• RMweb Premium

Hi Michael. I really need to get out on my bike more so Brierley Jn and up to the tunnel would be an interesting ride, I'll take my camera, see what I can find.

That book sounds promising Brian its about time we had another local book. Did you ever see the photos on the Barnsley archive website, don't know whether it has been taken down but I can't find it anymore. Have you seen the Tasker trust website, lots to see on there.

Hi Mick, thanks for the two photos, the one with the signal box is very useful as I am going to use Moorhouse box for the layout. I have the two photos in the Bellcode book but not one of the front. Were these taken when the branch from Wrangbrook had closed and trains had to use the curve from the Wakefield/ Doncaster line? By the way, was that your car?

You might need your wellies, the Barnsley end of the tunnel was extremely wet.

That would be great Mick thank you. I did make a drawing several years ago by counting bricks from the Belcode photo. The brick base is 16ft x 12ft above the plinth, 8ft to the top of the bricks and 21ft high to the ridge. Do you think this is anywhere close to being in proportion.

Your model looks great and thanks for the signalling diagram

Cheers David 

post-24880-0-44286600-1445067473_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-89391200-1445067482_thumb.jpg

Had a ride out on my bike this afternoon and it hurt, got off to push it twice in the first mile. Did get as far as Lundwood though. The first two photos are the H&B bridge under Pontefract road. The bottom one, I had forgot about this bridge and its twin 50 yards further on. Brierley tunnel will have to wait for another day when  I feel fitter.

Cheers David   

post-24880-0-17199000-1445197126_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-82402200-1445197136_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-90301500-1445197145_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Mick. Thanks but I'm not going to build these ones, I mentioned them in an earlier post and went to get a couple of photos as an excuse to get out on my bike. The car gets covered up for the winter  and its the bike until April so I need to get into the swing of it.

All I am looking to build in the near future is the signal box and a shed like the one on the platform at Hickleton. Was this a goods store.

Cheers David  

Hi Mick. Thanks but I'm not going to build these ones, I mentioned them in an earlier post and went to get a couple of photos as an excuse to get out on my bike. The car gets covered up for the winter  and its the bike until April so I need to get into the swing of it.

All I am looking to build in the near future is the signal box and a shed like the one on the platform at Hickleton. Was this a goods store.

Cheers David  

David, I have attached my only two pictures of Hickleton station. I presume the shed you mention is shown in one of them. Signalbox, also attached.

post-702-0-39406000-1445358950_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-20136200-1445358987_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-60418100-1445359018_thumb.jpg   

• Like 2

Hi Mick, nice photos, thanks. The shed is the one in the bottom photo. The only other photo I had seen of the station was the one in the Bellcode H&B book, I didn't realise the platforms had been reduced so much.

If the shed is a reasonable size I was thinking of putting it on the loading dock as a goods store where the plastic box is below. The sides would have to be cut off at platform level though instead of going down to ground level.

Cheers David 

post-24880-0-07666700-1445525180_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Finished another of the jobs I wanted to do before started anything new. I have been scribing cobbles into a piece of mounting board for the station approach for months and have finally glued it down. Don't know if I am totally happy with the colour, they are sandstone blocks but look a bit too brown. They can always be toned down in the future.

Sorry about the photos, there's not enough light in there.

Cheers David   

post-24880-0-68235600-1445723252_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-74043400-1445723261_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

The last thing I wanted to finish before starting something new is a loco that has been on my bench for what seems like years.  Yesterday it had a coat of paint so the end is in sight, when its dry I will rub all the paint runs down and T cut it. I will post a picture when its done.

Making a rod for my own back the next one will be a Jidenco Crab kit. How much of it will end up being used is anyones guess, time will tell, lots of time proberbly. From what I have heard about these kits it may end up being wanged out the shed door and chopped up by the lawnmower. It will be 42762 of Royston. The motor will be in the tender with a drive shaft between the firemans legs to a gear box in the loco.

I was going to start a workbench thread in kit and scratch building but chickened out and put it here instead.      

Cheers David

post-24880-0-49927700-1447597715_thumb.jpg

I'd love an 04 in n ,hopefully Bachmann will shrink there's in the near future

I did notice the slight gap but didn't want to say owt lol

But the building and paint job look bang on

Brian

Had a good few hours in the shed with my big yellow work coat on. Wasn't going to have a second platform because the sharp curve would be more obvious with the gaps between the coach ends and the platform edge, but I changed my mind. The 12mm mdf has brick plastic card facing and 60 thou stones along the edge. I have glued thin card to the top so that the mounting board I will use for the platform surface will be flush with the edging stones.

Started on the tender for the Crab. The frames were soldered together so I could shape the bottom edge, drill the hole for the brake shaft and cut out the slots for the axle bearings. L shaped spacers were cut and the whole lot soldered together. The vertical part of the spacers are supports for CSB wires. Haven't done it this way before, so just see how it goes.

Cheers David         

post-24880-0-18968400-1448218022_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-51799100-1448218032_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-89721400-1448218049_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-53585800-1448218061_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick, sorry I haven't replied, been working away all week. Lovely photos, I thought they were older than they are until I noticed the cars. One  looks like a BMC 1100/1300 so I'd guess late 60s early 70s? There's still a single track in place and the building looks neat and tidy. I took the photos below about six years ago, it still looks sound but a bit neglected.

Thanks David    

post-24880-0-62711900-1449911607_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-04534600-1449911633_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The second platform is nearly finished but I'm not 100% happy with it. It makes the other platform look shorter and I can't match the colours of the platform edging. I might have to repaint both together, but I was very happy with the original, I'll try and match them one more time first though. 

I found a pack of Slaters platform fencing in the shed, so old the plastic is going yellow and brittle. Took it to work on in the cab. I cut away the moulded on posts and the part pieces of diagonal slats from the ends so that I can join them into continuous strips. 

The tender for the Crab is coming along better than expected, glad I bought the Wild Swan Horwich Moguls book because I would have no idea how the bits fit t

together otherwise, there are no tabs or slots or other locating methods.  

Cheers David     

post-24880-0-71091700-1450548494_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-72245700-1450548903_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-10906700-1450549311_thumb.jpg

Had a spare half hour this morning so made a bit of progress on the crab tender. The front and rear coal plates in the kit both have holes in the top corners, they are not on my drawing or in any pictures I have seen. Maybe they are for pulling the coal forward on tenders without coal doors.

The front coal plate has enough meat on it to trim the top down. I have only fitted the tender top as far as the rear coal plate so had some spare brass the right width to make the new rear coal  plate.

Cheers David

post-24880-0-45785300-1450797867_thumb.jpg

The tender is looking good and like the second platform aswell

Glad to see your making progress

Hope you've had a good christmas and got plenty of presents

Brian

Edited by bri.s

Nice , it wasn't bad thanks ,il need to get some coaches for my pull push for cudworth

I noticed the slide boxes ,not seen any like them since I was a kid lol

Brian