Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Our second potential new operator, Falko, came over this afternoon and, I'm delighted to say, took to the layout like a duck to water. We worked through another twenty trains or so on the dry run and he showed a particular interest in working the signal boxes. That's good, because the signalmen are critical to the whole operation and now that Pentowan signal box is in action it's handy to have a bit more flexibility in that regard.

Falko will be at our running session next week when, if all goes well, we will have three signalmen, two yardmasters and five drivers.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Looking at the passengers, perhaps you should name it "The Ghost Train" ?

My first thought when Martin sent me this was the Pillsbury Doughboys.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My first thought when Martin sent me this was the Pillsbury Doughboys.

I didn't have any proper OO figures to hand, so had to improvise!  And they are to the correct scale.  Well, maybe not the heads.  Anyway, all boxed up and ready to go out with Monday's post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, martink said:

I didn't have any proper OO figures to hand, so had to improvise!  And they are to the correct scale.  Well, maybe not the heads.  Anyway, all boxed up and ready to go out with Monday's post.

Thanks Martin. As we discussed, I've got a few ready to undergo microsurgery to replace the ghostly doughboys.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2024 at 07:43, Barry O said:

And there's me thinking a Shacketon fly past... oops!

Baz

Talking of Shackleton flypasts, I grew up on a small mixed farm in the 1950's which was about 10 miles north of RNAS Culdrose. We were used to the Gannets and Westlands flying around and didn't take much notice. However one summer evening we became aware of a very loud noise which rapidly got even louder. This turned out to be a Shackleton and four Gannets flying in formation almost directly over the farm buildings at less than 1,000 ft altitude.

I was thrilled at the sight, but my parents were less happy when the hens laid a lot less eggs for a few days and the cows were similarly very twitchy at milking time.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2024 at 10:05, St Enodoc said:

You stupid boy!

Corrected the quote for you Cap’n.

Paul.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2024 at 07:43, Barry O said:

And there's me thinking a Shacketon fly past... oops!

Baz

Hi Baz

You know that day he forced you to come all the way to mine, well in fact that long holiday he had. The time could have been spent on making the Shackleton instead. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Baz

You know that day he forced you to come all the way to mine, well in fact that long holiday he had. The time could have been spent on making the Shackleton instead. 

Wot, instead of playing trains?????

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Now that is an interesting point you raise there.

Building "that" model of a Shackleton or playing trains, which is time well spent? Over to @Barry O as a qualified umpire to decide.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Imagine the fun that you would have, lining up the Shackleton for an attack on the long rake of clay wagons….  Twice the fun!

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Imagine the fun that you would have, lining up the Shackleton for an attack on the long rake of clay wagons….  Twice the fun!

Hmm.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 16Brunel said:

Live streaming?...

No, sorry. Once we've had a couple of sessions and got used to the new sequence I'll ask Charles to make a new video, focussing on the branch line and terminus operations.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I've now sorted out all the paperwork for Saturday's running session, which is quite exciting as we'll be starting from the very beginning (a very good place to start...) and working out how best to run the new moves in the sequence. One of the most significant new aspects will be setting up and clearing consists. It's easy enough once you've done it a few times but can be a bit daunting at first, especially for those of us whose first language is not American.

Aside from that, there's a little mystery with the new radio cab, which is a bit frustrating but won't affect operation, as Charles will bring a spare throttle for the session.

If everyone turns up that has said they will, we will have twelve operators - five drivers, three signalmen, two yardmasters and a shunter/driver at each of Porthmellyn Road and Pentowan.

Should be fun!

You haven't mentioned refreshments.

No tea and food I am not coming.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No tea and food I am not coming.

Nor would any of the others.

Tea, coffee, hot snacks provided. Cakes, etc. at visitors' discretion.

Third Saturday of odd-numbered months. You would be very welcome.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Nor would any of the others.

Tea, coffee, hot snacks provided. Cakes, etc. at visitors' discretion.

Third Saturday of odd-numbered months. You would be very welcome.

Do train spotters get a pie and hot Bovril? (or equivalent 1950’s sustenance).  Just wondered, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3