Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Excellent work on the Point, looks like it's lived there all it's life, very neat.

Thanks Andy, appreciate that. As you can see, the matt brown vinyl paint looks the part, and when it is all ballasted and weathered then it should all blend in nicely.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Followers of Gwiwer's "Penhayle Bay" layout topic will know that the layout is about to be closed due to his forthcoming relocation to the UK.

On Monday evening this week I was fortunate enough to visit Rick and the layout, together with Sandwich Station of this parish, while I was in Melbourne on business. Rick and I had discussed previously the possibility of my acquiring the station buildings from Treheligan Junction. I am happy to say that a deal was done and the three buildings flew back in my cabin baggage with me to Sydney last night.

The only damage was that one of the valances on the platform shelter had become detached, which was easily fixed, so tonight I took them out to the railway room - partly to get them out of the way but mainly to see how they looked at Porthmellyn Road.

I think that they look very good indeed in their new home.

20170412002formerTreheliganstationbuildings.JPG.c3cddbc76a87027de331c9b652522674.JPG

20170412003formerTreheliganstationbuildings.JPG.efb676af6d76e7ad28d30ecb412a9d9f.JPG

The island platform building and shelter are modified Ratio kits, while the main building on the Down platform is the Hornby Skaledale model of Dunster station in Somerset.

Now we have in a sense come full circle, because I scratchbuilt the buildings on the first St Enodoc layout using the plans of Dunster from the Ericplans book way back in the 1970s.

31bw7715atStEnodoc-TerryOnslow.jpg.7af0099253cde250ea6068a17cb0e704.jpg

I refurbished the signal box for the current St Enodoc but the station building and goods shed had deteriorated to the extent that they couldn't be reused. It's therefore somehow fitting that Porthmellyn Road station building is a model of the same prototype.

Many thanks Rick for all the pleasure that Penhayle Bay has given us over the years and I am honoured to have been able to preserve a little of its heritage.

Once again, I wish you and Sharon every success and happiness in your new home and I look forward to reading a new layout thread in due course.

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Thanks seems a trifle inadequate John as it was a pleasure to have you here and to accord to yourself the honour of being the very last person to visit Penhayle Bay.  I am delighted to be able to contribute in a material way to your project and at the same time know that some of my own workmanship, in terms of kit-bashing, painting and weathering, will live on with you.

The house seems much barer now as since your visit significant amounts of furniture have departed and the kitchen-diner where we enjoyed pizza and beers on Monday is now all but empty.

I shall post updates on the relocation and in due course a new project will emerge from the contents of a 20-foot shipping container which is due into London on 29th June.

Thank you for your good wishes.  Likewise returned.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I spot SJR Mk42 couplings on St Enodoc Mk1.. brings back a lot of memories.

Baz

Yes, with Sprat & Winkle permanent magnets. There is one just in front of the cattle wagons - the hump in the ballast gives it away.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good news, bad news...

The Hornby Colletts in maroon livery are in stock at my favourite retailer. :)

Only the brake seconds and composites are on the shelves. The all-seconds haven't arrived yet. :(

• RMweb Gold

Good news, bad news...

The Hornby Colletts in maroon livery are in stock at my favourite retailer. :)

Only the brake seconds and composites are on the shelves. The all-seconds haven't arrived yet. :(

Brake 2nd - Composite - Brake 2nd plus a couple of vans makes for a nice "stopper".

• RMweb Premium

Brake 2nd - Composite - Brake 2nd plus a couple of vans makes for a nice "stopper".

I agree Joseph but I already have plenty of those in crimson and cream. I only have maroon SKs on order.

• RMweb Premium

The SKs (or TKs as Hornby describe them, even though Third had become Second by the time they were painted maroon) have now caught up with their cousins and are in stock, so mine should be hitting the airways pretty soon.

No layout work over Easter as we went off to country Victoria for a very enjoyable weekend which involved eating, drinking, walking, shopping, being massaged and of course riding on a train.

I'm sure Peter from Melbourne will enjoy this and will give us chapter and verse on what and where it is.

2017041602791RMMuskStation.JPG.b5a890eebc5ecae92c798d85120e33e2.JPG

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure Peter from Melbourne will enjoy this and will give us chapter and verse on what and where it is.

Rick from Melbourne will too.  That's Bullarto isn't it?  The terminus of the Central Highlands Tourist Railway from Daylesford.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 18/04/2017 at 21:24, Gwiwer said:

Rick from Melbourne will too.  That's Bullarto isn't it?  The terminus of the Central Highlands Tourist Railway from Daylesford.

Rick, it is indeed the CHTR (Daylesford Spa Country Railway) but it's not Bullarto.

These are though:

2017041602491RMBullartoStation.JPG.9868d5937ff773e9005a1cc98868b27c.JPG

2017041602591RMBullartoStation.JPG.cd37a326e6969770b6efdc42cc64e397.JPG

If I tell you that the first one isn't Daylesford either it shouldn't be too hard to pick up the scent...

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 3

I would have had to look up the station but knew it was the Daylesford  tourist railway. Which I still haven't done.

