Stations Where Trains Reverse as Part of the Journey

edcayton

• RMweb Gold

Someone mentioned the former South West Trains Plymouth/Penzance to Waterloo reversing at Exeter St Davids; this service finished Dec 2009 (5 years ago!). But Paington to Exmouth trains do still reverse there.

Carmathen has been mentioned too, I remember catching a Milford Haven to Paddington service in the late 80s which reversed at Carmarthen AND Swansea!

The use of this seemingly "ghost" line is something of a mystery,as is the construction of a new platform at Chesterfield.Are there plans afoot to reintroduce passenger services on a regular timetable along this line ....this facility seems little used since its construction? My only experiences are the special trains run to Barrow Hill on gala days,a special excursion from Lincoln to Carlisle via the S&C and a bizarre incident one Saturday evening in 2011 when a late evening XC service from Sheffield to New Street failed to stop as advertised at Chesterfield and had to reverse wrong line for a mile to regain the station.....the driver had the cringing experience of walking back through the Voyager to regain the other cab.Oops! Yes ,it did happen.

Used it this very evening, late running XC service in P1 and my Norwich-Manchester train used P3. It also allowed an ECS working to Derby a clear run through P2.

It was used extensively during the Nottingham blockade, Liverpool-Norwich services splitting there, then the two cars for Norwich heading down the Erewash through Toton to EM Parkway. The other two were taken empty to Derby to join up with the two from Norwich.  

One other famous one. Reversal at Dorchester South on Weymouth - Bournemouth SR turns.

Hi,

This wasn't a reversal as all it involved was an up train setting back into the terminal platform at South and then setting off again towards Bournemouth - no reversal of the train took place in the way the thread intended.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Not mentioned so far is Chester. Arriva Trains Wales runs an aprox. hourly Holyhead-Chester-Cardiff or Birmingham International. These cover the line from Saltney Junction to Chester twice.

Merf.

Similarly, travelling Bangor-Birmingham International direct (for the Warley Show) into and reverse out of the bay platform at Chester and south to Shrewsbury.

Another reverse Show route we experienced was via Crewe with reverse at Stockport then southbound to Chesterfield with shuttle service in and out of Barrow Hill.

Someone mentioned the former South West Trains Plymouth/Penzance to Waterloo reversing at Exeter St Davids; this service finished Dec 2009 (5 years ago!). But Paington to Exmouth trains do still reverse there.

Carmathen has been mentioned too, I remember catching a Milford Haven to Paddington service in the late 80s which reversed at Carmarthen AND Swansea!

Try a Pompey/ Soton- Milford Haven service; reversals at Bristol TM, Swansea and Carmarthen...

Hi

I remember travelling on a NE-SW HST sometime in the early 1990s. It called at Gloucester and "reversed" out.

As it left, a lady sat near us became most concerned that it was going the wrong way.

The Senior Conductor (remember them?) happened to be in our coach at the time and it took him all his powers of persuasion and explanation to allay her fears!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I can confirm that Southern reverse a Brighton/Southampton service in platforms 2 and 3 at Eastleigh about four or six times a day, I work those quite often.

A couple of early morning and late evening Coastway West services do still dip into and out of Littlehampton during the course of their journey, in the case of the very first one of the morning from Barnham to Brighton, its mainly for staffing purposes (both picking up the night cleaners going home and dropping off train crew).

There have been no booked through services from East to West Coastway and vice versa for some time now,  With only the one platform, number 3 at Brighton and having to cross the main line from there to reach the east it caused way too much hassle.

Surprised not to see a mention of Newcastle.

Pretty sure some ECML services reverse there from time to time.

Newcastle is sometimes also used for turning trains to get the first class at the correct end by entering or leaving the station via the High Level Bridge instead of the King Edward Bridge.

On their normal routes, EC services don't get turned as to result in sets in reverse formation.

Where this has happened due to a diversion, Newcastle via the High Level Bridge is routinely used as the easiest way of turning them back to the correct formation.

It's also useful at times to turn a set when a fault affects driving from one end

Depending on pathing, I think some of the through local services also reverse at Newcastle - trains for the ECML South, Durham Coast (via Sunderland), or the Carlisle line can all arrive / depart the station in either direction.

