Hi Brian, I have hundreds of slides taken in the eighties, there's some of Cudworth and signal boxes at Worsbrough, no idea about dates, loco numbers or locations on most of them. I've tried  a home made slide scanner but couldn't get it to work, I have enough trouble just scanning prints.

Thanks Mick that's a great photo, is the coaling tower still being built? Love those spindly gas lamps.

Cheers David     

• 5 weeks later...

Done a little bit since new year, the platform fencing pieces have been joined into continuous strips with new posts and painted. I've also done a bit of landscaping around the end of the platform and the loading dock.

The crab tender is coming along slowly. I didn't use the side overlays with the half etched beading, instead the flat beading on the sides is strips of 5 thou brass, and along the top edges I've used some scrap brass from the fret, soldered on over size then filed down. Fitting the step back plates first was a mistake, there's only one left on. Its fell off the bench several times and I've slipped on wet decking and landed on it. There's  a dent in the tender back from the fall but I can hopefully disguise it with a bit of filler. I've always been clumsy but its getting worse with age.

Cheers David        

post-24880-0-98225700-1454108811_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-19809100-1454108831_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-79040500-1454108842_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-78601700-1454108858_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The layouts getting there looks nice around the dock area with the fence up

Nice work on the tender ,I'm taking tips ,as you know ,I'm fancying doing a loco kit in the near future

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably the last person to get tips off of Brian, you don't get to see the cursing and burnt fingers, or that I have taken it apart three times to get it to where it is. Anything you want to know just ask, but I'm a beginner really.  

No progress on the layout but crab tender chassis is on its wheels. Home made bearings slide in slots in the outside frames, with CSB wires from 12thou steel wire.

Cheers David  

post-24880-0-66404000-1456079725_thumb.jpg

post-24880-0-30285400-1456079755_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

post-24880-0-00755700-1459191599_thumb.jpgWith doing jobs on the car to get it ready to go back on the road and a long weekend in the Dales there hasn't been much shed time.  Now that a bulky part of the car has gone from the shed I will have a good tidy and hopefully get back in the mood for some scenic work.

What I have done is start this Trestrol kit by macgeordie. Its gone together very well so far, the shackles were a bit fiddly but they are all on and they all move.  It will go to work with me tomorrow where I will clean it all up

Cheers David

• Like 4

Here's one from the past, and admittedly a very crap print, but we can't go back to 15 August 1922, and photograph H&BRly engines Nos 13A and 102 on Cudworth shed. I have the original and well battered print, possibly, someone clever with "Photoshop" could do something with it.

post-702-0-58276100-1459202733_thumb.jpg

You,re right there Mick, you can' t be too fussy with photos of that age. There's still plenty of detail, particularly the track in the for ground. Is that a signal box on the embankment on the right, I must get a map out when I get home.

Thanks for the kind comments William, I try my best with limited time and money, progress has been better since joining this forum though. I usually only post photos when I have something new to show but I will try to post more.

Currently parked overnight in a lay by cleaning solder off the trestrol while the daylight lasts.

Cheers David

• 3 weeks later...

post-24880-0-46352500-1460910945_thumb.jpgProgress on the layout has stalled completely, there is water damage to one of the interior walls of the shed after all the rain this winter and it smells fusty. Everything needs to come out and the panels replacing.  

Some progress with the trestrol though, the trestles are together and primered, and its ready for lettering and weathering

Cheers David  

Guest bri.s

Sorry to hear of the damp,I hope there's no damage to the layout ,the rain certainly tested my roof lol ,the testrol is looking good

Brian

Hi Brian there's no damage to the layout, the water has come in around the window and run down the wall onto the floor. If I can get some scrap wood from work, the work bench and shelves can all come out without disturbing the layout, just needs a fine day to do it.

Cheers David   

• Like 1

post-24880-0-82050900-1461479925_thumb.jpgpost-24880-0-67560000-1461479941_thumb.jpg I will need more than a bit of scrap wood to repair the shed, 18in from the bottom of the wall and 12in of floor have been cut away, so I'll be off to Wickes later. Can't do anything on the layout or bench because I can't  get at them, but I can take my files to work so I made the brake pull rods and cranks for the cross beam of the Crab tender.

Cheers David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick, sorry I haven't replied but the computer has been down a couple of weeks. Thanks for the picture, I would like to build a D24 but its a fair way down an expanding list. Did anyone make a kit for one, it wouldn't fit in with my other stock so I would go for original condition.

The shed is in better shape with part of the floor, framing, and cladding replaced, and sealer around the window. The air inside is a whole lot fresher without all the spores floating around, the wall behind the drawers was black with mould.  

The trestrol is about finished, the trestles are not fastened down yet and I need some fine chain to put in the well. I read a comment on this forum about how we should just build or buy ordinary everyday wagons and not things like trestrols. There is a picture in my Hull and Barnsley book of a trestrol on the front of a coal train, probably for Scunthorpe, so I'm having one.post-24880-0-49396500-1462908832_thumb.jpg

Saw this van body just up the road from where we stayed in Swaledale at the weekend. Love to have one for a shed, but this one may be a bit too far gone, the woods had it and the frame would need welding.  post-24880-0-99208800-1462908860_thumb.jpg            

Hi Mick, l haven't seen any photos of Wath when it was open. The only reference to the signaling I have seen, and I am sure you will have too is C T Goode "the pair of very tall signals governing arriving trains, each on separate posts with subsidiary arms fixed lower down as repeaters because of the intervening Midland overbridge."

He compares the station building with Moorhouse and Hickleton but does not describe the signal box

Cheers David

• Like 1

Back on track with some scenic stuff. Made this barrow crossing from black plastic painted with acrylics, not glued down yet.

post-24880-0-91750900-1463339009_thumb.jpg

I've built up the ground level round the back as far as the railway boundary, anything behind this will be built on the bench and dropped in.

post-24880-0-97954500-1463339046_thumb.jpg

Feeling a bit pleased with myself, and the weather being nice, I brought the outside track from the garage. It didn't fit!!!

post-24880-0-66294600-1463339075_thumb.jpg

When I repaired the front of the shed the relationship between the shed and fence changed, so I had to cut wood away from the side of the access hole and the track board  then slew the track across right to the edge of the board.

Its all running ok again, I took a couple of videos so when I work out how to do it I will post them.

Cheers David

Guest bri.s

Looking good ,like the goods yard area and barrow crossing .

Glad to see some more track down

If you put your videos onto YouTube I can post them here for you

Brian