Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

Here is my A10 nearing completion. Note mine has the later roof vent configuration. One vent from each compartment was removed in the 1920's. I also put later bogies on as many received 9ft plate in the 1930's. This kit, too came from a bereavement sale, with castings missing needing new bogies anyway.  Width spacers are a must on these coaches as it is so easy to push the sides in. The roof has been assembled with a false ceiling with arc spacers to prevent sagging. Later kits had a brass roof. I glue my roof down as I have only had to remove a handful of roof sections over the years. Note also the toilet window which usually had an inner frame with an opening top section. My BR images all have them, though it could have been replaced.

In the past I had the Mallard kits for both the A10 and 11, bought in the days when I went for any GWR coach kit. I sold them on as my research increased as it is a challenge in finding a train to use it on. Comps were preferred to the West with the Birmingham and Wales route route mainly using all first.  Apart from boat trains, I know of only one train, to the West that had a regular first in the consist, the 16:30 to Plymouth which was usually an A13. This one will be used in a Paddington- Weston train that ran via Devizes. My excuse is Devizes is shut for track maintenance and the through corridor trains are reversing at Westbury. I asked David Geen why he did not produce the A13 as it is the only steel service stock toplight from that period missing from his range. The answer was they were not used in any of the train formations in his period using the genuine working timetables he has.

I look forward to seeing the finished item on your impressive layout.

My container arrives this week so coach building should resume, in Brisbane, when I can find some flux.

Mike Wiltshire

A10lr.jpg.51faa54f519514d47e8c7aed342880f4.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

This one will be used in a Paddington- Weston train that ran via Devizes. My excuse is Devizes is shut for track maintenance and the through corridor trains are reversing at Westbury.

Coming from W-s-M going to Uni in London (IC) this brings back an interesting long-lost and strong memories. Going home one weekend half-term and knowing the route well enough I was disturbed to find myself in unknown territory when my Weston bound train did much as you described. It was getting dark so probably late Feb and my concerns grew as the scenery disappeared to black. Finally back home it took a long time for me to find out the why/ wheres.

Suffered similar mystery tours when travelling back from Weston to Crewe then Wilmslow after weekends at home pre-uni. Long detours via Newport for trackworks and then an obscure and 11 hour route up the border which still escapes me!

Thx for the memory jog. Do give me a heads up if you come to Melbourne, we may share a long distant relative! Some of my troup inserted a "t" in the family name, as well as every schoolteacher I ever had.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/08/2022 at 08:05, St Enodoc said:

Two pairs (one for now, one for Ron...) of 14xx traction tyres are now on their way from Yorkshire for a very reasonable price - thanks Andy @acg5324!

The tyres arrived today - many thanks Andy!

I'll report back when I've had a chance to fit them.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 04/09/2022 at 18:20, St Enodoc said:

The bracketed Up Home (20/21) from the Wheal Veronica branch is missing. That's because one of the wires that operate the bracket arm fell out and I couldn't get it to go back in and stay in, so I'll have to make up some new wires with longer tails.

I repaired 20/21 signal tonight - a little more fiddly than building it in the first place. I think that the reason it fell apart was that the pivot pin for one of the cranks had worked loose, allowing the wire to fall out. This time round I used longer tails and squeezed the ends flat to hold them in. A drop of solvent at the back and I think all should be well.

I'll darken the new wires with a felt-tip pen and install the signal at the weekend.

Edited by St Enodoc
speling
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 45568 said:

Hi John,

Another wagon from Amanda Moger, the rebuilt wooden 'Grano'. Possibly of interest?

DSCN0651.JPG.64804d3137f5f5eb806248055cba8e7b.JPG

DSCN0652.JPG.fd57311e2d89cecc7c606f85c4878cac.JPG

Cheers from WA,

Peter C.

Thanks - looks good.

Yes, there are quite a number on her list that are "possibly of interest"! I've got a couple of K's kits of the later version, one running and one not yet built, which is probably enough to be going on with at the moment.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I've got a couple of K's kits of the later version, one running and one not yet built, which is probably enough to be going on with at the moment.

I have brought a couple to build myself. I am tempted by the older ones though I will have yet to find an excuse to them as they usually ran between Birkenhead and Wrexham. Special grain consignment from the Channel Islands due into Weymouth is favourite.

Mike Wiltshire

gRANO.jpg.cece4c279ce97fcffd6740f310896a8d.jpg

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

The next step to getting the signals working is to build the relay modules that will interface between the 9V dc points/signals power supply from the lever frame and the 1.5V dc regulated supply to the memory wire actuators.

125218867_20220910001SEsignalrelaymodulebases.JPG.27cd3ec4fb081fb1bfca0fda57720660.JPG

There will be 18 working signals (8 disc is a dummy, as you will recall), so today I made up the relay module bases for these - a simple but repetitive job.

The choccy blocks are screwed to the bases, the relays are hot-glued and the hole is for a screw to fix the module to a convenient L-girder or joist. Once they're wired up I can instal them in groups under the layout then connect them both to the lever frame and the signals.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

A parcel has arrived from Hatton's with a Bachmann banner repeater in it, which will be made to work as the Treloggan Junction Up Branch Starting Signal repeater (just where the branch disappears through the bridge and the backscene to Polperran).

@Clive Mortimore will be delighted to know that, to make the postage worthwhile, the parcel also included two second-hand EFE Southern National coaches. One is yet another Bristol LS in cream/green livery on a Royal Blue service and the other is a Duple-bodied half cab AEC Regal III, also in cream/green. Possibly both are slightly out of period but they look nice. Not quite sure yet which bridge(s) they'll clog up.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 10
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

A parcel has arrived from Hatton's with a Bachmann banner repeater in it, which will be made to work as the Treloggan Junction Up Branch Starting Signal repeater (just where the branch disappears through the bridge and the backscene to Polperran).

@Clive Mortimore will be delighted to know that, to make the postage worthwhile, the parcel also included two second-hand EFE Southern National coaches. One is yet another Bristol LS in cream/green livery on a Royal Blue service and the other is a Duple-bodied half cab AEC Regal III, also in cream/green. Possibly both are slightly out of period but they look nice. Not quite sure yet which bridge(s) they'll clog up.

You need to build more bridges. 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

I’ll have to remember that as an excuse for a meal out.  My 47th passed two weeks ago yesterday.  Or is it cheating seeing as I’m fully retired?

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Running session tomorrow, so I tidied up the railway room this morning then went out with Veronica for a long lunch to celebrate the 48th anniversary of my starting work in the rail industry.

As predicted, after that I didn't do much at all, model railways or otherwise.

Time for an escape plan.. we met 47 years ago.. lummy.. club members for 46 years.. how time flies when you are having fun!!

Baz

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2022 at 12:13, St Enodoc said:

Running session tomorrow, so I tidied up the railway room this morning then went out with Veronica for a long lunch to celebrate the 48th anniversary of my starting work in the rail industry.

As predicted, after that I didn't do much at all, model railways or otherwise.

Bloomin' strappers (as they say in South Wales).  

This summer was the 57th anniversary of starting work in the rail industry but as it was only a summer holiday job in the Stationmaster's Office at Paddington it probably doesn't really count.   However a week or two back was the 56th anniversary of my starting full time on BR and the start of what was to be just over a quarter of a century working on the Western.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 10