Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Sounds a bit like the story of the couple who moved into an old house, and got a large electricity bill. They turned everything off and still the meter went round, so they called the electric board out. They turned up just after 5 pm in winter. The elecy man was puzzelled and decided to pull the main fuse to see if the meter stopped then. It did, but strangely outside went dark too. It transpired that the street lights were wired via their meter!

I like the idea of the tell tale lamp outside, its a via good idea.

Andy G

Many years ago, I was 'doing up' an old house. One of the improvements was to take out the overhead electricity supply which came into a meter in the roof (I jest not!) and put in an underground supply feeding a meter in a cupboard in the hallway. To save costs, I did all the heavy work and the SEB moved the supply. When our neighbours came back from holiday two weeks later, they found they had had no power! They were not impressed as they had a full deep freeze. When the SEB came to sort out the problem, they traced their supply to the party wall in the roof space. It seems their supply had been fed from the input side of our meter, so when that was disconnected, whoops. The SEB accepted no responsibilty, would not reimburse the cost of spoiled food in the freezer and charged them a lot of money to put in a new supply. Our neighbours didn't talk to us after that!

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago, I was 'doing up' an old house. One of the improvements was to take out the overhead electricity supply which came into a meter in the roof (I jest not!) and put in an underground supply feeding a meter in a cupboard in the hallway. To save costs, I did all the heavy work and the SEB moved the supply. When our neighbours came back from holiday two weeks later, they found they had had no power! They were not impressed as they had a full deep freeze. When the SEB came to sort out the problem, they traced their supply to the party wall in the roof space. It seems their supply had been fed from the input side of our meter, so when that was disconnected, whoops. The SEB accepted no responsibilty, would not reimburse the cost of spoiled food in the freezer and charged them a lot of money to put in a new supply. Our neighbours didn't talk to us after that!

Hi John

Not your fault and not SEBs fault.

The moral of that story is don't go on holiday while your neighbours are messing about with their house. God knows what they will do to yours. :declare:

All said in jest as I don't want to see a debate over who's at fault, and I don't think John does either.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the tales of electricity-related woe, folks.

At risk of a "sausage-type" digression a la Bitton, I'd suggest the thread returns to KL2-build related aspects.

I shall certainly endeavour not to leave my soldering iron on, when I get that far. And pinching next-doors energy supply.....

Jeff

Evening Jeff,

The walls are looking very good but you're going to need climbing gear to get to the work face tomorrow! I may have missed it, but have you said what you intend to coat the ply surface with?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff,

The walls are looking very good but you're going to need climbing gear to get to the work face tomorrow! I may have missed it, but have you said what you intend to coat the ply surface with?

Kind regards,

Jock.

Morning Jock.

You haven't missed any announcements. I'm just going to paint the ply with matt emulsion (magnolia) - it took 3 coats last time. Pretty boring, but effective. I painted the ceiling with matt white emulsion (onto plasterboard) and will probably do the same this time.

I've got the heater on in the bunker. And you're right - I'm running out of available work space. I may have to move stuff out of the garage temporarily to allow me to build the door frame - but that's Friday's problem!

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks for the tales of electricity-related woe, folks.

At risk of a "sausage-type" digression a la Bitton, I'd suggest the thread returns to KL2-build related aspects.

I shall certainly endeavour not to leave my soldering iron on, when I get that far. And pinching next-doors energy supply.....

Jeff

Sorry, won't happen again!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, won't happen again!

John, absolutely no need to apologise!

The discussion was interesting, but my experience of threads on here (including KL) is that after a few anecdotes the discussion winds well away from the core subject. So I'm trying to keep the thread "tight" once some valid points have been made.

The last thing I want to do is to discourage anybody from contributing - and you're becoming one of the Lunester mob, and your comments are much appreciated!

For true "woffle", as you well know - I set up the Lounge where (just about) anything goes!

So thanks again, especially for your understanding. At least it wasn't those damned sausages!  :D  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

• Like 5

For true "woffle", as you well know - I set up the Lounge where (just about) anything goes!

So thanks again, especially for your understanding. At least it wasn't those damned sausages!  :D  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

Jeff, why don't you put a link to the Lounge in your signature, a lot of new comers will be unaware of its existance and purpose, something like:

For all off topic conversation please use the Lunster Lounge at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67999-lunester-lounge/page-330

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, why don't you put a link to the Lounge in your signature, a lot of new comers will be unaware of its existance and purpose, something like:

For all off topic conversation please use the Lunster Lounge at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67999-lunester-lounge/page-330

Consider it done, Mick.

Though whether anybody ever looks at my signature is open to question!!

Jeff

• Like 3

John, absolutely no need to apologise!

