RMweb

Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Morning Jeff,

I'm really looking forward to the products of your visit to Jason. If you get reasonably close to the standard that Jason sets himself as 'normal', you'll produce (eventually?) some truly delightful stock! He really is a one-off : so busy at work as well as Bacup and The Mill but yet he still finds time to help and advise numpties in the hobby, like me!

Have a safe trip and a truly enjoyable time,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Never mind. A bag full of Parkside goodies awaits you on arrival

Don't forget those anhydrite hopper kits for the 'Long Meg' Jason! Jeff's got to have something for those Spaceships to pull. I reckon he should be able to manage about 40! :O :o :O :angel:

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff,

I'm really looking forward to the products of your visit to Jason. If you get reasonably close to the standard that Jason sets himself as 'normal', you'll produce (eventually?) some truly delightful stock! He really is a one-off : so busy at work as well as Bacup and The Mill but yet he still finds time to help and advise numpties in the hobby, like me!

Have a safe trip and a truly enjoyable time,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock.

I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun. Even if, as usual, we only end up in the curry house!

Don't forget those anhydrite hopper kits for the 'Long Meg' Jason! Jeff's got to have something for those Spaceships to pull. I reckon he should be able to manage about 40! :O :o :O :angel:

Regards

Bill

Heee heee, Bill. Even Jason's baulked at the prospect of assembling a few of these kits. My Spaceships will have something to pull - eventually!

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

:scratchhead:  :scratchhead: :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:  

Sorry if the 2515 was confusing - it looks like a non-existent clock time, doesn't it?

It referred to my remark about OTT bunker design to cope with the once in 500 year force 12 storm. So 2515 being 500 years on....

Mick, good guess - but no secret Armageddon code. Or are you a Mason and know something I don't?  :O  :O

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The heaters are on. The bunker seemed marginally warmer than yesterday, despite the frost and smattering of snow - though I may be kidding myself...

Today's target is to finish insulating another corner of the bunker and prepare the next ply sheet for lifting into place this evening. We'll just have to see what happens!

Jeff

• Like 5

Sorry if the 2515 was confusing - it looks like a non-existent clock time, doesn't it?

It referred to my remark about OTT bunker design to cope with the once in 500 year force 12 storm. So 2515 being 500 years on....

Mick, good guess - but no secret Armageddon code. Or are you a Mason and know something I don't?  :O  :O

Jeff

I was in the Scouts (motto: Be Prepared), does that count :boast:

• RMweb Premium

Mick and Mike: Your scouts only count if they have the requisite badge on the "Stiffness of materials" or a pass in the "Practical use of power tools in the early 21st century"...

Alternatively, they may have a qualification in psychotherapy - especially related to those modellers who insist on building 00 support structures more appropriate to G gauge (not that I'm aware of anyone with such a condition!)

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And then there were five (all down to those scouts, you know):

Corner insulated...

post-13778-0-56300100-1423087494_thumb.jpg

Ply drilled and positioned ready for hoisting...

post-13778-0-31783000-1423087498_thumb.jpg

Et voila - ply magically held in place....

post-13778-0-74779300-1423087502_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 9

Mick and Mike: Your scouts only count if they have the requisite badge on the "Stiffness of materials" or a pass in the "Practical use of power tools in the early 21st century"...

Alternatively, they may have a qualification in psychotherapy - especially related to those modellers who insist on building 00 support structures more appropriate to G gauge (not that I'm aware of anyone with such a condition!)

Jeff

This is the first time these have seen the light of day for 50 years.

I bet there is one there that meets the requirements :scratchhead:

post-15323-0-67589500-1423089316_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Jeff

I don't really think anyone could accuse you of over-engineering Jeff. Built to last perhaps? After all, it's a truism that every successful layout needs a firm foundation.........even if it does make Mr. Brunel's timber trestles look a bit flimsy by comparison! :declare:

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't really think anyone could accuse you of over-engineering Jeff. Built to last perhaps? After all, it's a truism that every successful layout needs a firm foundation.........even if it does make Mr. Brunel's timber trestles look a bit flimsy by comparison! :declare:

Bill

Well said, Bill! My philosophy exactly. My approach is that if you build it "properly" (not the " ""!!) then you only have to build it once and, hopefully, it'll serve its purpose.

Of course, I took the same approach with KL and it was the devil's worst nightmare trying to dismantle it!!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, does the ply tuck in at the end? There doesn't seem to be a cross-joist to support it.

Great work though - it'll soon be toasty...

The simple answer is "no". The distance across the bunker, after the insulation etc, is just on 510cm. Each ply sheet is 244.5cm long, so there's a gap at the end of around 21cm. A piece of ply will be fitted in here.

The photo shows the joist supports available to hold the ply. Some was part of the existing garage structure, but I've also allowed a bit of overlap on some of my cross-joists.

post-13778-0-39945100-1423158131_thumb.jpg

The 6th sheet of ply is due in place later this evening.

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Little button needed for 'That is just greedy'

Mick, I didn't know whether to give you a "funny" or "agree" for that comment. You got the latter. Without digressing too much - Bingley curries are superb. Both myself and Jason can't get enough of them.

Back onto topic - 6th piece of ply fitted. No pics - it all looks similar to yesterday... wood, ply, wood, ply, screws, ply, wood, a joist, a hammer, wood, ply....

I'm going to start on the frames for the other garage door tomorrow. Oh, btw - I measured the width incorrectly earlier. I have a clear 530cm, not 510cm. Ooooh, the joys of 20cm (!!!!)

Jeff

• Like 1

I'm going to start on the frames for the other garage door tomorrow. Oh, btw - I measured the width incorrectly earlier. I have a clear 530cm, not 510cm. Ooooh, the joys of 20cm (!!!!)

cm :nono:

Proper engineers use millimetres, 1000 to the metre.  Dressmakers and Tailors use centimetres for measuring cloth, like most clothes they have either stretched or shrunk hence your centimetres aren't what they were when you started.

Garage is looking good mate, so we'll have some Wagon pics by Saturday, or will the Currie get the better of you both, and leave you just Far*ing all day and fitting   THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIGHTING for the Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :O  :O  :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

cm :nono:

Proper engineers use millimetres, 1000 to the metre.  Dressmakers and Tailors use centimetres for measuring cloth, like most clothes they have either stretched or shrunk hence your centimetres aren't what they were when you started.

Yes, Mick. but I'm NOT an engineer. As a scientist, brought up and raised on SI units, I should be quoting lengths in metres. To be honest, when it comes to woodwork and bricklaying, I'd just as soon quote good old feet and inches. Everyone of a certain age has a feel for Imperial, don't they.

I mean, 6 inches or 15cm. Take your choice!  :angel:  :no:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Garage is looking good mate, so we'll have some Wagon pics by Saturday, or will the Currie get the better of you both, and leave you just Far*ing all day and fitting for the Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :O  :O  :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  

I'll try my best to get some pics up on Saturday but can't guarantee to. Far*ing - definitely. Hope Sofia's out!

Pity you weren't there to study my "efforts"!!

Jeff

EDIT: The effort refers to the wagon-building - NOT the far*ing!!

Edited by Physicsman

Yes, Mick. but I'm NOT an engineer. As a scientist, brought up and raised on SI units, I should be quoting lengths in metres. To be honest, when it comes to woodwork and bricklaying, I'd just as soon quote good old feet and inches. Everyone of a certain age has a feel for Imperial, don't they.

I mean, 6 inches or 15cm. Take your choice!  :angel:  :no:

Jeff

I like confusing the youngsters that I work with by asking for things to be cut in imperial measurements :sungum:  :sungum:

• Like 3