• 4 weeks later...

Not had time to do much until yesterday. I finished off the other bridge girder and made some more fencing at work. Yesterday I  put in the road and pavements, these are mounting board with stone flags and cobbles scribed with the back of a scalpel blade and painted with acrylics. When dry talc was rubbed in to tone the colours down.

I've been thinking about some sort of factory building to go to the right of the bridge behind the station. Barnsley was a linen town, so a stone built mill would predate the railway. The mill yard boundary wall could form the railway boundary. The later station approach would cut through part of the yard so it could have something like concrete panel fencing going off at a different angle towards the back scene.

Cheers David              

post-24880-0-97156200-1424600430_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-72523500-1424600449_thumb.jpg

Nice work the stone flags they look great

I'll be looking forward to the mill build it would be a great addition

There's a page on facebook now called Barnsley railways past and present don't know if you've seen it

it's got some real gems on there

there's a couple of pictures of pickburn and the H&B

Brian

Hi Brian.

Not seen that facebook page before, thanks for pointing it out and you're right there are some gems, especially  those of Royston and Barnsley sheds. There are pictures of 69320 and 42762 I haven't seen before. Did you see the picture of Worsbrough Dale signal box, modern looking but demolished long before the others as far as I know. Only seen it once before at a slide show.

The mill is just an idea at the moment, some thing like the one on Peel Street where the job centre is now. I used to work in it years ago, very creepy locking up at night, the sort of place where shadows move out of the corner of your eye.

Cheers David  

Hi David

I've not seen that box I'll have a look through the pictures again I didn't realise it went before the others I know went worth went earlier but non of the others was that the one with the connection into the goods yard?

I keep looking through them and keep finding ones I'd not seen before

The ones I was surprised at is the new oaks junction and box pictures I'd not seen any of that bit before all pictures id seen were taken from other end of the sidings at stairfoot

and the picture of the end of the line of the H&B just before the tunnel I thought was interesting

Brian

Hi Brian

Not seen that picture of New Oaks Jcn before, only the one in Barnsley Cudworth Royston, the great thing about that site is all the unpublished photos that will be put up. Worsbrough Dale box is brick with a concrete roof, below it is a photo of the old wooden box. I sometimes walked home from school that way in the late seventies but can't remember it. The goods yard would have

been controlled by Glasshouse or Worsbrough Bridge, but there were some sidings down onto the canal bank which could have come under Worsbrough Dale. 

Hi Peter

I've seen bridges like that at shows and I might put a period lorry and Tracky bus on there to hide the end of the road, so would need the width .

Cheers David        

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks.

Did a few jobs in the garden this afternoon and when I finished the sun was still shining, so I prised a few boards off the side of the shed and the result is shown below. I will make a wooden bung with a handle to fill the hole and a little canopy to keep the rain off.

Cheers David    

post-24880-0-41051100-1425763445_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-08075500-1425763463_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-34131700-1425763479_thumb.jpg

Guest bri.s

Didn't realise there where some sidings down into the canal thanks I'll have to look at the OS maps

Definitley some pictures of places I'd not seen before and there's more added all the time

Good to see progress into the garden

Brian

• 1 month later...

Hi folks.

Not had time to do much recently, had a few jobs to do on the car before it goes back on the road for the summer. Did get to York last week though and picked up these two characters to finish of the 4F. Also been working on the station approach and the fencing beside it.

Cheers David

post-24880-0-23079800-1428866064_thumb.jpg

Guest bri.s

Hi David

I've got to admit I don't like scribing lol it's very time consuming but definitely worth it though

Your layouts coming on nicely

Cudworths coming on slow but well lol I've built the frames and leg sets for the front scenic boards and made a start on the station building I'll send you a pm with some progress pics

Iam going to start a thread once I've a bit more progress and full internet back I'm having to make do with 3G at the moment

Brian

• 1 month later...

Not been on here for a while so just a quick update. Fed up with planting the plumbers hemp grass, I cut the first piece of track bed for the outside bit. I found a piece of MDF 9ft long in a skip for the top. the frame work  will be double skinned 3mm MDF also skip looted.

Cheers David

post-24880-0-84775700-1432539845_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-54228400-1432539865_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

Hi David ,sometimes it's better to get on with something else ,I think that's why I started having ago at point building just to get away from chimneys lol

Great find ,where is this skip lol , Wish I could find some decent wood in a skip lol

How long is the outside section ?

Looking forward to your progress

Brian

Towing a 45ft trailer around builders merchants and building sites all day helps with the skips, there's no new wood anywhere in the layout.

From the shed to the house is about 40ft, it will just be a straight run, maybe slightly uphill finishing in a cassette the same as on the side of the shed. Had to stop for now because I will try and borrow a neighbours  chop saw to keep it all square.

Cheers David  

Guest bri.s

A nice long run then for the garret to haul plenty of wagons :)

One of my favourite tools the chop saw makes things a lot easier and quicker lol

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Brian, nearly time to get some track down. I didn't know C&L track was only  available direct and by courier, I should have got some at York but I didn't want to carry it home on the train. Wanted to colour the grass I planted but can't face it tonight. I will go and tidy the shed, I might get my head around it then.

Cheers David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some colour on the grass, not much in itself but it joins the bridge to the platform so is a major boost. Might add some more colour and foliage later, but next I will work my way along the front, maybe with a wooden second platform.

Cheers David 

post-24880-0-56588800-1436118639_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Bought six metres of C&L track without paying for courier charges by visiting their factory shop near Bristol, a cunning plan involving an artic, a bike, and a trip to Plymouth. The first two metres are down, the missing sleepers will be replaced after electrical droppers have been soldered on.  

Cheers David  

post-24880-0-13591100-1436643273_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

The grass is looking nice ,and great to see some track go down on the outside section ,

How much track did you get to warrant a artic lol

And it sounds like the title of a movie lol

"An artic ,a bike and a trip to Plymouth " lol

Brian