'Bishop Street'

georgeT

Hello Polly / JasonT / Al / Andy / Bob.

Thanks a lot for all the important information and guidelines its all very helpful believe me, l have a rough idea of what l want now, but still a lot of head scratching to be done (unusual for me) hahahaha..

George

Well mate, you've heard from the EXPERTS with experience at building long standing quality Layouts, Jason, Ray, Al, etc. And there are loads more on here, Little Bytham, Peterborough North, Grantham, Eastwood Town, A Nod to Brent, Much Murkle, and that's not even scratching the surface. Some are Prototype locations some are not, bit either way they are all quality Layouts because they have been researched and detailed to ensure as near to accuracy as possible.

Now as you well know, I have dodged from Modern Image to Steam and back again, not to mention a short flurry into O Gauge, :O  (I SAID DONT MENTION THE O GAUGE) :nono:  :nono: but this time with Bitton I wanted a long term project, in some respects I do wonder why, but then I come back to the fact that all my previous layouts have bored me after a few Months, and been sold on, with one exception, and that was Glen Roy. With Glen Roy, I took a real Place and put it into a fictional layout. I made sure that at Shows I ran the correct Locos, I ran the correct coaches, I ran the correct wagons and I operated it as near to prototype as I could so I was getting complete satisfaction from knowing I was as near right as I wanted to be.

Jason and Al have gone overboard to model their chosen location, Ray has kept Camel Quay true to a Fictional Location by using the correct stock and then building a story around it, but has spent time making and altering sock to suit to ensure its authentic.

Maybe you don't actually want a Model Railway at all, Maybe you just want to have a photographic plank in which to sit your latest purchase,

but I think not. :no:

What you need is a goal,

Not one that will be easily achievable in 6 Months.

Not one where you can knock up a few points and get them to fit like a train set.

Not a set of warehouses where there is no identity to its origins.

Not a Layout where operation is whilly nilly and pointless.

Not a Layout that has no real end meaning.

Not a Layout that has no sense of belonging to a place in time or location.

In short not what you or I have done in the past.

Hmmm.............what,   is there left to try, then ?................Thinking Cap's on fellas'.............. :scratchhead:...........  :drag:

Morning George,

Been laid low by a nasty bug for a few days but now seem to be on the mend. You certainly have had a lot of very good advice from many of your friends on here so I hope you can come up with something that satisfies you. I certainly wouldn't finalise anything until you visit Stafford with Andy and perhaps something there will give you further inspiration.

I think Ray mentioned it first, but endorsed by others, it really looks like a good idea to work on other projects alongside the layout so you've always got something 'on the go' if your interest wanes a little - have you thought of another loco kit (your earlier work in brass looked really impressive!) or stock building like Shaun and Jason seem to get real satisfaction from?

Bet the 'Bodge' will want an update on your application of his 'commandments' when you next meet - how lucky to have a friend you can rely on like that though!

Look forward to following you through the process - I'm now dreaming up planning strategies most nights as well!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi George - Maybe that time has come to stand back for a while, visit a few shows, then see how you feel after that - Not worth starting something that you have not got your heart into - I am sure you will get your Modelling Mojo back after getting Inspiration from various shows.

And I am not joking when I say that you may be missing O Gauge more than you think - Just look at all the superb results you have achieved in 7mm Modelling in the past  :yes:, you certainly Inspired me to start my own Depot after chatting to you and watching your videos :good:.

Cheers, Bob.

Hello Bob / Jock.

Been in very deep discussions with the Baron via many telephone phone calls, over the next project, nothing sorted as yet but things are looking up as there are many different avenues to go down ?

not so puzzled George

Hello Bob / Jock.

Been in very deep discussions with the Baron via many telephone phone calls, over the next project, nothing sorted as yet but things are looking up as there are many different avenues to go down ?

not so puzzled George

The Phone Bill's in the post Mate, or you can just let me have the SOUND 37 in Railfreight Grey back as payment, ahhahhahhah

Morning RayH.

Don't start me off on that, if only l had the time, money and room, my what we could do ? hahaha but looks like l will have to compromise again and have a small diesel plank and a small steam plank then l would have the best of both worlds hahaha roll on Stafford, hopefully l might get some nice ideas, who knows...are you going to the show Ray ??

George

• RMweb Premium

Morning RayH.

Don't start me off on that, if only l had the time, money and room, my what we could do ? hahaha but looks like l will have to compromise again and have a small diesel plank and a small steam plank then l would have the best of both worlds hahaha roll on Stafford, hopefully l might get some nice ideas, who knows...are you going to the show Ray ??

George

I wonder if any of us could say with all honesty what our maximum realistic space and budget would be?

I am contemplating making the trip to Stafford. Its a show that I've never been to before. I'd like to see the layouts frequently mentioned on RMweb. The best trains seem to be on Saturday so that would probably be the day I come.

