little ones group therapy to be done, in Sooke.

James

• RMweb Premium

I got as far as the first train leaving the staging yard today. Then the power went out...

So retired life isn't always all it is cracked up to be

I should get back to it in three hours or so, after dinner. Power is back on at home, now I am just waiting on the little ones group therapy to be done, in Sooke.

James

But HOW did we ever find the time to do all the mega time-consuming jobs when we were at work?

Maybe we didn't - it's significant that KL (original version) started about the time I was "leaving the world of proper work".

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It'll be a very quiet day today. Too many "annoyances" to deal with - in the real world outside the Bunker - to get much chance at progress.

Though I might sneak out and make some diesel noises later. No, not ME making the noise - I mean the models.

Conjures up the image of the men in white suits, complete with portable padded cell, turning up outside my door.....

Imminent tasks: More cork modifications, due to the change in position of the track in the re-gauge / Fill in sleeper gaps (that'll make Peter sleep(er) more easily (sorry!)) / modify the existing platform ramps to fit the new configuration.

If AndyP reads this he'll reckon he could do that lot in around 30 minutes!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The layouts coming on very nicely ,the EM track looks better and crikey you didn't take long relaying it lol

Brian

Thanks Brian.

It did actually take about 5 weeks to change things over, but it was a busy 5 weeks and very enjoyable. There's still a bit more to do - I'm waiting on Marcway to deliver me a couple of curved turnouts to allow the rear sidings and fiddle yard to be completed.

No hurry!

Jeff

• Like 1

I use 'likes' as a way of saying I like what you're doing, without cluttering up the thread with posts that say, 'I like what you're doing.'

If I have something constructive to say, I'll throw it in as a post, but mostly I'm not doing enough modelling to have views that are worth cluttering up your thread with. (If and when I do, I'll let you know.)

I usually avoid the chatty emails, but if somebody says something funny, I'll give that a 'like', or 'agree', or even a 'craftsmanship' for a well crafted comment. 'Informative/Useful', I generally reserve for something that is either genuinely useful or else way more information than I needed (usually something to do with excrement or bodily functions.) If someone makes a comment that I think is correct, I might agree rather than posting the same thing again.

I was going to comment on your platforms, but was several days behind and by the time I caught up, you had clearly thought of what it was I was going to say anyway. It can be difficult to keep with the programme, you know.

Oh, I have one other rule. I generally don't post 'likes' to Jason's or Tony Wright's threads, as they've both expressed a dislike for them, though I might modify that now that I know which likes Jason likes and which likes he dislikes.

I'm afraid one of the problems of the internet is that there are all sorts of strangers like me popping in and commenting on your work, but presumably that's what you post it for. I think it's only polite to post my appreciation, and the 'like' system gives me a way to do that without cluttering up a thread, and without upsetting the crosser modellers.... until now, at any rate.

And I will try to come up with useful suggestions.

Alan

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alan.

That's an excellent post.

Let me first say that I don't, fundamentally, object to the Ratings system. However, I do get annoyed - not for myself (as people seem to want to put Likes on my posts) - for people like Jason (as just one example) who do some FANTASTIC modelling and get little "credit" for it, but someone shows a photo of a Skaledale station on a blank board and is showered with "Likes". I mean, come on, what is there to like about that?

I respect what others want to do with their choices, though. Your rationale seems very sensible.

You also raised a point about why people - myself in this instance - post layout work on here. I DON'T really know. That's an honest answer. All I can say is that since I started posting on the Forum at the end of 2011, the standard of what I aim for and produce has improved. So maybe I'm looking for feedback and ideas more than anything else. Some comments on what I'd done wrong and how to correct it are worth more than a Like. But then, I suppose, you can give both.

I would like people to enjoy what I do, and join in - hence the "Lunester" community of quite a number of regular contributors. I think we all help each other out, and raise our games by doing this.

In the end though, it's down to the individual whether they want to say or merit anything. Chipster, for example, just loves all the pics I put on here and has added lots of walling and scenic photos to help me along. Jason is always constructively critical, doesn't mince words and calls a spade a spade - it's great! Others, such as Peter have a wealth of experience and add cryptic comments, humour and relevant suggestions. AndyP adds...... grass, heeeheee, and lots of support. The list goes on.

Folks - PLEASE feel comfortable to say as much or as little as you please on here. If you don't want to comment and feel a Merit is easier, do it. At least we no longer have the symbols that allowed people to be negative and dismissive without giving reasons!

Alan, thanks again for your input.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan.

That's an excellent post.

Let me first say that I don't, fundamentally, object to the Ratings system. However, I do get annoyed - not for myself (as people seem to want to put Likes on my posts) - for people like Jason (as just one example) who do some FANTASTIC modelling and get little "credit" for it, but someone shows a photo of a Skaledale station on a blank board and is showered with "Likes". I mean, come on, what is there to like about that?

I respect what others want to do with their choices, though. Your rationale seems very sensible.

