Stations Where Trains Reverse as Part of the Journey

edcayton

A friend was telling me that on a train journey to Manchester the train reversed at Sheffield and went back the way it had come for a while (he is blind so couldn't see what was happening). He was astonished by this  but I said there were loads of examples.  Well, I thought of Bere Alston, Battersby, Fort William and Inverness? and couldn't think of any more, so how many can we come up with?

I'm thinking more of the present day rather than historic.

TiA

Ed

• RMweb Gold

A friend was telling me that on a train journey to Manchester the train reversed at Sheffield and went back the way it had come for a while (he is blind so couldn't see what was happening). He was astonished by this  but I said there were loads of examples.  Well, I thought of Bere Alston, Battersby, Fort William and Inverness? and couldn't think of any more, so how many can we come up with?

I'm thinking more of the present day rather than historic.

TiA

Ed

That same train would have also reversed at Ely assuming it was a Liverpool Norwich device.

Norwich sheringham trains also reverse at Cromer

• RMweb Gold

Are any Nottingham - Lincoln trains currently scheduled to serve Newark Northgate by reversal? 

Service would be so much better if they reinstated the GN route due south from Newark and got rid of the dangerous crossing on the level of the main line.

The "Thames Clyde Express" (London St.Pancras to Glasgow) used to reverse twice, At Nottingham Midland and Leeds City.

Travelled on it once, on a rover ticket, Leicester to Carlisle.

Brit15

The "Thames Clyde Express" (London St.Pancras to Glasgow) used to reverse twice, At Nottingham Midland and Leeds City.

Travelled on it once, on a rover ticket, Leicester to Carlisle.

Brit15

I can think of another express that did this!

• RMweb Gold

I know it's not a current service but the Middlesbrough Scarborough dmu's used to reserve at Battersby, Whitby town, Prospect hill and again at Falsgrave to access Scarborough station

• RMweb Gold

Bristol Temple Meads

Gloucester Central

Swansea

Llanelli

Shrewsbury

Redhill

Manchester Piccadilly

Edinburgh Waverley

Going back in time:

Sittingbourne

Folkestone East

Dorchester South (well perhaps setting back should not count)

Templecombe (ditto)

Sidmouth Jct

St Erth

Chester

• RMweb Gold

Aren't some of the Southern services to Southampton also diagrammed to reverse at Eastleigh to maintain diversionary route knowledge for train crew?

• RMweb Gold

Do services from Tonbridge still reverse at Redhill before continuing via Reigate?

Not sure if they still run through, but trains between Reading and Gatwick definitely still reverse at Redhill. 

A couple of through trains from Reading to Henley-On-Thames reverse at Twyford but one isn't advertised as a through train.

Archived