Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Which reminds me, I will need to put AJ's on one end of a few wagons as the locos earmarked for loan are now AJ fitted. They still have hooks which could be used with three links but to run in rakes with the ability to swap locos, AJ's are easier (that is what is done on BCB).

Sounds sensible and I know you understand what you are doing.

I'll bring a couple of wagons with me as I need a "three link fitting refresher" - which should take all of 5 minutes!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

It'll be the morning now until I can make further progress. The constraints imposed by plaster setting and PVA drying times can be a real pain, but what's the hurry?

So for the last 20 minutes I've been sat in the operating well, adjacent to the stream end, surveying the sights. And, as Kev pointed out the other day, you'd be hard-pressed to realise there was a railway line anywhere near. All that's visible is the Fell towering above, the stream and viaduct, and the occasional fence-line or wall in the line of view. Very rural, and a reminder how grateful I am to the railway for giving me an excuse to indulge in some landscape building!!

Jeff

I totally mis-read that last sentence and thought you'd been sat in the stream for the last 20 minutes! I had horrid thoughts of a flood, or you'd had yourself 3D printed and gone walkies down the river!  That stream does look superb, you just need a little DCC speaker hidden in a rock to give the sound of flowing water .... mind you, if I may add a further suggestion, should you proceed with that idea make sure the walkway to the loo is clear - you may find your self using it more frequently!! :) Great work tho

Andy is at his virtual reality modelling again! I sometimes think he enjoys that more than actual scenic work :) hehe!  Does look quite attractive tho!

I like your idea of the 3mm ply section, to give you something to work with, without continually going back to the layout with a tape measure (which would be my inefficient way of working!!) 

Also, if you need a three-link fitting refresher ... have you seen the uncoupling poles that are being sold my somebody known as Marsh Lane (oh thats me!!!) on here - they are magnetic and make dealing with three-links easy.  Andy Y has reviewed one in the latest BRM.  Just a thought for you ... not my product, just acting as the front man selling them, but they're good in my opinion! :) I'll put me' megaphone away now!

Great to see the progress as ever Jeff, and your teasing us beyond all doubt now - all this superb scenery, ballasted track .... and now you tell us TRAINS may make an appearance, good god! We'll be back to those moving sheep on the fell next!!! :)  :jester:

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rich,

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply. I've been very busy with things that are totally non-rail over the last few days. In fact, I think the longest I've spent in the bunker since Thursday is around 30 minutes.

Thanks for the info on the couplings. I'm not committing to anything at the moment. In fact, much to the dismay of some previous posters on here (probably why they don't post any more), rolling stock is just not a priority in my mind. I'll be playing choo-choos ad-infinitum once the layout itself is built, so they can wait.

A few jobs - time-fillers really - as mentioned in my last post. And too many other things to spend time modifying wagons etc at the moment. I've a number of equally important hobbies - which have really been squeezed over the last 5 years and, to be honest, it's about time I put a bit more time into them.

Thanks for the very positive comments. My philosophy has always been to TRY to do the best I can. I think that if you give it your "best shot" then you can't have any recriminations. That's one of the reasons why I went EM - I didn't want to think, in a year or so, "what if"....

I may go and do a bit of wall building. The insulated Bunker is lovely and fresh compared to the outside and house!

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Can totally understand that - work and family life is getting in the way totally at this end too!  Your getting more modelling done than I am, if thats any comfort!!  As for the trains and rolling stock.  Yours is one of those layouts that can be admired without any movement!  I keep thinking of sitting on that hillside near Dent Viaduct (have I got the name right??) just beyond the north end of Blea Moor Tunnel ... in the summer sunshine waiting ages for a train to come so I can lift the camera and take a picture.  Every so often, the dog will get restless and want a game of ball ... which occupies five minutes before relaxing back again until the distance sounds of wheels over jointed rail.  Looking at your pictures of the fell and the viaduct just brings that image back to mind!

