• 1 month later...

Must stop buying new projects. Bought this off that well known auction site for a reasonable price. It will end up in all blue, but for now I have moved the wheels apart on the drive unit and fitted Gibson wagon wheels to the trailer so it will go through the crossings

Cheers David

post-24880-0-58851900-1441481006_thumb.jpg

Hi Brian

Its the longest straight run I've ever had and I can't stop running things up and down it. I really need to build a board to take a cassette so I can turn trains round at the end. The Garrett needs the wheels spacing out to go through the crossings and a good lube job. Might take it to work and do it in the cab if I get a long run.

Cheers David 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm taking my time too Brian, I don't think I will ever really finish it so I just relax and enjoy what I am doing at the time. Really want to start something new though, which has spurred me on to finish a few things that were on the bench.

The tar tank I bought from the second hand stall at the Wakefield show for 50p It was all out of square and had glue runs and finger prints.

The left van is a Graham Farish body, which I think is slightly over scale, brass axle guards and scratch built brake gear. The one on the right is an Airfix Lyons tea van with a Parkside underframe.

There's a few other things to finish then I can get stuck into something new without feeling too guilty.

Cheers David    

post-24880-0-31596400-1443981175_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-79375700-1443981216_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-27974800-1443981239_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Mark, here's a couple of photos of the Pulverite wagon. I had the photo in Barnsley Cudworth and Royston [bellcode books] and wanted to build one because it was unusual and local. I had a go when I found the photo in British Railways Illustrated. Its got a few problems in close up, a hand brake ratchet has fallen off and it really needs  etched owners plates on the solebar. The body is plastic sheet with Bill Bedford sprung axle guards.

Cheers David

post-24880-0-04050400-1444142492_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-59039700-1444142499_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi David ,

Some nice looking rolling stock there .

What's in the pipe work for something new ,

Just found out today theirs anew book coming out "railway memories ,Barnsley and beyond "

It should be out soon

The new memories of Barnsley mag has a lovely centre 2 page pic of a WD 280 on the hull and Barnsley rounding the curve to stairfoot at grange lane

Brian

Hi Mark, here's a couple of photos of the Pulverite wagon. I had the photo in Barnsley Cudworth and Royston [bellcode books] and wanted to build one because it was unusual and local. I had a go when I found the photo in British Railways Illustrated. Its got a few problems in close up, a hand brake ratchet has fallen off and it really needs  etched owners plates on the solebar. The body is plastic sheet with Bill Bedford sprung axle guards.

Cheers David

David

Thanks for sharing!

A rather pleasant wagon and nice to see one built, it is a shame there were only ever two small fleets of these!

The sort of wagon that encourages scratch building!

Mark

Thanks Brian.  Don't know what to start next but I'm enjoying thinking about it. There's a crab kit in the drawer, an Airfix green class 31 body and a few wagon kits. Don't mind doing a loco a wagon and a building at the same time, but no more.

I'll get the mag at the weekend and put the book on my Christmas list. Hope theres plenty of unpublished pictures in it.

Thanks Mark. Its nice to build something that you've never seen a model of before. One of these days I will have another go, maybe in brass.

Cheers David   

A very interesting project and you've made good progress to date.

I have an interest in the area as my daughter lives in Darton by Barnsley and we often see very old DMUs rattleing along.

Are there any notable landmarks from the H & B days in the area ?

I look forward to future progress.

John.

Thanks John, I've been building it for years, but have made much more progress over the past 11 months due to the encouragement received on this forum.

There is not much H&B left around Barnsley, some track bed and parts of bridges in Lundwood, a brick bridge near Monkton stacks and track bed at Brierley Jn.

Slightly further afield Wath and Sprotborough station buildings survive. But my favourite, because I stumbled on it by accident is Moorhouse. If you walk up the path onto the tree covered track bed near the old station house you find yourself between the two brick built platforms complete with concrete posts that held the name boards. I've seen some pictures since, maybe on flikr.

Cheers David  

Thanks Brian. Don't know what to start next but I'm enjoying thinking about it. There's a crab kit in the drawer, an Airfix green class 31 body and a few wagon kits. Don't mind doing a loco a wagon and a building at the same time, but no more.

I'll get the mag at the weekend and put the book on my Christmas list. Hope theres plenty of unpublished pictures in it.

Thanks Mark. Its nice to build something that you've never seen a model of before. One of these days I will have another go, maybe in brass.

