Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

19 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Generally 1958 - 1960ish but I run stock/locos from outside this period as complete trains, eg my ‘Cornish Riviera’ is based on the 1963 set and runs with a Western or Warship. 

It’s all a work in progress but I aim to get things as correct as I am able.

There would still have been lots of GWR dining cars in service in the late 1950s but the WR would have had Mark 1 RUs in service too. If I recall correctly, The Cornishman and Royal Duchy had Mark 1 RUs well before the Cornish Riviera did. In summer 1959, the Penzance section of the Cornishman (SX) was BSK, SK, SK, CK, CK, RU, SO, BSK. In the peak summer season, there was an extra SK ahead of the rear BSK and the Kingswear section ran as a separate train.  SX the Penzance section of The Royal Duchy was BSK, SK, SK, SO, RU, FK, BSK.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

There would still have been lots of GWR dining cars in service in the late 1950s but the WR would have had Mark 1 RUs in service too. If I recall correctly, The Cornishman and Royal Duchy had Mark 1 RUs well before the Cornish Riviera did. In summer 1959, the Penzance section of the Cornishman (SX) was BSK, SK, SK, CK, CK, RU, SO, BSK. In the peak summer season, there was an extra SK ahead of the rear BSK and the Kingswear section ran as a separate train.  SX the Penzance section of The Royal Duchy was BSK, SK, SK, SO, RU, FK, BSK.

A good example there of how I compress my train lengths, Robert. To get to my target 60% length, my  Cornishman is formed  BSK SK CK RU BSK (5 instead of 8) and my Royal Duchy is formed BSK RU FK BSK (4 instead of 7). My Cornish Riviera is formed BSK CK RU SO SK BSK (6 instead of 10).

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Thank you Robert, that is pretty much what i am basing my formations on although like John they are 'edited highlights'. The CWNs you have made available have been an enormous help. It is also the reason my Cornish Riviera is an early 1960s train as I haven't got the correct GW diner pair.

I'm using an SO to partner the RU but I'm wondering if an RSO would be more appropriate? It would be straightforward enough to build or convert. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

Thank you Robert, that is pretty much what i am basing my formations on although like John they are 'edited highlights'. The CWNs you have made available have been an enormous help. It is also the reason my Cornish Riviera is an early 1960s train as I haven't got the correct GW diner pair.

I'm using an SO to partner the RU but I'm wondering if an RSO would be more appropriate? It would be straightforward enough to build or convert. 

The RSO lacked the middle door and had a different window spacing so conversion would involve new etched sides. There is no need as the WR seems to have made much use of ordinary open seconds with 2+2 seating as part-diners, often with only two or four bays laid. Usually, the non-smoking and non-lavatory end was adjacent to the RU. This may have been at least in part because, in their early days, the RUs were all smoking.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

The RSO lacked the middle door and had a different window spacing so conversion would involve new etched sides. There is no need as the WR seems to have made much use of ordinary open seconds with 2+2 seating as part-diners, often with only two or four bays laid. Usually, the non-smoking and non-lavatory end was adjacent to the RU. This may have been at least in part because, in their early days, the RUs were all smoking.

At least I'm right on that score then, if only by default! A shame in a way as the RSO would be something different.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It was indeed a short session today, although not as short as the Gabba Test Match - 34 wickets, and the game won and lost, in fewer than six sessions of play. Very strange.

I also understand that in a local 20 over game a record has been set of a score of only 15 all out.

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Oh, and the Carol Service was excellent, with the music the best it's been for many a year - not least because it included many of my favourite carols and hymns.

Glad you enjoyed it.  I suspect I might have too.  Ours is tonight but will have more ‘modernised’ ones than I prefer.  (I must be getting old and grumpy!!!).  Still looking forward to it, as the message is unchanging and will ring out loud and clear.

Paul.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I also understand that in a local 20 over game a record has been set of a score of only 15 all out.

