Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Apart from 'The Fourth of July', which I believe is some sort of celebration day in the US of A.

Personally, I feel there is a much better reason to celebrate that date...

You are George M Cohan and I claim my five pounds.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Bother (other expletives are available)! If I'd thought about that I'd have delayed my post by an hour and 21 minutes...

No chance of dancing in the moonlight round here last night, unless you were wearing SCUBA gear.

Anyway, my university degree was a 2-1, not a Desmond (RIP).

No I got the Desmond degree.. so it all fitted in well yesterday!  :D

Baz

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Close, but he was born on the 3rd of July, despite what he claims in his song.

Wikipedia (which, as we know, is always right...) says that his baptismal certificate showed 3 July but his family always claimed 4 July - well, they would, wouldn't they? Anyway, I'm not going to let any inconvenient truths get in the way of a good story.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

No I got the Desmond degree.. so it all fitted in well yesterday!  :D

Baz

Very good. If I'd been a bit more awake yesterday I'd have said that my degree was a Train out of Section.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

The first weekend in March sees the return of the North Shore Railway Modellers' Association Exhibition, after our enforced cancellation last year:

http://www.nsrma.com.au/2022/01/

As usual, the British Railway Modellers of Australia http://www.brma.org.au/ will have a stand and as usual I will be demonstrating how to build copperclad points.

If you are at the show, please drop by and say hello.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

As others also comment regularly, it all looks so neat..!

That large hole in the backscene may need some consideration - seems wise not to make a snap decision.  I guess part of the problem will be concealing reversing movements that pass in front of (behind) the hole for Sidings 1 to 5.  The second photo implies the gap may also be visible from the end of the other operating aisle too, depending on scenery?  

Apologies if this jumps the gun, but it set me thinking, but two immediate ideas were these:

1.  Screen the hole with a hedge of trees?

2.  In front of the hole and at an angle, have a tunnel mouth or wide bridge?

In other words, I don’t think I’d even try and scenic a hole like that on the flat for a rural setting (which probably means the next post will be a prototype photo of just such an arrangement…).  Hope that’s OK, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
(Photos replaced with text - copies of images had not been kept)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

That large hole in the backscene may need some consideration - seems wise not to make a snap decision.  I guess part of the problem will be concealing reversing movements that pass in front of (behind) the hole for Sidings 1 to 5.  The second photo implies the gap may also be visible from the end of the other operating aisle too, depending on scenery?  

Apologies if this jumps the gun, but it set me thinking, but two immediate ideas were these:

CE39010F-7A4D-4DD3-8DD5-0D3DD0AEA87A.jpeg.46f234e9010028bac581320532dea821.jpeg

A3AA6872-7E73-436B-9794-04C0B7260B02.jpeg.d320c016a165e04eff92eb3d328c8296.jpeg

In other words, I don’t think I’d even try and scenic a hole like that on the flat for a rural setting (which probably means the next post will be a prototype photo of just such an arrangement…).  Hope that’s OK, Keith.

My lateral thinking on this, came up with a suggestion that you might try aligning your full backscene roughly

along the lines of the last pic. But with rounded "corners", whilst retaining the 90deg mouth (Minimising the required opening). This could be hidden more easily, and subtly by trees.

Would be interesting to see a mock up, and would lose the need for an unprototypical tunnel, perhaps.

All the best

TONY

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

CE39010F-7A4D-4DD3-8DD5-0D3DD0AEA87A.jpeg.46f234e9010028bac581320532dea821.jpeg

A3AA6872-7E73-436B-9794-04C0B7260B02.jpeg.d320c016a165e04eff92eb3d328c8296.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

My lateral thinking on this, came up with a suggestion that you might try aligning your full backscene roughly

along the lines of the last pic. But with rounded "corners", whilst retaining the 90deg mouth (Minimising the required opening). This could be hidden more easily, and subtly by trees.

Would be interesting to see a mock up, and would lose the need for an unprototypical tunnel, perhaps.

All the best

TONY

Thanks, Keith and Tony.

There will certainly be a bridge (as at the real Tolcarn Junction), not a tunnel, and possibly some trees as well although this part of Cornwall isn't wooded heavily. I don't want a curved backscene though.

The final answer will be a skew bridge, the angle of which I'll work out later - and yes, Keith, part of that experimentation will be to minimise the view through the hole from the Porthmellyn Road/St Enodoc direction.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 13/02/2022 at 09:39, Harlequin said:

OK, no problem. I'll add some tracking like PENZANCE above and send you a PDF at the right size. (I'm not convinced the cream outline is correct for the prototype, I think it might be something the reproduction people have done, but I'll use cream outlines so you have consistency.)

Late to the party as ever/. But if you like Phil I'll raid my garage and dig out my totem (a very rare one so I won't name it here) and measure various parts of it such as the width of the cream edging.

The earlier, much smaller, rectangular nameboards - which seem to have been used in various places (and not on lamp posts) under station canopies - definitely did not have a cream edging and also used a different typeface.   These seem to have vanished from most places by the early -mid 1960s

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Late to the party as ever/. But if you like Phil I'll raid my garage and dig out my totem (a very rare one so I won't name it here) and measure various parts of it such as the width of the cream edging.

The earlier, much smaller, rectangular nameboards - which seem to have been used in various places (and not on lamp posts) under station canopies - definitely did not have a cream edging and also used a different typeface.   These seem to have vanished from most places by the early -mid 1960s

That would be great, thanks!