Hello RayH,

Me and Bodgit will be operating 'Deesdale Road' with PeterBB, but will be having a few tours of the show, it is always a cracking show with 40+ layouts, hope to see you there...

George

Morning Guys.

Well l got the said 37 out of its box and fired it up, sounds great, and that has really put the cat among the pigeons ? hahahaha

Happier George

Hello RayH,

Me and Bodgit will be operating 'Deesdale Road' with PeterBB, but will be having a few tours of the show, it is always a cracking show with 40+ layouts, hope to see you there...

George

Evening Mate, yes we will have a good day, loads to see and you never know I may come home with something in the bag.

If its another Sound Loco then that's all right, but I could do with some more 16T Minerals, I had a count up the other night and I have 37, and 4 put away at a local shop for collection in a couple of weeks. I honestly thought I had more than that, but I need about 65 to 70 in total, so still some way to go yet.

How long did you say that shed was?

Hi Ray, the long Storage Loops will hold about 25 - 27 plus a Loco, so I need a rake of Full and a rake of Empties, and the about 10 for Bitton Yard as well.

Sorry to Hijack your thread George.

How about for Bishops Street the first in a selection of small dioramas such as Neil, (MASON) does for his Little Layout Company, something like 6ft x 15inches and then you could vary each one from a Steam Shed to a Diesel Depot, an Engineers Yard for a Warehouse for example, each would be a total change from the last, and each could run different stock.

Plus as they wouldn't take long to build so you wouldn't get bored as you tend to do with bigger longer projects

Plus each could be sold as you did with Ashcombe to fund the next.

Hi Ray, the long Storage Loops will hold about 25 - 27 plus a Loco, so I need a rake of Full and a rake of Empties, and the about 10 for Bitton Yard as well.

Sorry to Hijack your thread George.

How about for Bishops Street the first in a selection of small dioramas such as Neil, (MASON) does for his Little Layout Company, something like 6ft x 15inches and then you could vary each one from a Steam Shed to a Diesel Depot, an Engineers Yard for a Warehouse for example, each would be a total change from the last, and each could run different stock.

Plus as they wouldn't take long to build so you wouldn't get bored as you tend to do with bigger longer projects

Plus each could be sold as you did with Ashcombe to fund the next.

I like the sound of this idea. But, what about the feasibility of keeping three of them, building a fourth and deciding which one to sell (numbers can be varied). It would also be a good way to showcase all of your skills.

Another thought. How about three modules Depot, Engineers Yard and Warehouse all with the same entry and exit points for each board that you could swap round. Each one could be operated on its own or together in any configuration at shows.

Another thought. How about three modules Depot, Engineers Yard and Warehouse all with the same entry and exit points for each board that you could swap round. Each one could be operated on its own or together in any configuration at shows.

Depending on your chosen era and location I have always thought a 'Minories' style layout would be ideal for this - search for 'Minories 1982' here on the forum for a general idea: include station, junction, MPD and goods yard, all of which can be added to/ altered/ fitted in different configurations.

Hello Mate.

The simple answer to your question is NO, l'm at a complete loss and have a massive big loss of mojo and interest ?

Clueless George

Ah !   join the club George,   January blues, at least we don't have to attend the local A&E and applying for a sick note from the GP.= waiting time 3. week's, for an appointment.

Join the self help group, and get over it soon.

Morning David,

Glad to hear that l am not the only one, anyway l am thinking of modelling some sort of engineers yard between 1985 and 1995 which is the favourite period for me and Bodgit, some photos of the sort of stock l am talking about...

Sorted George

post-7716-0-83423400-1420884170_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-24030100-1420884173_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-18075800-1420884175_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-93437700-1420884176_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-68069000-1420884178_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-93241800-1420884179_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-44140200-1420884181_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-90145100-1420884182_thumb.jpg

Morning Guys.

Well l got the said 37 out of its box and fired it up, sounds great, and that has really put the cat among the pigeons ? hahahaha

Happier George

:no:  :no:

Evening Mate, yes we will have a good day, loads to see and you never know I may come home with something in the bag.

If its another Sound Loco then that's all right, but I could do with some more 16T Minerals, I had a count up the other night and I have 37, and 4 put away at a local shop for collection in a couple of weeks. I honestly thought I had more than that, but I need about 65 to 70 in total, so still some way to go yet.

2. Ferrets and a brace of Rabbits.........at least, you will be able to eat.

• RMweb Gold

Morning George

I've learnt pretty quickly that to maintain interest in a layout, pretty extensive planning and forethought is vital. You have to be absolutely certain that what you build is going to keep you interested for quite an extended period of time otherwise it can feel like time wasted at the end.

Whatever you come up with however I'll undoubtedly follow with interest, as I've always enjoyed your modelling.

Obligatory joke about when grass is going to start appearing...

Nestor

Archived