Yes, the Thunder failed to live up to their name!

14 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Glad you enjoyed it.  I suspect I might have too.  Ours is tonight but will have more ‘modernised’ ones than I prefer.  (I must be getting old and grumpy!!!).  Still looking forward to it, as the message is unchanging and will ring out loud and clear.

The music was good. The readings not so much, being from some modern translation rather than the good old AV.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Re: Friday Cocktail.

Our cocktail of choice last night was a very nice Kringle cocktail (Vodka; Peach Scnapps and Cranberry) shaken, not stirred 🍸

The new trackwork and new boards is going to look interesting, but at this rate, you will run out of space to stand in the middle!

Have a great Christmas.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Re: Friday Cocktail.

Our cocktail of choice last night was a very nice Kringle cocktail (Vodka; Peach Scnapps and Cranberry) shaken, not stirred 🍸

The new trackwork and new boards is going to look interesting, but at this rate, you will run out of space to stand in the middle!

Have a great Christmas.

A simple G&T last night for us. We may well end up with some more elaborate recipes as the holiday goes on!

More to follow on the new boards.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I think I've got the Pentowan approach track layout sorted now. The only bit I'm not 100% sure about is where the track to Platform 1 runs alongside the double slip.

1244545609_20221224002PTapproachtracks.JPG.2d8ebeeef525584efa3e1ec759aaf03a.JPG

I've set it out with a length of straight track in parallel with the straight road through the slip but I'm worried that this might look a bit odd with the curve of the loco spur alongside it. On the other hand, a curved section next to the slip might also look odd... I'll have another look at this.

2055304841_20221224004PTapproachtracks.JPG.3da3c6fe93357dc5220a1bbaeef7064b.JPG

Anyway, I've inked everything in for now. The only part that's still in draft is the goods yard. This was, and still is, planned to have two goods sidings in the corner outside the long curve but, following recent discussions here, I'm thinking of adding an extra track to act as a headshunt/loco standing road. This might be handy for the station pilot (an EE 350hp shunter) if nothing else. I'll keep thinking about that - there's no rush as it will be the last section to be laid.

1220472175_20221224003PTapproachtracks.JPG.17b6c7bb0a859b1ab4aaaef530c17abd.JPG

Finally for now, @Neal Ball just mentioned the apparent lack of space now the new boards are in place. Actually, it's real not apparent at the moment! No need to panic, though - everything is oversized at the moment until I work out how much I can cut away and how much I want to leave for scenery. There will definitely be a clear space of at least 600mm between Pentowan and Wheal Veronica, which will open up at the Treloggan Junction end to accommodate the Pentowan lever frame and signalman (the black bar stool shows roughly where he will sit).

More on Boxing Day with luck.

I'm looking forward to a drivers eye video of the trains moving around.

Have a good Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Neal Ball said:

I'm looking forward to a drivers eye video of the trains moving around.

Hmm, that will be a challenge! I don't have any equipment to do that, so I'll need to discuss with Charles and the other operating team members. Watch this space.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As Father Christmas and Rudolf prepare at St Enodoc for their work tonight, Veronica and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from our home to yours, wherever you may be.

2004967496_20221224001MerryChristmasfromStEnodoc.JPG.884b17d0f92014654a170e10b89682ba.JPG

H like this.. that's a first!!

Baz

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I think I've got the Pentowan approach track layout sorted now. The only bit I'm not 100% sure about is where the track to Platform 1 runs alongside the double slip.

I think you’re right about the straight - it looks odd to me.  A slight curve will look better, but might (will?) affect clearance points on P1/loco spur.  Are either of them tight?

Paul.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As Father Christmas and Rudolf prepare at St Enodoc for their work tonight, Veronica and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from our home to yours, wherever you may be.

2004967496_20221224001MerryChristmasfromStEnodoc.JPG.884b17d0f92014654a170e10b89682ba.JPG

Merry Christmas to both of you as well!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1