I used lots of photos as reference and then judged things by eye until it looked right but having actual measurements would be wonderful.

It would also be great to measure the colours with a colorimeter but that's a separate issue.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

That would be great, thanks!

I used lots of photos as reference and then judged things by eye until it looked right but having actual measurements would be wonderful.

It would also be great to measure the colours with a colorimeter but that's a separate issue.

Can't do much about the colours - certainly in a reliable way as what looks right on my camera probably won't be right when it gets to you.   Plus it is not only weathered from well over a decade in use but that wasn't helped when I had to recover it from the station building demolition site.    

Fortunately I did get there in time to save, intact,  a genuine TVR relic as well which is one of the backlit station names painted on the reverse side of transparent glass (and them backed with white translucent glass)  which were placed in a fixed quarterlights above the top of the main window in things like waiting rooms;   but that is very strictly a Taff Vale thing so no use elsewhere.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Right duly measured and be prepared to be as surprised as I was :blink: .  Whether or not it is unique, which i can't say without checking other real ones of course there is a narrow black line round the face of the totem outside the cream line and I'm certain that it is original enamelling. What follows are the direct measurements taken off the totem Iown.

The outer black line is 4mm wide, then comes the cream line which measures 9mm wide at the top but only 8.5mm along the bottom so I suspect there was some sort of regular small variation in the width of the cream line.  The height of the lettering (using E and L as examples was) was 76mm, the letter E is 42mm wide overall, note that all three horizontal lines of the E are the same length.  however the base of the letter L is only 40.5mm long.  the width of the upstroke of the L is 7.5mm. 

So clearly there were minor differences between letters if this totem is a representative example but there does seem to have been a little bit of 'wriggle room' with teh sizing of letters  - were they sign written by hand before enamel was baked I wonder?

By the way if anybody wants the correct measured size for GWR concrete platform edge slabs I can easily get those in our station car park

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

17 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Today I modified the temporary screen at Polperran to simulate the actual hole in the backscene.

2018621591_20220226001PPbackscenescreenmodified.JPG.908e0be4a4d62316f51c7277724cbbe4.JPG

34005447_20220226002PPbackscenescreenmodified.JPG.b283f9064853001d5799ef7d07d0f6c8.JPG

It's quite wide due to the very shallow angle at which the track passes through it, so it will take a little disguising. I'll worry about that later.

I then finished a simple but time-consuming job that doesn't affect anything except visual appearance. I'm not going to say what it is (other than to say that it has nothing to do with unbuilt Airfix aircraft kits), as I want to wait and see whether any of the operating team spots it in three weeks' time.

Finally, I've done an inventory of the points needed for Pentowan, so that I know which templates to take to next weekend's show. Very pleasingly, I'll be able to use the last remaining points that are already built - one being the prototype double slip, which isn't the best-looking beast but as it will sit in a non-passenger line it will do nicely. The other three are the last B6 fiddle yard points left over from the St Enodoc oval layout fiddle yards. They haven't got equalised timbering but with the missing timbers added I think they'll be all right. I certainly don't feel the urge to build replacements just because of that.

That leaves just 16 points left to be built for the whole layout - four B8 RH curved points for the approach and a dozen A5s of both hands for Treloggan Junction, the crossovers and the carriage sidings. I won't get them all made at Forestville but it would be nice to complete at least some of the curved ones. Watch this space.

In the upper pic do I spot the tip of a catch trap point? Presumably a cosmetic proxy with just a single blade?

Could you comment on how you add these into existing trackwork, as I've a couple to add to my setting based on the latest revision.

Regards,

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
correction
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 23/02/2022 at 21:14, Neal Ball said:

Typical that the Americans can’t even get that right, I’ve never understood why they have it arse about face :D

Throughout the centuries the British used to swing between dd/mm/yyyy and mm/dd/yyyy - fortunately they finally settled on the more logical dd/mm/yyyy, while the Americans kept the mm/dd/yyyy in use at the time they split away.  If you really want a logical format, use the Asian yyyy/mm/dd (hh:mm:ss etc) - it will always sort correctly in numerical order (ie in computer filenames - oh how I've had to argue that point over the years).

• Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2022 at 23:15, BWsTrains said:

In the upper pic do I spot the tip of a catch trap point? Presumably a cosmetic proxy with just a single blade?

Could you comment on how you add these into existing trackwork, as I've a couple to add to my setting based on the latest revision.

Regards,

Colin

I have used a similar approach, but with plastic sleepers and Exactoscale chairs instead of copperclad.  I soldered the extra rail in place, before gluing the chairs on.  This has worked for me both in plain track, and for two points that needed trap points added between the Vee and the switch rails.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2022 at 10:47, Regularity said:

The most sensible date format is year-month-date, as it can also be sorted alphabetically. 2023/02/20

On 28/02/2022 at 08:01, 16Brunel said:

If you really want a logical format, use the Asian yyyy/mm/dd (hh:mm:ss etc) - it will always sort correctly in numerical order (ie in computer filenames - oh how I've had to argue that point over the years).

A point made six days before, too…

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

Glad you are enjoying your first exhibition in ages.

Sad though is the loss of Warnie!

Why do such good guys die young?

Yes, I hated him when he was regularly demolishing the England team, but you had to admire his skill, and since retiring he has been brilliant as part of the commentary teams.

On an entirely different sporting subject, it is great to see Ukraine being successful at the winter Paralympics, while Russia is thrown out!

So getting back to modelling, those points do look good. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1