The discussion was interesting, but my experience of threads on here (including KL) is that after a few anecdotes the discussion winds well away from the core subject. So I'm trying to keep the thread "tight" once some valid points have been made.

The last thing I want to do is to discourage anybody from contributing - and you're becoming one of the Lunester mob, and your comments are much appreciated!

Jeff

Quite right Jeff, I'm trying to do the same with Bitton now that I am actually Building a Layout, and not fettling a Shed.

• RMweb Premium

I know you like a picture or two, where possible. Here's 2 from this morning:

post-13778-0-96325600-1421866144_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-36360300-1421866150_thumb.jpg

The problem here was the door runners. In the previous bunker I just removed them. In this case I may need to open the doors, so the runners stay. The frame was fitted round the wall support and the usual insulation chucked in.

I did a fair bit this morning, even though it was a bit cold out there. Then I ran out of 4" and 5" screws. So that's the first task for tomorrow - buy some!

Jeff

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I wish I could summon up the same enthusiasm to get started on my garage based (new) layout. I'm not being idle, I just seem to keep finding things that are (slightly) more appealing.

What you've done so far looks brilliant and I for one would have chickened out weeks ago with the current temperatures (or invested in a mighty powerful heater).

• Like 5

I wish I could summon up the same enthusiasm to get started on my garage based (new) layout. I'm not being idle, I just seem to keep finding things that are (slightly) more appealing.

What you've done so far looks brilliant and I for one would have chickened out weeks ago with the current temperatures (or invested in a mighty powerful heater).

Morning Ray, Jeff can see the bigger picture, and having got it half done once, (about 18 Months ago now) he cant wait to get to that state again soon, (well about another 18 Months I guess).

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ray.

I'd say "insane" is a good way to describe my approach at the moment. Once I get started I don't want to stop.

It was marginally warmer in the bunker today - or maybe it was all in my mind!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning Ray, Jeff can see the bigger picture, and having got it half done once, (about 18 Months ago now) he cant wait to get to that state again soon, (well about another 18 Months I guess).

I hope I can get to the state that KL was - as at demolition - in half that time. That's a hope - I think it's realistic, but we'll just have to wait and see. There's a garden to continue building, of course!

Having said that, the garden can be the day job, quick snack and into the bunker for the night shift...

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's today's photos.

The first 2 show the area I was working on yesterday, now with its ply covering:

post-13778-0-20978100-1421947161_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-03045800-1421947166_thumb.jpg

The next shows a general view of the ply walling:

post-13778-0-14409200-1421947205_thumb.jpg

The last shows one of the two frames that will fit under the door runners next to the door. There'll be a companion - I'll build it tomorrow. I've done it this way so they're not too big to be moved around when built in advance. The logic will be clear at the weekend when I have a few hours window of opportunity to put loads of stuff out onto the drive, fit the frames, then move stuff back in. Well, that's the plan!

This is the base frame that will hold 75mm insulation. It'll have a front layer - as per the previous frames of 50mm.

post-13778-0-41040500-1421947433_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 8

The logic will be clear at the weekend when I have a few hours window of opportunity to put loads of stuff out onto the drive, fit the frames, then move stuff back in. Well, that's the plan!

I thought you had a new shed(summer house) to put all your stuff in while you worked in the bunker :scratchhead:

Looks like you are doing what I do and just shift stuff around while you work :jester:

Coming on good though Jeff, once that ceiling is enclosed it will make the world of difference to heating and being comfortable.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I thought you had a new shed(summer house) to put all your stuff in while you worked in the bunker :scratchhead:

Looks like you are doing what I do and just shift stuff around while you work :jester:

Coming on good though Jeff, once that ceiling is enclosed it will make the world of difference to heating and being comfortable.

All the exercise gear and a table/chairs went into the summer house. We also bought a shed - loads of garden tools/mowers went in there. Still tons of stuff in the bunker: a washing machine/fridge/freezer and 2 tumble dryers for starters - all in perfect condition. The result of combining 2 house's worth into one (bigger) one.

I'm shifting stuff around but a lot can be organised under the baseboards when I get to that stage. Pain in the ar*e though - especially for tomorrow. I've planned out the sequence of moves that stuff needs to do in the morning to allow me to get to the garage door....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, running out of screws? I thought you'd have had a reliable stock system after KL1.

Looking good though and at least it will be warm or cool as required very soon

I had a couple of bags of loose screws - 500 or so - and some boxes of screws. The latter appeared - then disappeared - when I was shifting boxes the other day! The bag of 500 was mostly 2" or smaller screws. I ran out of 3" and 4" varieties... Oh well, I've got a few more now - enough, I hope.

The bunker will gradually become more habitable. I'm mainly chuffed because I'm actually DOING something instead of just thinking about it!!

Jeff

• Like 6