Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

The wagons in the background haven't been converted and are sat on the original OO sidings - which will disappear as soon as I receive the relevant curved turnout, which is on order.

A recent stock count shows 106 wagons, nearly all weathered. Cattle, oil, milk, insulated, plank etc - they'll be re-gauged and I'll aim to fit 3-links couplings to as many as I can manage. Not sure of the time scale, but the job WILL be done.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Looking very good Jeff, I take it that's a SOUND 24, so many different functions to a std ESU chip, my new 08 is the same.

Cheers Andy.

Yes, it's a Sound version. Fantastic quality sound. The only problem is that my old Lenz system (LH100) only allows access to the first 13 functions. Shame, since the chip has 28 (some more useful than others). All the main ones are ok, but - nevermind. The loco is a real beauty.

Hope your shed is drying out ok.

Jeff

Cheers Andy.

Yes, it's a Sound version. Fantastic quality sound. The only problem is that my old Lenz system (LH100) only allows access to the first 13 functions. Shame, since the chip has 28 (some more useful than others). All the main ones are ok, but - nevermind. The loco is a real beauty.

Jeff

I did say get the Gaugemaster Prodigy 2 mate. Can you get an add on or up grade using the basic's of that system without buying New?

Shed all dry now thanks, and I've started putting everything back into place.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've always said that I wasn't producing a "copy" of Kirkby Stephen, merely using the outline plan. Another straight 6' and I'd have slavishly copied the thing. Interesting, then, to compare the scenic area to a 2001 pic (courtesy IanMacdonald, Huddersfield MRC) - bearing in mind that the goods loop and shed have long since disappeared/been put to other uses:

There have been more changes still since then, which is rather annoying for my research! The, well, probably too short / wrong purpose to be called a headshunt, but the bit of track by the hut in the above photo has gone, replaced by just a trap off the siding, as have the points just visible near the goods shed, turning it into a straightforward siding (I believe it had been used prior to run around at a time when some steam training was being done in late BR days). More annoyingly from my point of view of trying to work it all out all the point rodding has been completely re-routed, whereas in that above picture I think it was in the same place it had always been, just with the disused rodding removed. And I've only just noticed the wall is much further back than where I've put it, grr (modeller's licence it is then!)

Quite honestly I'm thinking you've got the right idea by not intending to produce a copy, it must remove so many annoyances when you spot something a little different from what you've built!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There have been more changes still since then, which is rather annoying for my research! The, well, probably too short / wrong purpose to be called a headshunt, but the bit of track by the hut in the above photo has gone, replaced by just a trap off the siding, as have the points just visible near the goods shed, turning it into a straightforward siding (I believe it had been used prior to run around at a time when some steam training was being done in late BR days). More annoyingly from my point of view of trying to work it all out all the point rodding has been completely re-routed, whereas in that above picture I think it was in the same place it had always been, just with the disused rodding removed. And I've only just noticed the wall is much further back than where I've put it, grr (modeller's licence it is then!)

Quite honestly I'm thinking you've got the right idea by not intending to produce a copy, it must remove so many annoyances when you spot something a little different from what you've built!

Hi Simon.

It surprises me, as I look back, that I've ended up with something as "close" to KS as I have. When I started looking around for a prototype to base the original KL on - in around 2010 - it HAD to be S&C, and KS ticked all the boxes. My intention was to fit in the goods area, cattle dock and twin platform along with my own "additions". These included the viaduct and Fell, but - as in the original KL - also added-in a superfluous branch with ridiculous amounts of un-prototypical pointwork.

Going back to the relative simplicity of KS led to KL2.

post-13778-0-35159000-1480421796_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-95112000-1480421806_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-48802900-1480421824_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Here's a few pics - from old books - dated (approx) 1967/1967/1982/1935. I'm happy to follow the trend of things. Trying to get a definitive copy would do my head in. And I see what you mean about the further changes - I've just been looking at some of Mark Harvey's 2012 pics on a Google search.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I did say get the Gaugemaster Prodigy 2 mate. Can you get an add on or up grade using the basic's of that system without buying New?

Shed all dry now thanks, and I've started putting everything back into place.

Glad the Shed is getting sorted. At least it happened now, not half way through a layout.

I've had the ultra-reliable Lenz system since 2008. I'll buy-in a new system at some stage - the cost will be small compared to all the recent re-gauging and SLW buying!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium
Going back to the relative simplicity of KS led to KL2.

Immediately followed by a picture of a 3-way point! Interesting signal on the 1935 picture, a result of the Midland's right-hand-drive locos I presume.

Capturing the atmosphere, getting the details right for the line without being a specific place on the line, all makes a great deal of sense really, and allows some interesting additions like the viaduct. That's working well for Kirkby Luneside, being able to put several features of the line that all are part of its feel but don't necessarily occur close enough together on the real thing. The fell is great example of that.

On the second picture there's something annoyingly parked in the cattle dock. Do you know whether there were buffer stops there (as there are nowdays) or just a wooden beam against the end?

• RMweb Premium

Immediately followed by a picture of a 3-way point! Interesting signal on the 1935 picture, a result of the Midland's right-hand-drive locos I presume.

Capturing the atmosphere, getting the details right for the line without being a specific place on the line, all makes a great deal of sense really, and allows some interesting additions like the viaduct. That's working well for Kirkby Luneside, being able to put several features of the line that all are part of its feel but don't necessarily occur close enough together on the real thing. The fell is great example of that.