Cheers David

I'll look forward to your projects

I'm hoping that there's plenty in there aswell ,I'll have a flick through before I buy

I should be up around where the old cudworth hull and Barnsley yard was tomorrow on a family walk so I'll see what's left up there I know there's not much at all ,we went up last week but stayed the monkbretton side of the tracks ,we went down a path at the side of the track which would have been imbetween where carlton pit was and the main line trackbed ,they're digging up the old pit site and there's quite a few old wooden sleepers sticking out of piles of what they've dug out aswell as a few lengths of rail here and there sticking out

,I assume they just demolished the pit buildings and covered over and now there uncovering it all there's an old brick wall in there aswell

Sorry for going off topic

Brian

Hi Brian, I went  along that path on my bike in the summer and didn't see much just some old walls. Do you know why the cycle track from stairfoot just ended in a field near Cudworth. Is it because the Monk Bretton branch is still used. Really it could be extended up past Monkton to Brierley, or on to the Dearne Valley. Is the portal of Brierley tunnel still there, I have not been that far on. 

Cheers David

Hi David

I'm not sure to be honest ,I wondered why they just stopped there it would have been quite easy to work around the glass works branch and continue up the old hull and Barnsley ,I know the old midland main line isn't a foot or cycle path but is used as one ,there's even signs on the bridges near stors mill saying it's not a public right of way ,I wonder if it's just a case of money

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian, I went  along that path on my bike in the summer and didn't see much just some old walls. Do you know why the cycle track from stairfoot just ended in a field near Cudworth. Is it because the Monk Bretton branch is still used. Really it could be extended up past Monkton to Brierley, or on to the Dearne Valley. Is the portal of Brierley tunnel still there, I have not been that far on. 

Cheers David

One portal of Brierley tunnel is under the Hemsworth bypass now, not sure about the other (Barnsley) end. I walked through it once about 30 years ago - without a torch, I could see the other end, but forgot about the possiblity of the huge mound of rubbish under the ventilation shaft that I walked into. I have been told that it's still possible to walk through Barnsdale tunnel under the A1 but I haven't tried this.

Just found a description for the new Barnsley book

" A collection of memories of a bygone age of the railway system that operated around the Barnsley area and beyond. It was a time when steam was still king (the local passenger, expresses and freight traffic were worked by steam), however the advent of diesel, although not initially noticeable, was gradually taking place.rnrnTowards the end of the 1950s and throughout the 1960s, rationalisation of the railway system and mass dieselisation took place, culminating in the end of steam on British railways (with the exception of the running of the Flying Scotsman) in August 1968.rnrnMany of the previously unseen photographs in this book include those of Royston Shed's steam fleet during the last months of working, before closing to steam officially on 4 November 1967; Thompson B1s, ex-Great Central Directors and Royston 8Fs at Stairfoot; an ex-Midland engine hauling an express over Swaithe viaduct; Barnsley Court House station prior to closure in 1960 and the famous Flying Scotsman's visit to Barnsley on 21 June 1969."

Hopefully plenty of stuff we've not seen before

Brian

Thanks John, I've been building it for years, but have made much more progress over the past 11 months due to the encouragement received on this forum.

There is not much H&B left around Barnsley, some track bed and parts of bridges in Lundwood, a brick bridge near Monkton stacks and track bed at Brierley Jn.

Slightly further afield Wath and Sprotborough station buildings survive. But my favourite, because I stumbled on it by accident is Moorhouse. If you walk up the path onto the tree covered track bed near the old station house you find yourself between the two brick built platforms complete with concrete posts that held the name boards. I've seen some pictures since, maybe on flikr.

Cheers David  

I have by chance just found this thread, the H&B is a great passion of mine, attached a couple of photo's of Moorhouse.

post-702-0-29534500-1444481537_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-09379400-1444481576_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Michael. I really need to get out on my bike more so Brierley Jn and up to the tunnel would be an interesting ride, I'll take my camera, see what I can find.

That book sounds promising Brian its about time we had another local book. Did you ever see the photos on the Barnsley archive website, don't know whether it has been taken down but I can't find it anymore. Have you seen the Tasker trust website, lots to see on there.

Hi Mick, thanks for the two photos, the one with the signal box is very useful as I am going to use Moorhouse box for the layout. I have the two photos in the Bellcode book but not one of the front. Were these taken when the branch from Wrangbrook had closed and trains had to use the curve from the Wakefield/ Doncaster line? By the way, was that your car?          

Billy Flathead, I can fix you up with suitable drawings for your proposed Moorhouse signalbox. Attached a picture of my own model of the same signalbox design, though I have called it Sallyfield Jct, it is a near copy of Springbank West No2 'box which I knew. The foundations still survive, and I was able to measure them some years ago.

post-702-0-94389600-1444955212_thumb.jpgpost-702-0-11653600-1444955261_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-63255800-1444955305_thumb.jpg

• Like 3