They can even depart and arrive back at Newcastle - without reversing!

• RMweb Premium

They did. I remember getting on one after leaving a ship at the Riverside passenger terminal to go to London but that was back in 1967 so i'm not sure when that ended.

Tilbury Riverside closed in 94 I believe - around the time the LTSR finally got its antiquated and unreliable 1930s / 1950s / 1960s signalling replaced. I believe that passenger numbers were extremely low at the riverside and its abolition would save a considerable amount of money. Its replacement was a minibus service (yes passenger numbers were that low) that ran from Tilbury town to connect with the Gravesend ferry. IIRC it is still a franchise commitment that it runs.....

However a few years after it had been closed it was redeveloped as a container terminal - though whether this was anticipated in the resignaling scheme (i.e. the turnouts onto the main line heading east & west being left in place or being abolished then relayed aa few years later) is something others will have to comment on.

• RMweb Premium

Tilbury Riverside closed in 94 I believe - around the time the LTSR finally got its antiquated and unreliable 1930s / 1950s / 1960s signalling replaced. I believe that passenger numbers were extremely low at the riverside and its abolition would save a considerable amount of money. Its replacement was a minibus service (yes passenger numbers were that low) that ran from Tilbury town to connect with the Gravesend ferry. IIRC it is still a franchise commitment that it runs.....

However a few years after it had been closed it was redeveloped as a container terminal - though whether this was anticipated in the resignaling scheme (i.e. the turnouts onto the main line heading east & west being left in place or being abolished then relayed aa few years later) is something others will have to comment on.

The reversing caused operational problems before the re-signaling. The reason for closure was as you said the drop off in passenger numbers using the service. Ironically there are more people using the terminal since its development as a cruise terminal. Even the ferry is busier requiring a full size single deck bus.

Just remembered another one, Glossop off the Woodhead route. Most services from Manchester turn right at Dinting, go to Glossop then reverse over the other side of the Dinting triangle heading to Hadfield to terminate.

I'm not sure the same happens with the Hadfield-Manchester services.

I travelled on that ferry and minibus a few years ago. I was following part of a route described in "City and Suburban" a piece from 1961 included in Bryan Morgan's "The Railway Lovers Companion" anthology. I wanted to see if it was still feasible and I'd also never really explored the riverside towns like Gravesend. It was doable but, though it encompassed quite a lot of London's early railway history, it was quite honestly a bit dull. 

For me the most remarkable sight was opposite Tilbury Town station. The first Chinese take-away I ever sampled was in 1967 while stuck on a cargo ship in Tilbury Docks about a mile walk from the Tilbury town dock gate and there it was forty years later still looking exactly as I remembered it even though everything else from trains to ships had changed completely.

It wasn't a station reversal but the boat trains to Folkestone harbour reversed in the sidings east of Folkestone town before going down the very steep harbour branch.

I have on a number of occasions had a train reverse at Grove Park - not timetabled but a response to one problem or another.

Down trains from London bridge cross over into the Bromley North line platform and then reverse and cross over to the Hither Green sidings and travel over the Lee Spur to the Dartford Loop.

Up trains on the Dartford Loop do it in reverse.

I would say I've managed this 3 or 4 times in 16 years of commuting on this route (only once on an up train).

Historically there was a train that ran from Sheerness to Brighton via Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells West. That would have included reversals at Sittingbourne, Strood and Tonbridge. (not sure if any were required south of TWW). (source - Middleton press book on the Strood to Paddock Wood line ie the Medway Valley line)

• RMweb Premium

Don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but the sleeper from Aberdeen to Euston reverses at Edinburgh.  I knew that, yet was still briefly very surprised and confused when I used it again a few months back, having gone to sleep with the scenery going left to right past my window, to open the blind and find it going right to left :scratchhead:

Battersby is the obvious one up north.

Others I can think of are trains from Doncaster, Leeds area to Scarborough, via Hull. Theres a Newcastle to Whitehaven service that reverses at Carlisle and finally the other ones I can think of are at Derby, when you get services from Birmingham and the west area that reverse to go to Nottingham, and onwards.

Archived