Glyn Valley Tramway Couplings for O-16.5

Jeff Smith

As I do research and contemplate my proposed O-16.5 GVT layout I'm wondering what couplings other modellers might be using.  According to reference material the GVT used a centre buffer with lower cutout to accommodate a link and hook or rigid link, together with side chains.

Initially I favoured Kadees but to make full use of the magnetic uncoupling would mean providing non-magnetic axles and wheels; or dispensing with the magnetic uncoupling feature, in which case removing the trip pin would improve the appearance somewhat.

Then, from an appearance point of view I was leaning towards Branchlines or similar chopper couplings but vehicles have to stay facing the same direction as choppers are installed on one end only - GVT tram locos were required to always (despite photographic evidence to the contrary) travel cab-first so were turned at each terminus.  This would mean no choppers on the loco (this would then look almost correct) but choppers on both ends of the coach rake.....

As I do research and contemplate my proposed O-16.5 GVT layout I'm wondering what couplings other modellers might be using.  According to reference material the GVT used a centre buffer with lower cutout to accommodate a link and hook or rigid link, together with side chains.

Initially I favoured Kadees but to make full use of the magnetic uncoupling would mean providing non-magnetic axles and wheels; or dispensing with the magnetic uncoupling feature, in which case removing the trip pin would improve the appearance somewhat.

Then, from an appearance point of view I was leaning towards Branchlines or similar chopper couplings but vehicles have to stay facing the same direction as choppers are installed on one end only - GVT tram locos were required to always (despite photographic evidence to the contrary) travel cab-first so were turned at each terminus.  This would mean no choppers on the loco (this would then look almost correct) but choppers on both ends of the coach rake.....

Apparently these are good.

http://www.zamzoodled.co.uk/Chopper_Couplers/cat782234_725606.aspx

Martin

Some years ago I tried the disc on the front of the bar of Airfix small tension lock couplers but had to give up as the slot in the disc for the hooks  had to be almost as wide as the disc or one hook had to be removed as they need quite a lot of side movement when negotiating curves or the hooks bear on the side of each other and cause derailments. I also found that I had to thin the bar down or the thickness of the disc made the couplings were too tight. I would think that the same would apply to the newer couplings but haven't tried so am not sure.

By the way Eric, whereabouts in Derby are you, I'm based in Littleover?  

Phil T.  

• RMweb Premium

Phil T.

Eric - another from Derby here - and looking at the little loco in your avatar I hope you will be interested in our Narrow Gauge get together at Mickleover Community Centre in a couple of weeks time - even better if you can come for the day and have something to display !

Details here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94021-7mm-narrow-gauge-mickleover-derby-24th-jan-2015/

Wouldn't Bemo/Peco 00-9 chopper/hook & loop couplers work just as well?

Or the newer Hornby/Bachmann tension lock couplers with an indented disc glued to the horizontal bar?

Just a suggestion.

Eric

peco now make the bemo type that fit in to nem pockets and also make the pockits

Phil T.  

The sunny uplands of Allestree here!

The Mickleover show is pencilled in my diary

Eric

PS oops I hope this isn't a list hijack!

• RMweb Premium

The sunny uplands of Allestree here!

The Mickleover show is pencilled in my diary

Eric

PS oops I hope this isn't a list hijack!

Great - we all look forward to meeting you . . . . . . . .

Apologies to Jeff who is just too far away to come and join us - hopefully we can get some photos online to show him what he's missed

• 1 month later...

Eric, Mike,

Just wondered how the show went....any good photos?

I am in the process of ordering some Branchlines choppers for evaluation on my Peco 4-wheel coaches as I think they may fit the existing slots and fixing points.  Further reading about the GVT operation reveals that the coaches were never turned as only the roadsides were fitted with steps but I am hoping that the couplings will allow the unused chopper to be rotated back out of the way.  The Branchlines couplings also come with side chains.

• RMweb Premium

Eric, Mike,

Just wondered how the show went....any good photos?

Sorry Jeff but I haven't seen any photos posted anywhere. I didn't really get a chance to see much of the show - I think we had 6 layouts there, 5 traders and 4 demonstrators. Attendance about 80 with some travelling quite a distance to be there - as for me, I spent most of my time in the kitchen washing the pots as my wife and her friend were providing bacon cobs, jacket potatoes and of course lots of tea !!

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the process of ordering some Branchlines choppers for evaluation on my Peco 4-wheel coaches as I think they may fit the existing slots and fixing points.  Further reading about the GVT operation reveals that the coaches were never turned as only the roadsides were fitted with steps but I am hoping that the couplings will allow the unused chopper to be rotated back out of the way.  The Branchlines couplings also come with side chains.

Branchlines choppers have now been received and a pair soldered up - one with chopper, one without.  First impression is that the buffer is about to scale but the chopper looks too big.  I have fitted to the ends of two Peco coaches using the Peco coupling support block and the middle hole in the coupler/buffer tab.  I found I had to file the back face of the buffer to allow the buffer to swing within the buffer beam slot.  The coaches do couple but there is no centering spring so the couplings have to be in line - however they do both push and pull satisfactorily around an 18" radius.  The chopper will not swing back far enough with this arrangement to allow all buffers to be chopper equipped.

post-7723-0-37338000-1427123820_thumb.jpgpost-7723-0-93066900-1427123837_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-75541800-1427123854_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Ok, time for an update. 

Branchline choppers are out.....hard to couple and un-couple also sometimes un-coupled for no apparent reason.  These are not prototypical for the GVT anyway so a re-think lead me back to Kadees.  As my circular 16.5mm layout has On30 on one side and (will have) O-16.5 on the other with through running, I looked again at standardising on the Bachmann On30 coupler type and height - this is actually common to HO as well.  By chance the coupler mounting block as supplied with the Peco wagon and coach kits is the exact height required to mount a Kadee gear-box (#242) and either a Bachmann EZ-Mate II or Kadee Whisker coupler (#143).  All that is required is to cut away enough of the buffer beam to accommodate the gear-box width.  The gear-box is moulded in polystyrene so can be glued in place with solvent.  The lid can be just clipped in to hold the coupler or a 1/4" 2-56 screw installed in a suitably tapped hole in the Peco coupling mounting block.

This was however a non-starter with the steel wheels and axles as supplied by Peco; they would uncouple every time the wagon was pulled over a magnet as it would jump forward when approaching the magnet allowing the couplings to open.  Hornby non-magnetic die-cast 1/2" wagon wheels (R8098) were purchased and re-mounted on brass 2mm axles from the Proto:87 stores.  These now run and couple/un-couple as well as the Bachmann On30 stock.

post-7723-0-14542900-1435171168_thumb.jpg

Archived