You also raised a point about why people - myself in this instance - post layout work on here. I DON'T really know. That's an honest answer. All I can say is that since I started posting on the Forum at the end of 2011, the standard of what I aim for and produce has improved. So maybe I'm looking for feedback and ideas more than anything else. Some comments on what I'd done wrong and how to correct it are worth more than a Like. But then, I suppose, you can give both.

I would like people to enjoy what I do, and join in - hence the "Lunester" community of quite a number of regular contributors. I think we all help each other out, and raise our games by doing this.

In the end though, it's down to the individual whether they want to say or merit anything. Chipster, for example, just loves all the pics I put on here and has added lots of walling and scenic photos to help me along. Jason is always constructively critical, doesn't mince words and calls a spade a spade - it's great! Others, such as Peter have a wealth of experience and add cryptic comments, humour and relevant suggestions. AndyP adds...... grass, heeeheee, and lots of support. The list goes on.

Folks - PLEASE feel comfortable to say as much or as little as you please on here. If you don't want to comment and feel a Merit is easier, do it. At least we no longer have the symbols that allowed people to be negative and dismissive without giving reasons!

Alan, thanks again for your input.

Jeff

It gets tricky sometimes though.  I occasionally click Like in order to encourage modellers who are perhaps less experienced or who may have just embarked on a facet of our hobby which they have never tried before.  If only the very best modelling received praise, then how many people would lose heart before their own standards improved?

Then, of course, there's the dilema of whether or not to encourage some nutter who is determined to reproduce all the north country's walling stone by stone!  :tomato:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It gets tricky sometimes though.  I occasionally click Like in order to encourage modellers who are perhaps less experienced or who may have just embarked on a facet of our hobby which they have never tried before.  If only the very best modelling received praise, then how many people would lose heart before their own standards improved?

Then, of course, there's the dilema of whether or not to encourage some nutter who is determined to reproduce all the north country's walling stone by stone!  :tomato:

Good points Rob.

I'm very happy for EVERYONE to be given credit and encouragement. And I'll make it clear that if anyone ever judged me as taking an "up myself" attitude to supporting ALL modelling, then I'll lock the thread and stop posting on here. I consider myself a fairly average modeller and never want to be seen as dishing out judgement when I've no right to do so.

BUT, I think a lot of fantastic modelling - way above anything I'm capable of - doesn't get a fraction of the credit it's due. This is my major gripe.

I think people have been more than fair in the credit they've given my own work. I couldn't begin to complain about the support I get on here.

Anyway, I'm going to shut up about this. I'll let the people who genuinely feel aggrieved speak up for themselves.

I'm very lucky to have a group of articulate followers on this thread. Cheers.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm with you there; it is a great way of encouraging people and should not be for skilled modellers only but at the same time, using them to say 'well done' for buying something that anyone with money could have done is wasted encouragement

Thanks Jeff.

I have to say I generally don't read threads where people just plonk something they've bought on a board - not because there's anything wrong with that, but just because it's not what I hope to do when I finally get the finger out, and boot myself up my own... sorry, going off thread there.

I subscribe to a number of threads, all of them of modelling I would hope to emulate in due course, including Jason's modelling which, I agree with you, is superb. If I'm not giving enough credit, I'm also trying not to obscure their modelling by wittering on.

Being able to take a two minute micro-break from work and look at inspiring modelling is one of the things I like about rmweb.

With which, back to t'oul mill.

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know it's not thread-related, and I'd be better posting this in the Asylum, but sod it - I've just checked the thread (I've been away in a non-internet zone for the last 2 days) so.....

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all who've visited here.

MANY thanks for all your suggestions, encouragement and for helping me to improve things.

All the best,

Jeff.

• Like 11

I know it's not thread-related, and I'd be better posting this in the Asylum, but sod it - I've just checked the thread (I've been away in a non-internet zone for the last 2 days) so.....

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all who've visited here.

MANY thanks for all your suggestions, encouragement and for helping me to improve things.

All the best,

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, Same to you and all your Family mate, and YES I did do a LIKE for your posting.

Have a good 2017 mate.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jeff, Same to you and all your Family mate, and YES I did do a LIKE for your posting.

Have a good 2017 mate.

You never know, I might get on to some of the proper detailing by this time next year.

I've been over at my dad's for the last couple of days and - aside from all the re-gauging aspects - I scared myself by making a (not exhaustive) list of items to be detailed.

Not surprising that people say that a layout is never finished.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Merry Christmas Jeff. Another year of modelling ahead of all of us.

Cheers Duncan.

I hope Hinton Ampner continues to progress and you continue to enjoy your modelling.....and helping out with Club layouts (a la Peter BB!!)

Best wishes.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Evening all....

I've glanced at the S&C section over the last few days and noticed a steady stream of people continue to look on here.

Unlike AndyP - who is ploughing on with not one, but two layouts over Christmas, yours truly is having a lazy period, thinking plenty and doing nothing.

I hope to re-start next week with a number of items off my "must get done" list.

In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy a few mince pies and hope you are all dreaming of lots of hard layout work in 2017!

Jeff

• Like 4