On the second picture there's something annoyingly parked in the cattle dock. Do you know whether there were buffer stops there (as there are nowdays) or just a wooden beam against the end?

Good question, and difficult to answer as there always seems to be something parked there on all the old photos.

Here's another from 1967 (seems ancient, looking at it!) with the same set of wagons in the dock as for the previous diesel shot:

post-13778-0-17390400-1480426940_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

You'll be glad to know that Parkside do a kit of that five plank wagon sat in the dock :)

I need a kit-build refresher course, to add to all the other stuff I need to know!

Only a relatively short time in the Bunker today. I've replaced the normal sleepers with gapped PCB ones around the area of the liftout. Similar to the job in post # 1673, page 67, just over a year ago. It's interesting looking back a year: the OO track had just been laid and there's no sign of a Fell anywhere!

Jeff

Cheers Andy.

Jeff

Jeff,

You're missing out on some useful stuff I included in the Class 24 sound project if you stop at F13. You can get the Lenz upgraded to V34 software which will give you acces to all 29 F keys.

You may find the volume control on F27 (down) and F28 (up) useful, whilst the notching keys on F23 to F26 allow ultimate flexibility.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

You're missing out on some useful stuff I included in the Class 24 sound project if you stop at F13. You can get the Lenz upgraded to V34 software which will give you acces to all 29 F keys.

You may find the volume control on F27 (down) and F28 (up) useful, whilst the notching keys on F23 to F26 allow ultimate flexibility.

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul, thanks very much for looking-in and for the Lenz advice.

To be honest, although the system is very robust and reliable, I think it's about time I bought in a new control system. I'll likely acquire this in the first half of next year.

The sound from the 24 is the best I've heard and my brother commented that neighbours 2 doors away were asking where the "train sounds" were coming from!!

Thanks again for taking the trouble to give me the benefit of your expertise. I'm looking forward to hearing some more of your sound chips via future SLW locos!

Jeff

• Like 1

To be honest, although the system is very robust and reliable, I think it's about time I bought in a new control system. I'll likely acquire this in the first half of next year.

The sound from the 24 is the best I've heard and my brother commented that neighbours 2 doors away were asking where the "train sounds" were coming from!!

Thanks again for taking the trouble to give me the benefit of your expertise. I'm looking forward to hearing some more of your sound chips via future SLW locos!

Jeff

My O Gauge 08 with Pauls Protodrive is phenomenal, a real gutsy sound, and with all the function of Buffering, coupling, uncoupling 0n F8 and many other great features and having heard the SLW 24 I've ordered Pauls Sound file for my Heljan O Gauge 25 today. 

All the best.

Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My O Gauge 08 with Pauls Protodrive is phenomenal, a real gutsy sound, and with all the function of Buffering, coupling, uncoupling 0n F8 and many other great features and having heard the SLW 24 I've ordered Pauls Sound file for my Heljan O Gauge 25 today. 

All the best.

Andy.

Yes Andy, the sound is great - and I'm not normally too bothered about sound in locos. 

I appreciate Paul's advice and I'd be very surprised if I haven't sorted out a new DCC system by next summer. I actually remember discussing the issue with Jason nearly 2 years ago. I guess if you're layout building, train running becomes a secondary issue.

Jeff

Jeff

Jeff,

You have a solid and reliable system,  capable of being updated/upgraded for relatively modest costs to a system to meet your needs, which you think it's about time to replace.

That sounds like a 'Modernisation Plan' to me. Careful what you wish for. Ha ha.

Sounds like your neighbours will appreciate you being able to access the volume controls too.

(In the meantime, CV266 can be used to change the volume, default value is,I think, 120. Don't go much higher than this, but lower values will reduce the volume, around 64 should still be pretty good in a normal domestic environment).

Kind regards,

Paul

With regard to Pauls comment above about setting Volumes, most of my Diesels are set between 40 and about 60 depending on the Chip and which speaker is fitted and for home use that's about right, you can have 2 or 3 running and still talk quite comfortably above it, and be heard easily.

• RMweb Premium

Re: the five plank in the dock, it looks to be a variant of one of these, a BR built five plank although the kit used is a Hybar one. I filled in the holes for the tarp bar and for this example, used a different Parkside underframe kit to make it an example with LMS 'J' suspension and clasp brakes.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_02_2016/post-9707-0-04312400-1454932567.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info, Paul and Andy. I'll have a play with some CVs when the locos return to the Bunker.

Jason, you are trying to corrupt me into building loads more kits. Good, I'm all in favour of it, but I'm going to need some tutoring work when, eventually, you make it up here. Looking like January now, as December is filling out?

3-links, kits and diesel-related EM are on my list of things to do. As well as play!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

RTR alone doesn't provide anywhere near the diversity of wagons we all need, especially when it comes to the humble five plank wagon (of which there were hundreds of thousands). It's more a case of making sure you don't fall into the all-to-common mistake of just having 16 ton minerals, vans and a handful of other random wagons.

• RMweb Premium

RTR alone doesn't provide anywhere near the diversity of wagons we all need, especially when it comes to the humble five plank wagon (of which there were hundreds of thousands). It's more a case of making sure you don't fall into the all-to-common mistake of just having 16 ton minerals, vans and a handful of other random wagons.

Anhydrite hoppers...