Stations Where Trains Reverse as Part of the Journey

edcayton

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if this has been mentioned but I remember reversing twice en route from Plymouth to Penrith (nice long journey) when I was a kid, that'll probably be around 1990. Gloucester and Birmingham New Street IIRC. It always took me quite a while before I accepted we weren't just going back the way we'd come.

• RMweb Premium

It wasn't a station reversal but the boat trains to Folkestone harbour reversed in the sidings east of Folkestone town before going down the very steep harbour branch.

While I think it closed back in SR days, there did actually used to be a proper station at Folkestone East - well it's shown on plenty of SECR era maps at any rate.

• RMweb Premium

Was talking to a friend about Heysham today. Looking at Google Earth it appears that you have to go into Morecambe and reverse to get there. Is this correct please?

Ed

That's quite right, Ed.  Hence the Leeds-Heysham reverses at Lancaster and then again at Morecambe.

Ulverston was a place where down trains reversed to gain access to the Lake Side branch. This was the case with seasonally dated workings from Morecambe and Blackpool.

Likewise trains reversed at Plumton Junction to and from the Conisthead Priory (or Bardsea) line to Ulverston

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't the short platform at Milton Keynes (south end of platforms 1 & 2) created to allow extension of the Bedford - Bletchley trains into MK, resulting in a reversal at Bletchley.

Did anyone mention Shrewsbury for the Cambrian services (I bet I missed that early on)

Ironically the configuration at Newcastle also allows them to avoid reversing in the station for a range of services, similarly the suburban line at Edinburgh gives that option but the last time I travelled over that we'd already had a reversal at Carstairs.

Some Glasgow to Morcambe trains reversed at Lancaster, think that was more common after electrification, similarly Glasgow to Scarborough trains reversed at York.  The comment above regarding Glasgow to Blackpool reversing at Preston was only valid after the rationalisation of the 1970s, it was possible prior to that to run via the East Lancs side of the Station, and the curves at Lostock Hall and Faringdon and therefore gain the Fylde lines without reversal!!

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't the short platform at Milton Keynes (south end of platforms 1 & 2) created to allow extension of the Bedford - Bletchley trains into MK, resulting in a reversal at Bletchley.

Did anyone mention Shrewsbury for the Cambrian services (I bet I missed that early on)

Ironically the configuration at Newcastle also allows them to avoid reversing in the station for a range of services, similarly the suburban line at Edinburgh gives that option but the last time I travelled over that we'd already had a reversal at Carstairs.

Except that the Edinburgh suburban line is not wired - and with Transport Scotland perusing electrification of ALL Edinburgh - Glasgow routes over the next 5 years or so, its value as a diversionary / avoiding reversal route will fall as electric traction increases.

In Newcastle the network of lines that allow reversal all have wires so ECML IC225 sets can take advantage of this change of direction without reversing method.

• RMweb Gold

Some Glasgow to Morcambe trains reversed at Lancaster, think that was more common after electrification, similarly Glasgow to Scarborough trains reversed at York.  The comment above regarding Glasgow to Blackpool reversing at Preston was only valid after the rationalisation of the 1970s, it was possible prior to that to run via the East Lancs side of the Station, and the curves at Lostock Hall and Faringdon and therefore gain the Fylde lines without reversal!!

Jim

Presumably the Glasgow-Scarborough trains needed a loco change at York anyway. Otherwise, a reversal would not have been necessary.

When I was a spotter in the 1980's there used to be a boat train to Felixstowe (or that area) from Manchester into Sheffield where the loco would change ends.  We used to time being there to see it.

On one of the evening trips from Manchester airport just like above the train ran to Salford Crescent reversed and ditto at Huddersfields but direct via Morley tunnel.

Whilst in Scotland in the 80's there was a train from the far north which bypassed the shed then reversed (propelled) into a south facing platform.

The mention of Limerick Jct above reminds me of a trip the other year.  There is now a bay on the Limerick/Dublin end and I caught a Waterford train that heads towards Limerick into a siding then reverses.

Going slightly continental.....

Having been to India a few times I could remind those that have not been of the Darjeeling line.  There are a number (6) reverses built into the line to gain elevation.  Plus an exciting dead end station at Kurseong where trains from Darjeeling stop in the main street amd reverese over the main road into the station.  Those from Siliguri to Darjeeling reverse out of the station before heading up the main street.

Whilst in Scotland in the 80's there was a train from the far north which bypassed the shed then reversed (propelled) into a south facing platform.

That would be the evening train from Kyle of Lochalsh coming into Inverness, made it easy to get the loco and stock back out to the sidings and shed.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Presumably the Glasgow-Scarborough trains needed a loco change at York anyway. Otherwise, a reversal would not have been necessary.

No. Trains from Glasgow arrive in York from the north and leave northbound towards Scarborough; a reversal is unavoidable. Not sure about now, but there used to be only one platform 4? in which such trains could reverse.

• RMweb Gold

Jim

It was amusing to see the expressions on passengers' faces as they passed through Preston for the second time inside about 25 minutes but in the opposite direction.

No. Trains from Glasgow arrive in York from the north and leave northbound towards Scarborough; a reversal is unavoidable. Not sure about now, but there used to be only one platform 4? in which such trains could reverse.

Possibly what Joseph_Pestell was referring to was that it was possible for a freight to access the Scarborough line from the north via the goods lines, but I stand to be corrected but I don't know if passenger services were permitted over that route

Jim

It was amusing to see the expressions on passengers' faces as they passed through Preston for the second time inside about 25 minutes but in the opposite direction.

was that actually done in practice? was it really easier to do that than swap the ends the loco was at in the platforms?

was that actually done in practice? was it really easier to do that than swap the ends the loco was at in the platforms?

Yes it was, saved time detaching the loco that had come down from the North, and attaching a fresh loco for the relatively short haul to Blackpool, so prevented a lot of light locomotive  moves and loco turning.  Preston was incredibly busy on Summer Saturdays so time spent in a platform was at a premium.

Edit to add this link - very interesting http://www.gensheet.co.uk/gamefiles/Preston1964.PDF

Jim

Archived