Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
On 27/06/2022 at 22:17, St Enodoc said:

The Leuralla auction starts next weekend.

https://www.davidsonauctions.com.au/include-home-upcoming.html

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/10/2022 at 21:53, St Enodoc said:

The Leuralla auction starts next weekend.

https://www.davidsonauctions.com.au/include-home-upcoming.html

To save folk searching, the Beeson locos are lots 124 (Flying Scotsman), 125 (Sandringham) and 126 (J39).

Lot 22 would be nice, as would lots 355 and 3282 - but I don't think I've got anywhere to put those...

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
On 06/10/2022 at 21:19, St Enodoc said:

To save folk searching, the Beeson locos are lots 124 (Flying Scotsman), 125 (Sandringham) and 126 (J39).

Lot 22 would be nice, as would lots 355 and 3282 - but I don't think I've got anywhere to put those...

Lot 124 sold for $4500, 125 $7000, 126 $2500.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My woodwork sessions wouldn't be complete without some parts cut to the wrong size, or holes drilled in the wrong place

Ah, so I'm not the only one then.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Sharky said:

Very nice!
Just missing a block shelf, a duster & an armchair with the box cat curled up on it by the fire.

Ha, ha! The "block shelf" will be incorporated in the front of the panel; I have a duster but no armchair (the folding stool from a Swedish homeware emporium will have to do) or cat; and if there's a fire I'll be in big trouble.

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Not much action today other than applying some more dollops of plastic wood, as we had other things to do (on a lovely spring day, which was nice) in the City.

More progress next week with luck.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Looks like it should be all done when I next come along to create havoc!

Great work!

Baz

That’s the whole point of the frame - to prevent the creation of havoc!  Won’t stop you stitching yourself up, mind.

:-)

Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Looks like it should be all done when I next come along to create havoc!

Great work!

Baz

St Enodoc should be pretty well complete operationally. I don't think the head of nickel-silver will have progressed very far towards Pentowan though.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I keep thinking FCFSTB needs a Direction Of Flow indicator... Yes, such things do exist in the modern prototype. 

Not just the modern prototype, certain railways/regions used token instruments that had a “train going to/train coming” from indicator and WR 1970s Reversible Working had direction arrows on the panel.

For FCFSTB the LEDs give Direction of Flow don’t they?

Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Not just the modern prototype, certain railways/regions used token instruments that had a “train going to/train coming” from indicator and WR 1970s Reversible Working had direction arrows on the panel.

Paul.

Essentially, the rotary switches will do that. If both switches are synchronised correctly, then the corresponding LEDs are also lit.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 09/10/2022 at 17:46, St Enodoc said:

The casing consists of six main parts - two sides, fixed to the joists that support the frame itself; a front and a top (front), which are permanently joined at 90 degrees; a top (rear) which covers the interlocking; and a bottom, which protects the innards for accidental damage.

The sharp-eyed among you might have noticed that I haven't made the bottom. That's because I've decided not to. The extra depth of the St Enodoc casing compared to that at Porthmellyn Road, plus its smaller footprint, means that the the chance of body parts coming into contact with lever frame parts is much reduced, so for the sake of simplicity I've decided that the bottom isn't really needed. Time will tell...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

certain railways/regions used token instruments that had a “train going to/train coming” from indicator

There's one at the Mid-Hants, albeit not in use, that has a three position indicator with the labels in French...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

WR 1970s Reversible Working had direction arrows on the panel.

Yes, it was the 1970s I was thinking of, the new box at London Bridge 1976, where I was a temporary Traffic Regulator. The seven lines between North Kent East Junction and London Bridge were 1 Down, 2 Reversible, 3 Up, 4 Down, 5 Down, 6 Up and the Up Passenger Loop. The panel had a direction of flow indicator for 2 Reversible, which road was basically used for the fast trains to/from Cannon St, which only ran in the peaks - up in the morning, down in the evening, of course.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

And on lines worked by acceptance lever the 'box diagram included a white 'Accepted By' indicator - same size and shape cutout  as the WR diagram standard track circuit occupancy light cutout.

I've an idea that direction indicators might have been used on some single line sections on WR panels prior to reversible signalling coming in.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Yes, it was the 1970s I was thinking of, the new box at London Bridge 1976, where I was a temporary Traffic Regulator. The seven lines between North Kent East Junction and London Bridge were 1 Down, 2 Reversible, 3 Up, 4 Down, 5 Down, 6 Up and the Up Passenger Loop. The panel had a direction of flow indicator for 2 Reversible, which road was basically used for the fast trains to/from Cannon St, which only ran in the peaks - up in the morning, down in the evening, of course.

Typical. You SE types are all the same. You've missed out the four Central running lines - continuing from where you left off the Down Main, Up Main, Down South London and Up South London, making a total of 11 running lines between London Bridge and Blue Anchor.

Fortunately, I never needed to go there, as our on-call area ended at South Bermondsey Junction (inclusive). I did have some fun times at New Cross Gate though (that's a sentence you don't see very often).

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 6
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2