Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Lucky for me I "retired" at 55, pensions kicked in at 60 and 62.. Next up state pension.. but its the tax bit I don't like!

Baz

Ps but is should pay for flights to Oz..

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 31A said:

haven't got around to applying for a for bus pass yet.

Swings and roundabouts. At 74, I would be entitled to a bus pass, but not living in the UK, don't qualify. The ongoing £2 fares help. I have to make do with All-stations National Network plus London Underground, Overground and buses. And I am convinced I pay less tax in France than I would in the UK. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Why? Are the tax arrangements different from your other (company?) pensions?

No, the more pension you get... the more tax you pay... simples...

So you are taxed on earnings , taxed on pensions interest andvtaxed on pensions payments..easy money

Baz

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Next up state pension.. but its the tax bit I don't like!

Ps but is should pay for flights to Oz..

Me neither, When the last increase in state pensions occurred, although I received it, the tax on one of my company pensions increased, reducing the net payment of that pension.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

No, the more pension you get... the more tax you pay... simples...

So you are taxed on earnings , taxed on pensions interest andvtaxed on pensions payments..easy money

Baz

Ah, I hadn't picked up the pensions interest bit, which I don't think applies to my two defined-benefit schemes.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Blimey ! Just realised I only have another eight years to go before I get there...........

I remember getting my driving licence and noting the date that I turned 70, 2035, on it. It seemed so very far away then...........

And if you have the wrong answers to various questions at that renewal you can bet on the DVLA s*dding about itfor more than long enough to leave you without a Driving Licence for a month or more - guess how I know, grr.

However they then covered themselves in glory by issuing the new Licence with the wrong renewal date then a fortnight later sending me anither one with teh correct renewal date.  The wronf  one is valid for several months ad fter the wrong one expires so I took out a minor insurancee policy  👀

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Swings and roundabouts. At 74, I would be entitled to a bus pass, but not living in the UK, don't qualify. The ongoing £2 fares help. I have to make do with All-stations National Network plus London Underground, Overground and buses. And I am convinced I pay less tax in France than I would in the UK. 

I haven't bothered witna. bus pass.  the only place I normally travel on a bus is n London, even if it's just up the hill to ally pally for the exhibition and my  (free) Oysterd card covers that - plus the UndergrounD of course.   Locally apart from one route the train offers teh same journey as the ;bus - to Reading - and is actually quicker in quite a few parts of the day.  So. a bus pass is of little use for me. And like OD rail travel is covered by a Silver Pass

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 16Brunel said:

At least the Wombling is free...

Late first wife Deb used, in the late '70s,  to have riding lessons on a Saturday afternoon, with a few others. Among them was a bumptious cove, who announced one day "I've been picked for Wimbledon!" prompting another there present to enquire "Tennis or Wombles?" as the bumptious one was very short. A decade later he became Britain's shortest MP.

• Round of applause 4
  • Funny 14

12 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Late first wife Deb used, in the late '70s,  to have riding lessons on a Saturday afternoon, with a few others. Among them was a bumptious cove, who announced one day "I've been picked for Wimbledon!" prompting another there present to enquire "Tennis or Wombles?" as the bumptious one was very short. A decade later he became Britain's shortest MP.

Shortest in height or duration?

Lloyd

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

This morning I went over to see Bill (the builder of St Enodoc goods shed) for a running session on his layout, the Fern Valley Railway. It's a freelance layout, located in NSW but with a lot of US-style equipment as well as Australian, which Bill has blended together skilfully and convincingly. You can read a description, see photos and watch videos here.

http://www.brma.org.au/BRMA Galleries/Non-British/Layout 0039 - Fern Valley/index.html

Afterwards we enjoyed a nice pub lunch, all of which made for a very enjoyable start to the weekend.

