RMweb

Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Message from our PW Engineer Mr Alan Smith  "stop drawing.. use your eyes to get it sorted..."

Baz

That's easy for someone who owns, and knows how to use, a complete set of original North Eastern Railway railway curves to say.

Nevertheless, please thank the esteemed Mr Smith for his sage advice (as always) and ask him if he would mind awfully explaining to the assembled company what versines are and what to do with them...

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Have you ever tried using Templot? It's a bit quirky but it does all this for you and produces a full size printout - it's also completely free now.

Mike, I've looked at it but never used it - although on one occasion a friend generated a Templot drawing of a particular formation for me.

Computers + quirky = no thanks, as far as I'm concerned!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Mike, I've looked at it but never used it - although on one occasion a friend generated a Templot drawing of a particular formation for me.

Computers + quirky = no thanks, as far as I'm concerned!

Yes, that’s my problem with Templot as well.

Having written desktop software professionally for the past (ahem) 30+ years I have pretty strong views about how it should behave. Templot falls so far outside that envelope for me that, even though it has very impressive capabilities, I just can’t get on with it.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Yes, that’s my problem with Templot as well.

Having written desktop software professionally for the past (ahem) 30+ years I have pretty strong views about how it should behave. Templot falls so far outside that envelope for me that, even though it has very impressive capabilities I just can’t get on with it.

Agreed, I have to re-learn it almost every time I use it (and it drives me mad at times) but what it can do when you struggle through it is little short of incredible. I've been building track and pointwork in various gauges for more than 60 years but what I have designed with Templot in the last 15 or so runs much better than anything else I've done.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Merry Christmas and happy new year John, I don't post that often but always drop by and enjoy following your progress. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter and the same to you and the family. Similarly, I follow Llanbourne but don't often contribute.

Stay well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Templot is not a professional desktop software product. It's my hobby. It works the way I want it to. I'm happy for others to use it if they like it. Or not if they don't.

Over the years many have written in a similar vein to your post. But I'm still waiting for any of them to post their own software to replace Templot. It would be great if anyone (you?) did that, because after 40+ years of Templot I'm getting old and tired. But I'm not holding my breath.  

Martin.

There's no denying that Templot is your masterpiece, Martin. Anyone who tries to follow in your footsteps, or who might take on the open source Templot and attempt to update it, would be a brave person indeed. They would need your in depth knowledge of the subject to avoid making silly mistakes. In fact, it would probably need an entire team of people with expertise spread across many disciplines to make a decent replacement or update.

P.S. I'm old and tired too!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

There's no denying that Templot is your masterpiece, Martin. Anyone who tries to follow in your footsteps, or who might take on the open source Templot and attempt to update it, would be a brave person indeed. They would need your in depth knowledge of the subject to avoid making silly mistakes. In fact, it would probably need an entire team of people with expertise spread across many disciplines to make a decent replacement or update.

Thanks Phil.

Alistair Ward and Graeme Defty are having a go and haven't given up yet. I know they would welcome any help:

https://github.com/openTemplot/openTemplot

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 5BarVT said:

I think you’re too hard on yourself.  Lever frame at St Enodoc needs an A, so overall B+ minimum.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate that.

The story this year has been of jobs taking longer than expected - not least the lever frame, which took over six months for various reasons. As you know, I didn't want to start work at Pentowan until St Enodoc was fully operational, so things dragged out a bit. So, I'll accept your B+ for the deliverable but I can only claim a D for the schedule I think (the last two weeks of f@rt-@rsing around with the track layout didn't help either!).

All the best.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

A happy new year from the real Porthmellyn too!  My thanks for all the inspiring and regular content throughout the year, definitely one of the best quality threads on the forum.

If you feel that progress is slower than you would like, I would encourage you to start adding a bit of greenery on the layout... plant a tree in ‘23.  That stage was when my own layout started to come ‘alive’.  It’s one of those tasks that has much greater visual impact, compared to the amount of work required!

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3