Enjoy your walling :)

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently doing a bit of walling and a small amount of additional grassing. Nothing that's any different from what's been done before. "Treading water", you might say!

In the absence of anything new, I thought I might post a collection of pics showing the layout as it stands, say, at the end of this week. Again, nothing new, but something to look at?

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

After a very quiet week on here, I should be able to get some new pics on here this evening.

Then I'll do a couple of posts with summary shots of the layout, as it stands at the moment.

Feels like a crawl, but encouraging if you look back 6 months or so and see what's changed!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here's a collection showing the "lots of little bits" that I've done at the overbridge/cutting end:

Backscenes added

"Low-relief" banking in front of the cutting backscene

Further walling on the hillside (I can't do any more at the moment as I need easy access for point-rodding/ballasting)

Grass on the hillside

A short addition to the lane wall and short section of post/wire fencing in the field

Rails cleaned - may be time to run a loco...

post-13778-0-20890100-1498227288_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-75217300-1498226992_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-69363000-1498227332_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-04745400-1498227116_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-67664900-1498227184_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-70627100-1498227244_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Nice set of pics jeff showing the road bridge area.

Really is coming along nicely,it looks far too nice & peaceful to be running any trains!

Ben

Thanks Ben.

There's still a few things to do in that area, including some additions to the low-relief bank and a bit more vegetation. But that's for later.

As you say, the scene was too peaceful to disturb with trains!

Btw, how have you got on with your latest grass attempts?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I said I'd post a collection of the layout, "as is". I've taken a batch of pics. Here's the first, covering the viaduct and stream areas. I'll put the rest on here tomorrow.

Viaduct:

post-13778-0-46808900-1498246023_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-63456000-1498246087_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-07059000-1498246155_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-33097500-1498246221_thumb.jpg

Stream:

post-13778-0-19247600-1498246287_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-85554900-1498246353_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-22718800-1498246424_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-56852800-1498246485_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-84732100-1498246558_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 15

Stunning photos jeff,looks fantastic.

As for my own static grass,still only done a couple of test pieces,struggling to find the time with work & a 3 year old daughter at the moment!

But i will get back up in the loft soon!

Cheers

Ben

• RMweb Premium

Looking very nice indeed Jeff, I cant wait to see it some day.

I'm sure you will, Andy.

Here's the second batch of "as is" pics, which may be of interest.....

Station area:

post-13778-0-24902700-1498299395_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-45951800-1498299447_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-81076300-1498299515_thumb.jpg

Goods Yard area:

post-13778-0-72514900-1498299576_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-69430900-1498299635_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-50745000-1498299697_thumb.jpg

Fell:

post-13778-0-74042400-1498300108_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-30501000-1498300163_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-21046800-1498300202_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-54976700-1498299961_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi jeff,

Wow! Very impressive. Several of you shots look like they could be real postcards! Who needs trains!!

I'm looking at scenic options for mine at the moment ... can you (if you know) point me towards the post, or rough date period, that you built your viaduct?? Been trying to find it back on the thread but haven't yet!

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Hi jeff,

Wow! Very impressive. Several of you shots look like they could be real postcards! Who needs trains!!

I'm looking at scenic options for mine at the moment ... can you (if you know) point me towards the post, or rough date period, that you built your viaduct?? Been trying to find it back on the thread but haven't yet!

Rich

Rich, you'll need to go back to July 2012 and the original KL thread, link below:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53448-kirkby-luneside-ready-for-the-new-year/page-9

The construction goes from about the foot of page 9 to about page 22. I built 2 viaducts, as you'll see. The whole thing took around 5 weeks. I wish I had a reason to build another one now - larger, preferably. I'd enjoy it and it'd probably be quicker. The viaduct was the first scratchbuilt structure I'd ever built.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jeff,

Given how superb yours has worked out, I may have to commission you! That way you'll get your wish lol!!