When I got home, I fitted the strip of ply at the back of Pentowan goods yard and started the trackbed by laying a half-strip of DCC Concepts foam trackbed along the two outer edges of the yard. Once they're dry (tomorrow, with luck) I'll cut a sheet of cork to fit between them. No photos today, as it's all a bit messy with the foam strips pinned in place and various tools lying around.

• Like 18

I noticed you have been very diplomatic , only mentioned cricket once, and that prior to the last day!

We won't hold the result against you , after all we were poor on the last session and lost it, allowing you to win, rather than you winning through a great performance all match, which is what we have come to expect from the Aussies. 

Lords should be interesting!

Cheers, Paul 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

I noticed you have been very diplomatic , only mentioned cricket once, and that prior to the last day!

We won't hold the result against you , after all we were poor on the last session and lost it, allowing you to win, rather than you winning through a great performance all match, which is what we have come to expect from the Aussies. 

Lords should be interesting!

Cheers, Paul 

A few years ago, a colleague asked me when I would start supporting Australia in the Ashes. I replied that it would be after I'd lived in Australia longer than I lived in the UK. By that time I will be 93...

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

A few years ago, a colleague asked me when I would start supporting Australia in the Ashes. I replied that it would be after I'd lived in Australia longer than I lived in the UK. By that time I will be 93...

We had friends over last night, and had the same conversation though for me it would be 144. Being Australian born they were not impressed.

One was concerned that I was spending too much time playing with toy trains. "What does Mark do for leisure time". "Oh he plays alot of golf" was her response. Quick as a flash my wife jumped in with "well that what he tells you". 

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

a few mistakes by both sides, with some resulting in yellow cards.

The Union shows too many yellow cards nowadays, in my opinion.

If they had refereed the games that I played in, back in the day, in the modern style they would all have been abandonned before half time!

I am not advocating making head hunting etc legal, just the application of common sense.

It is supposed to be a physical game!

The Wigan Warrington game threw up a good example last week in the Rugby League cup.

An accidental clash of heads, lots of blood, both players get stitched up and have HIA.

Both pass this and return to play. 

No malicious intent in the incident: "get on with it."

Ian T

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

The Union shows too many yellow cards nowadays, in my opinion.

If they had refereed the games that I played in, back in the day, in the modern style they would all have been abandonned before half time!

I am not advocating making head hunting etc legal, just the application of common sense.

It is supposed to be a physical game!

The Wigan Warrington game threw up a good example last week in the Rugby League cup.

An accidental clash of heads, lots of blood, both players get stitched up and have HIA.

Both pass this and return to play. 

No malicious intent in the incident: "get on with it."

Ian T

Over here, certainly, there has been an increase in the number of high tackles resulting in contact between the tackler's shoulder and the tackled player's head. That's what the authorities are trying to stamp out (pun intended). There was one such in last night's game. The others were for persistent and/or deliberate killing the ball or offside by the defenders in their 5-metre area - the professional foul. I'm in favour of yellow cards for both of these categories.

Edited by St Enodoc
Clarity
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

The others were for persistent and/or deliberate killing the ball or offside by the defenders in their 5-metre area - the professional foul. I'm in favour of yellow cards for both of these categories.

The easisest answer to that is award a penalty try!

I totaly agree with tour sentiments about killing the ball, not that I ever did that of course (said ironically), but I fear that this is becoming thread drift!

Ian T

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ianathompson said:

The easisest answer to that is award a penalty try!

I totaly agree with tour sentiments about killing the ball, not that I ever did that of course (said ironically), but I fear that this is becoming thread drift!

Ian T

Don't worry about thread drift!

There have been a few PTs in Super Rugby this year. The key point is that the ref must be sure that a try would probably have been scored if it were not for the foul play (Law 8.3, paraphrased). This is quite a high bar, although not as high as it used to be ("almost certainly"). In yesterday's game, that would not have been an appropriate decision for any of the three yellow cards, in my eyes.

The crucial (and correct) yellow card was about eight minutes before full-time, which left the defenders in a deep hole from which they could not escape.

• Like 2