I am no expert on the trains here in Vic but it looks like a Walker railmotor though different to the one I have seen at Healesville.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-29323000-1492516597_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I would have had to look up the station but knew it was the Daylesford  tourist railway. Which I still haven't done.

I am no expert on the trains here in Vic but it looks like a Walker railmotor though different to the one I have seen at Healesville.

Cheers Peter.

Yes Peter, it's one of the bigger Walkers with a passenger saloon either side of the central diesel power unit.

Yes Peter, it's one of the bigger Walkers with a passenger saloon either side of the central diesel power unit.

I think they have one at Mornington though still under restoration.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Rick, it is indeed the CHTR (Daylesford Spa Country Railway) but it's not Bullarto.

It's Musk.

Funny.  You will see my post is edited.  I originally had it as Musk, posted, looked twice and again at the trees and my own photos and decided it was actually Ballarto.  Musk is the intermediate station and terminus of the first morning service from Daylesford at least on some days.  

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Peter.

I am no expert on this Aussie stuff either but isn't the Daylesford one a DERM and the Healesville one a Walker?  DERM being Diesel-electric Railmotor.  Effectively a DEMU to us from the Mother Country ;)

• RMweb Premium

It's Musk.

Funny.  You will see my post is edited.  I originally had it as Musk, posted, looked twice and again at the trees and my own photos and decided it was actually Ballarto.  Musk is the intermediate station and terminus of the first morning service from Daylesford at least on some days.  

Yes it is. A bit of a stinker as the train usually only stops there for safeworking purposes. However, the preceding train was late so they let us walk around until it had cleared the section to Daylesford.

• RMweb Premium

I am no expert on this Aussie stuff either but isn't the Daylesford one a DERM and the Healesville one a Walker?  DERM being Diesel-electric Railmotor.  Effectively a DEMU to us from the Mother Country ;)

It's definitely a Walker but I'm not sure if it's a DERM or mechanical transmission. I'll check later unless young Peter comes in first although now he's back at school he might not be able to read this yet.

Daylesford has three types of railmotors that I know of but there could be more.

They have the large Walker which last I saw was being painted, they have the DRC, which NSW had a few of and they have the Derm.

Of the Walkers there were 3 types, 102 HP, 153HP and the big one 250HP (I think).

The 2 small walkers look similar, with the motor at one end and pivoted just behind that, the 250 has the motor in the centre.

Given they were built as a VERY short term fill in they lasted a Looong time.

Hope that is of help.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting. With no knowledge of Australian railways at all, I thought it looked like a County Donegal railcar- they were all Walkers.

How fascinating Alan. Until I read this and then did some googling I had assumed that the Australian Walker's cars were from Walkers Ltd of Maryborough, Queensland. I now find that the equipment was shipped out from Walker Bros of Wigan, the bodies were built by Martin & King at Malvern, VIC and the final assembly was done at Victorian Railways' Newport Workshops.

https://www.railpage.com.au/locos/walker-railmotor-280hp

http://www.auscisionmodels.com.au/280HP%20Walker%20Rail%20Car%20Page.htm

Thanks for putting me right on this!

Hi John,

You got me interested in the Walker railcars and where else they turned up.

Walkers had an early design for the CDRJC in railcar 14, but their final bodywork was on numbers 19 and 20 built, I think, in 1948:

http://www.island-images.co.uk/Rail/Railstock/SteamLoco/No20-1.html

This was the one that reminded me of the Victorian Railways design.

Shortly afterwards, they built an almost identical pair for the West Clare Railway:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tramwayjohn/5566027280

And for the Mirboo Railway (which I had never heard of until I went looking.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tramwayjohn/5483505665/in/photostream/

I also see a picture on John Coyle's flickr site of a Tasmanian Walker unit that closely resembles the one they built for the SLNCR:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tramwayjohn/5565322336/in/photostream/

A drawing of the SLNCR unit is here:

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/content.php/320-SLNCR-Railcar-B-Drawings

And there's an incomplete build here:

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/2788-SLNCR-Railcar-B

Note the way the cab and motor in the County Donegal units are separate from the body and are articulated to it. I see that in the Victorian units they used a separate motor unit between the two cars, rather than a power unit in the cab or a power bogie. That design was used by the GNR(I) in its pioneering railcars from the 1930s, units D, E, F and G, which I think Walkers might also have been involved in building.

When I went looking for a photo of the Great Northern units, the best picture I could find was here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108625-pre-br-first-generation-dmu-railcar-development-not-steam/

As usual, if I want to find someone who knows more about a topic than I do, rmweb is the site that pops up. John Mayne who now lives in New Zealand knows more about Irish railways than I ever will.

The GNR(I) owned [have] half of the County Donegal under the County Donegal Railways Joint Committee. The other half was owned by the NCC, which in turn was owned by the Midland, later LMS.

Anyway, this little diversion has nothing to do with the GWR in Cornwall, so I'll let your thread get back on topic. Thanks for broadening my horizon.

Alan

[Edited to change 'have' to 'half']

Edited by islandbridgejct