Currently having a break in Wales, so sending this from the edge of a 3G network sat beside a river in blissful peace! Not quite S&C country, but just up my street for peace and quiet!!

Rich

• Like 3

Here's the second batch of "as is" pics, which may be of interest.....

Fell:

I have to say this railway in the landscape is "Gobsmackingly Brilliant", there is no button to press which conveys what we all think. 

It just shows what a barren place the S&C is, yet you have made it look alive.

Other than perhaps in the station area I would not over-populating with people.

Even the Fells do not need sheep everywhere, perhaps just a small number congregated around a gate or water trough in couple of places would be enough.

Once you get some rolling stock sorted I can imagine you running it in real time.

Watching a slow goods running away in the distance then start up the birdsong CD and wait half an hour with your eyes closed until the next goods goes rolling by.

You have turned your bunker into a country trainspotters paradise, lazing in the lineside grass with a cheese sandwich, Lyons pie, a bottle of Vimto and a Ian Allen ABC, what bliss. :senile:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have to say this railway in the landscape is "Gobsmackingly Brilliant", there is no button to press which conveys what we all think. 

It just shows what a barren place the S&C is, yet you have made it look alive.

Other than perhaps in the station area I would not over-populating with people.

Even the Fells do not need sheep everywhere, perhaps just a small number congregated around a gate or water trough in couple of places would be enough.

Once you get some rolling stock sorted I can imagine you running it in real time.

Watching a slow goods running away in the distance then start up the birdsong CD and wait half an hour with your eyes closed until the next goods goes rolling by.

You have turned your bunker into a country trainspotters paradise, lazing in the lineside grass with a cheese sandwich, Lyons pie, a bottle of Vimto and a Ian Allen ABC, what bliss. :senile:

Thanks for your comments Mick.

It should be the case that the "railway side" of the layout will emerge more prominently over the next year or so. Point rodding, a goods shed, signal box and main station buildings will have to be constructed, and I suppose the occasional loco or train may have to put in an appearance!

Vimto - love the stuff. It was certainly a part of my younger years - and I can still taste it now!

Jeff

Thanks for your comments Mick.

It should be the case that the "railway side" of the layout will emerge more prominently over the next year or so. Point rodding, a goods shed, signal box and main station buildings will have to be constructed, and I suppose the occasional loco or train may have to put in an appearance!

Vimto - love the stuff. It was certainly a part of my younger years - and I can still taste it now!

Jeff

You probably all know this, but 'Vimto' is an anagram of 'vomit'. How did that slip through, I wonder?

Cheers,

BR(W).

• RMweb Premium

Pretty stunning pics Jeff, your layout is set to be a classic, now where are those clerestory carriages.

Derek

Thanks Derek.

Have you been in to have your op? If so, hope it went well. If not, all the best!

Clerestorys..... I know you have a real passion for them. If you have a spare, I'm sure I could find a home for one - suitably weathered - in a disused siding! (Ignore me, I'm just being cheeky!!)

Jeff

Naughty boy Jeff, I think you should be required to write out a hundred times, " mocketh not the Midland carriages".

Thanks for your good wishes, actually I am due to go in to James Cook Hospital tomorrow at 8am for my op. I haven't said anything on this thread because of the cancellation last time. I just hope it goes ahead this time. My eldest son comes up from near St Albans each time I go in, and I feel very guilty about messing him about when things don't work out as intended

Derek

• RMweb Premium

If anyone has any news on Derek's progress (he's having a heart valve op), please post it on here.

Update: Still treading water, forward planning - and ripping up track!

I've modified the track-path through the goods shed as a result of some measurements I've made on the size and position of said goods shed, when it eventually gets built. The main shed building (excepting the attached office) comes in at 100' x 33', so I've re-positioned the through track giving me a few more options, and a few centimetres more space.

I've also added a bit of grass to further link the low-profile bank and "real" banks. Nothing exciting. Maybe a photo tomorrow.

Jeff

• Like 2